Truffles And Candy Melts

Sugar Work By Jenna217 Updated 4 Mar 2011 , 1:43pm by MapleCrunch

Jenna217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenna217 Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 5:24am
post #1 of 10

I have an order for 3 dozen truffles, but she wants them a week ahead of time as she will have to travel to the wedding. Will they be ok in the fridge that long? I just don't want a stale taste to them.

Also, she wants teal colored accents on them....I've never colored Wilton candymelts, but can I use Wilton icing gels (that are used to color fondant/buttercream etc.) or will it cause clumping? icon_eek.gif

9 replies
imbkay13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imbkay13 Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 5:43am
post #2 of 10

I'm not sure about how long you can keep the truffles. I know someone will be able to help you with that.
As far as coloring candy melts they say you can use the icing colors but add a little oil as well, (I didn't have much success when I tried it). If you can find different colors of the candy melts (green and blue) mix them together to get the color you need.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 6:07am
post #3 of 10

Wilton gels will cause the candy to seize. There is special 'candy color' that should work.

If you dip the truffles, there is a risk of air inside the coating. That gives the potential for mold. they must stay refrgerated to reduce the risk.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 11:58am
post #4 of 10

Americolor now has a line of food colors for candy/chocolate. I prefer them to the Wilton paste colors...so much easier to use!

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 12:06pm
post #5 of 10

I've used Wilton gels t ocolor Merckens melts with no problems.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 12:13pm
post #6 of 10

I always thought you had to either use the candy melts in the colors or buy colored cocoa powders that the pastry chefs use otherwise the chocolate would seize?

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 12:15pm
post #7 of 10

I've had a chocolates candy business for a few years now and truffles is an item I do. As long as they are in an air tight container they will be ok. I use candy melts for colors as well....never used the gels.

jojo0676 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo0676 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 12:20pm
post #8 of 10

I am making 300 truffles (molded with chocolate coating) for my sil's wedding next weekend. I plan to make them a week in advance and keep them in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator.

As far as the accent goes, I am putting a fondant leaf on each one. Attaching it with a small amount of chocolate. You could do some kind of teal fondant flower or something if you didn't want to dye chocolate.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 12:44pm
post #9 of 10

If you can't get candy color or the right shade use shortening to prevent seizing.

MapleCrunch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MapleCrunch Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 1:43pm
post #10 of 10

I've just come across this post whilst looking for tips on melting Candy Melts for dipping truffles...

I know it's very late, but something I think is amazing for adding tints of colour to truffles is Rainbow Dust Decorators Glitter - it comes in so many fantastic colours and is easy to use. Just brush on and it gives your truffles a lovely shimmer of colour.b icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%