Has Anyone Bought A Printer From Tastyfoto Art?

Decorating By apromisekept Updated 21 Jun 2005 , 11:35pm by Kiddiekakes

apromisekept Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apromisekept Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 7:23am
post #1 of 18

I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS BOUGHT THE PRINTER ,INKS AND THE EDIBLE SHEETS FROM TASTY FOTO ART? IF SO, HOW BIG ARE THE PRINTS AND ARE THEY LIKE THE ONES LIKE THE BAKERY AT WALMART? THE CANON PRINTER AND THE EXTRAS ARE ONLY $200 AND SOMETHING, CAN'T REMEMBER THE EXACT PRICE, BUT IT IS BETTER THAN $1OOO. I AM INTERESTED IN BUYING ONE FOR MY HOME. ANY INFO WOULD HELP . THANKS

17 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 7:37am
post #2 of 18

Those are standard size canon printers and will print 10 x 7.5" images. You can buy the printer (iP1500 or iP3000) at www.amazon.com or a new one off eBay. Some have gotten one new for as little as $20 and $30. Inks are $30-$50 and paper is $30 (www.kopykake.com). I spent $110 to get all my stuff.

apromisekept Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apromisekept Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 7:54am
post #3 of 18

LISA, SO IF I BOUGHT MY OWN COPIER ,WHAT ALL DO I NEED TO BUY TO GET STARTED? AND WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE IP1500 AND THE IP3000? WHAT SIZE PRINTER DO I NEED TO MAKE LARGER IMAGES ,FOR FULL SHEET CAKES? THANKS ALOT!

Lisa Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 8:05am
post #4 of 18

You would need the printer, the ink and frosting sheets to get started. Eventually, you'd also want to get the cleaning cartridges and the refill kit.

The iP1500 is a 2 cartridge system. Uses only 2 cartridges, ink costs less then a 4 cartridge but there is less ink in the cartridges. Good if you'll be printing just a couple images a week.

The iP3000 is a 4 cartridge. Good if you'll be printing a few images a day.

I use a 2 cartridge. I'm happy with the quality. I refill my ink cartridges so them holding less ink isn't an issue for me.

To print the larger images, you could purchase legal size frosting sheets...I've never used them but MrsMissey has. Maybe she can tell you more about them.

If you want to print wider than the 7.5", you'd need a large/wide format canon bubblejet printer. Those cost anywhere from $600 to over a thousand.

gotcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gotcake Posted 18 Jun 2005 , 3:18am
post #5 of 18

We bought the iP3000 from newegg(64.95) with the rebate they still are offering it is 44.95 and shipping FedEx saver of 2.95...GREAT DEAL!
I also bought the tastyfotoart papers and ink.... the paper has no taste at all...It's potato paper and even when printed on its tasteless. The papers have no backing to remove but they are not a solid white they are opaque.
But they are strong. Here is a small print sample that we did for a cake it was only 1.5" tall

And here is the link to the NewEgg deal... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16828102153
Its a great deal for a canon ip3000.
LL

dragonwarlord1969 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonwarlord1969 Posted 18 Jun 2005 , 10:37am
post #6 of 18

Hi Teddybearmom! I got mine on ebay for $30 and turned around and sold the cartridges for $17. My printer ended up costing me $13 I don't include shipping costs, it makes it sound better! thumbs_up.gif Just a thought to help reduce costs if your gonna solely use the printer for edible images.

Joe

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 18 Jun 2005 , 1:10pm
post #7 of 18

I'm glad this came up again! After the images I paid $10 each for yesterday, i'm ready to buy a system. I've been laying everything out and taking to get printed and the scanner where I get mine copied at always adjusts the image bigger or smaller according to what it thinks I want and it's never what I want. I spend the time laying things out exactly as I want them and they never end up looking that way in the end. I think maybe the operator just doesn't know how to set the machine ~ anyhow ~ I am finally ready!

Debbie

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 18 Jun 2005 , 11:43pm
post #8 of 18

Me too. After spend hours to put Dora on a cake I told my DH that I was getting a printer this week!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 18 Jun 2005 , 11:54pm
post #9 of 18

I have the Canon i960, which is a 6 cartridge printer and I use it all the time!! Edible images open up a whole new world in cake decorating, you'll have so much fun with them. I use the legal size frosting sheets when I make an 11 x 15" (considered a 1/2 sheet). If I am making a full sheet cake, I use (2) frosting sheets, with some type of icing decoration in between to hide the "seam"

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 19 Jun 2005 , 7:50am
post #10 of 18

i'm curious...how does the rice paper compare to the frosting sheets??

Lisa Posted 19 Jun 2005 , 9:04pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane

i'm curious...how does the rice paper compare to the frosting sheets??

I've tried both and the images printed on frosting/icing sheets come out better. The colors are deeper and truer and the sheet will melt into the icing on the cake so it looks like a part of the cake rather than something that's been laid on top of it. Rice/wafer paper also has a tendency to wrinkle. I have had luck printing leaves on wafer paper though...they came out looking and feeling like leaves. The edible ink markers work really well on the wafer paper too.

Mable_21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mable_21 Posted 19 Jun 2005 , 11:42pm
post #12 of 18

When you print out the sheets does it tend to stay like a stiff layer on top of the cake?
I went to a wedding shower yesterday and the cake they bought from a bakery had an edible image on it and everyone ended up picking it off because it had such a funny texture.. I was wondering if this was normal.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 20 Jun 2005 , 12:09am
post #13 of 18

Mine just melts into the cake Marble_21.. it's very soft .. cuts w/the cake like it would without an image.. you really can't tell it's on there when you cut it ... it has absolutely no taste to it either

Lisa Posted 20 Jun 2005 , 2:24pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mable_21

When you print out the sheets does it tend to stay like a stiff layer on top of the cake?
I went to a wedding shower yesterday and the cake they bought from a bakery had an edible image on it and everyone ended up picking it off because it had such a funny texture.. I was wondering if this was normal.

It was probably printed on wafer/rice paper which doesn't dissolve into the cake.

piramirez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
piramirez Posted 21 Jun 2005 , 8:53pm
post #15 of 18

I just got my IP3000 and am waiting for my ink and sheets from Kopykake. Just wondering...I read at Sugar Craft that conversion kits with new print heads are needed for the Cannon bubble jet printers. Is there something that I am overlooking? My printer is brand new and my impression was that all I needed was the edible ink.

piramirez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
piramirez Posted 21 Jun 2005 , 8:55pm
post #16 of 18

I just got my IP3000 and am waiting for my ink and sheets from Kopykake. Just wondering...I read at Sugar Craft that conversion kits with new print heads are needed for the Cannon bubble jet printers. Is there something that I am overlooking? My printer is brand new and my impression was that all I needed was the edible ink.

Lisa Posted 21 Jun 2005 , 9:59pm
post #17 of 18

The conversion kit is needed if you'll be converting a printer you've used with regular inks to one that will be used with edible inks. It's just a new print head. If you've bought your printer new, then your print head will also be new.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 21 Jun 2005 , 11:35pm
post #18 of 18

Hubby just surprised me on Saturday with the Canon IP3000 so now I have to get the supplies.I am going order mine from icing images.com as their prices seemed a little better and you could also buy starter kits whch include a few extras for the same money as some single packages like a disc of images and diferent sized image sheets.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%