Why Did You Start Doing Cakes?!?!?!?!

Decorating By lillykaci1 Updated 9 Jul 2007 , 9:38pm by abslu

CMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CMarie Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 4:57pm
post #61 of 76

i started baking cakes because i've always loved to cook and bake and my mother in law has been decorating cakes for 35 years. i asked her to help me make a birthday cake for my sisters 18th birthday and she taught me some of the basics and i fell in love. i was always looking for a creative outlet and i found it. it was something fun to do that everyone loved and it gave me a chance to hang out with my mother in law!

azeboi2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azeboi2005 Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 5:14pm
post #62 of 76

in my group of friends we always through eachother parties during birthdays, and well being college students spending $40+ when you have 3-4 consecutive birthdays only a few weeks in between gets pricy. so i had always wanted to start but didn't seem to have the time. last septmeber my friend michael was turning 24 and we wanted to through him a party, a few weeks before we had gone to the movies and he told me "chris, you better not do anything for my b-day...don't go blowing your money and BUYING me a cake". reluctantly i agreed not to "buy" him a cake. so i made him a cake, seeing how he is a superman buff i wanted to do the superman "s". so i played around and did my first cake (which is in my photos). when everyone came over he thought i had had it done and i was "heck no i did this myself". everyone was shocked and loved it. from then on i've done cakes for friends and family for all occasions, some i've actually gotten paid for but most are probono.

JoMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoMarie Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 5:15pm
post #63 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillykaci1

I started doing cakes for my kids. I knew it was something I wanted to do because it was something my mom did for my sister and me when we were kids. Those cakes ment more to me than any store bought thing could have. I wanted my kids to be able to say hey my mommy did that for me.

This is the only reason I took classes. How much fun it is to look at Birthday Party photos from YEARS ago and see the cakes that my Mom made - I want my kids to feel the same way!! thumbs_up.gif

jenbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbakescakes Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 5:20pm
post #64 of 76

I started decorating almost exactly one year ago because for some strange reason I wanted to do my own wedding cake. I know, I know...I musta been boozin' it up that day! Well I found this cake in one of the Wilton wedding cake books and HAD to have it! We were brand new to the area and didn't have a lot of time to do a whole lot of searching, so I took the book to the few people I could find and they said they couldn't do it, so off on my adventure I went! I had just enough time before the wedding to do several practice cakes (and figure out that fondant was OUT of the question!) and take Wilton course one. My instructor helped me a lot and I made everything I could way in advance. (Did I mention I also made my own invitations, favors, and centerpieces?? I musta been drunk! LOL)...Anyways, I did end up staying up til 3 am the night before the wedding, but it got done, and I loved it! That was it for me, I have been decorating ever since, and I would love to do it for a career someday! icon_biggrin.gif

Wandootie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wandootie Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 5:27pm
post #65 of 76

For me, personally...I have had a facination with decorated cakes since I was a little girl. I've always thought they were so beautiful. I waited to pursue my hidden passion until my son graduated from high school. I didn't want to do anything for myself that would have taken my time away from his activities. I told myself that once I got him through high school, I would treat myself to some classes. It's been almost three years now and I've been addicted since and never looked back.

I hope to someday go to work for a bakery or possibly even own my own, but doing them from home has been a great outlet for me and has been very rewarding. I take as many classes as I can because I work full time doing something entirely different through the week. I've found that the term "practice makes perfect" is so true. Plus, having CC is wonderful and all of the folks here are the greatest...so helpful and gracious with support and advise.

Wanda

BrittanyUdean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrittanyUdean Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 5:32pm
post #66 of 76

Every on in my family HATES to bake! I dont know where I came from! When I was 7 i got an Easy Bake Oven for Christmas and it was
"Little Miss Betty Crocker" from there! My family loves that I bake! I also worked at a Bakery in town for Mardi Gras season. Thats where I learned to decorate! I cant wait to learn more!

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 5:34pm
post #67 of 76

I actually took the first Wilton course because I was pissed off that my cakes tasted good but looked like crap. I figured they could teach me how to icing the cake smooth and that would be enough. Boy was I wrong. I'm addicted!

Lauree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lauree Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 5:45pm
post #68 of 76

Started taking classes, like many, to bake/decorate my son's birthday cakes. I love baking! My son has been so happy with his cakes so far and seems very proud that his mom made them. I made one for our Church a few weeks ago and I caught him running around telling everyone that "his mom made the cake" and he even asked a friend of mine if she had told me thanks because that was good manners (he's 7)-I was a little embarrassed but they all thought it was cute and funny!

