Does Not Like Frosting

Baking By kittysparkle Updated 20 Aug 2006 , 10:07pm by kittysparkle

kittysparkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kittysparkle Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 2:13pm
post #1 of 8

I'm doing a grooms cake in a few weeks and the groom really does not like frosting. He wants red velvet cake but NO CREAM CHEESE frosting I'm at a loss. Any ideas on what will go with red velvet cake?

7 replies
czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 2:17pm
post #2 of 8

kittysparkle.

I love your avatar!

Does the cake have to be iced at all? Maybe a heavy dusting of powdered sugar. Or a cool whip/whipped cream icing?

Or a glaze?

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 2:17pm
post #3 of 8

Maybe a stenciling of powdered sugar?

I'm no help, but here's a bump!

--Knox--

writer_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
writer_mom Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 2:22pm
post #4 of 8

That's a tough one.

You could make a trifle-type cake. Fill the layers with fresh fruit or preserves and custard. Brush the top with simple syrup and decorate with fresh fruit and drizzled chocolate.

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 2:25pm
post #5 of 8

That's annoying-- can't he just eat the cake part & not the frosting? :O) -- It would be much easier if he would just tell you what's acceptable instead of having you guess. But I think whipped cream frosting would be good too, like the others have said. Its kind of hard to get the same "wow-factor" without frosting but I guess you could drizzle a sugar glaze over a red velvet cake & the powdered sugar too-- Good luck!!

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 3:11pm
post #6 of 8

I would say use choc ganache or white choc ganache. It will be loved, but charge extra.

OR

use IMBC it has totally different flavor/texture than decorator icing.

However......I never see the point of making or omitting anything the bride/groom loves/hates. Flippin scrape it off your one piece, don't make 200 other people go without! I know it's their day, but they're ordering cake for 200.

kittysparkle Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 10:06pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you all for your advice. The hardest part is they also want it to look like a stack of cds so of course I have to use butter cream for the top of the cake. I just thought someone might know of some good flavors to go with the cake that may change his mind about frosting. I don't think he has ever had homemade frosting and maybe he is jumping the gun on saying he doesn't like frosting. I agree with elvis and it is a bit annoying. But they did say no way to the creamcheese frosting and that is all I've ever put on red velvet.

kittysparkle Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 10:07pm
post #8 of 8

czyadgrl thank you for your comment on my avatar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%