Rudith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rudith Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 8:59pm
post #69 of 76

Hi,I started making cake because I always like making dessert I grew up in a household making cake from scrach so when i got married i got 2 stepdaughters that when their birthday came up i wanted to make something special for them , then I have my son with egg allergies then my passion grew stronger as i didnt want him to be left out on any birthday,reunion or school party i still making cake for my family and friends icon_smile.gif Rudith

cococakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cococakes Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 9:13pm
post #70 of 76

I grew up in a household where desserts were eaten only at birthday celebrations and the holidays.

I remembered when I was at least 6 or 7 years old and I tried to make a chocolate cake. It came out really bad, knew nothing about b. powder and the such.

Fastforward many years later, went to pastry school, taking wilton decorating classes, bake for family and friends and truly enjoy it with all my heart. So glad I was told of this website.

aggiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiecakes Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 9:13pm
post #71 of 76

I started doing cakes last summer for 2 reasons:

1) I teach and by July, I was so bored, I had to find something to occupy my time. I was at a birthday party and there was a 2 tier cake and I kept looking at it thinking "I can do that."

2) I have always wanted my kids to have a cake that was out of the ordinary. Everyone here where we live has a sheet cake for birthday parties, and I wanted to have something different. I thought the best way to have something nobody else would have was to just make it myself.

JGsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGsMom Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 9:15pm
post #72 of 76

Hi. I am very new at cake making but the reason I started was because I wanted to make my son (my first child) his very first bithday cake! I found out while taking the classes that I really enjoyed it and have made some more cakes since. I also started taking the classes to get some "me" time since I am a stay at home mom (even though my instructor told my girlfiend and I that class was "not social hour"). But that is another story. But cake making is starting to become a fun hobby for me and I absolutely love CC!

cakekrayzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakekrayzie Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 9:23pm
post #73 of 76

i have always loved to bake i mean when i was little i would get a box of cake mix and sit there all afternoon and bake tiny cakes in my easy bake oven and frost them and give them to my family so one year my aunt gave me all of her old wilton pans that she no longer used and were taking up space in her house my mom saw and like the playboy bunny pan and asked if i would like to make her one for her birthday so i did and it was just a plain white cake with chocolate frosting stars piped all over it and i enjoyed it so much that the next month i enrolled in a class at my local community college and have been doing ever since and this was 6 years ago and i love it as much today as i did that first day i made that cake.i mean that is the only reason i do it because i love it.

Strazle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Strazle Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 9:31pm
post #74 of 76

I started taking cake decorating classes to break out of my monotonous life! My job is very repetitive (on patient after another all day long, all getting the same exam). After work it is always the same: cook, clean, go to bed....next day, same thing! I really enjoyed getting out of the house one night a week for 4 months. I only wish there were more advanced courses locally. I have beed fortunate to stumble upon CC. I have learned alot from you guys/gals. One thing though, when I decided to do something to shake things up a bit....someone should've told me it was hard work decorating cakes! I guess that is why I couldn't convince any of my friends to take the classes with me. My husband says it's because "they all like going home to their husband after work." Yeah, well, cake decorating classes were a great stress reliever for me!

CourtneysCustomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysCustomCakes Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 9:35pm
post #75 of 76

Wow I've nover thought of an answer to this question.

When I was growing up My Step Mom took a wilton class. From then on she was always doing our cakes. So I guess you could say I got spoiled on her frosting. And I enjoyed watching her make cakes. When My oldest son was about 3 I started making cakes for his sports teams. Which moved to all of the birthday cakes, (especially when I couldn't find what I was looking for) then to more in the more recent years. Now I am a self professed CAKE SNOB. And I really enjoy it when people come to me because They like my cakes. I Strive on the feed back. And I have 4 kids now from 11-4 and I tell you what it may be more time consuming but it costs less to make your own and It is more meaning ful and comes from the heart.

And when your 11 year old tells a client (friend) that once you taste my frosting you'll think all others taste like POO. And Talks about your cakes in school reports. It makes it all worth while.

C.C.C.
I love to decorate cake.

abslu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abslu Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 9:38pm
post #76 of 76

I started cake decorating in high school! I went to a (small!) private Christian school and cake decorating was offered for a semester! There were 3 of us, and it was taught by a woman that had her own cake business. I learned alot from her, and I've been decorating off and on for the past . . . . . . wow, 8 years?!?! I didn't realize it's been that long. I'm going to start Wilton classes tomorrow (YAY!) just to brush up on my techniques and actually learn how to make a BC rose . . . my downfall! icon_redface.gif But I love cake decorating, and I do it when I can, for any occasion, just to get the practice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%