Make Your Own Cookie Cutter?

Baking By ps3884 Updated 6 Oct 2006 , 8:47pm by azlorri

azlorri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azlorri Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 10:37pm
post #31 of 46

WOW! That was fast!!! And I'm so glad that you posted. I would have goofed and ordered the next THICKER coil.

What do you think about the width? Is 1/2" enough or would 1" be better?

THanks!!!

Tscookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tscookies Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 10:46pm
post #32 of 46

I know that 1" is the standard, however, I feel that 1/2" is easier to bend. For this same reason, I never get my strips folded over on the top. The edges on the coil are sharp (like the cutting side of the store-bought cookie cutters) but not razor sharp, and no burrs. If you handle them carefully, you won't get cut.

azlorri Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 10:53pm
post #33 of 46

Then 1/2" it is! (I've never made cutters before so I completely trust your expertise!!! I think I'm gonna order now too. I really want to get started!!!

Tkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tkeys Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 11:07pm
post #34 of 46

Will you post a picture of your cookie cutter when it is all finished?

azlorri Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 12:49am
post #35 of 46

Sure, I bet I'll be very proud of my very first cutter. (OF course, it will probably be VERY abstract and look a bit smushed!)

Tscookies Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 8:16pm
post #36 of 46

Oh boy, AZLORRI, have you ordered your coil yet? I just got my .005 coil today. Yes, it bends angles easier, however, I am finding that it does not work very well for curves. It's very springy. I'm trying to shape a ribbon on top of a present right now, and there's no way I can get the curves to hold their shapes. I just called a metal company in town and he explained to me that a 301 stainless steel is made of different alloys than 304. He said 301 is a hard metal, which is why my curves are difficult to achieve icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif . I'm going nuts at this point (I told you I've spent a lot of time researching this). I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I guess I'm going to try the 304, and if that doesn't work, then it's back to aluminum or copper. I'm so bummed, I thought I had this problem solved! And I'm very sorry for misinforming you and others at CC. Next time, I'll wait to post until I've got a solution all worked out. If you get your coil, let me know what you think about its bendability, maybe I'm just being too picky.

Tscookies Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 8:42pm
post #37 of 46

I just talked this over with McMaster. They are going to research this for me ... they told me they would help me get to the bottom of this and find the right metal for making cookie cutters. I'll let ya all know what I hear from them.

azlorri Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 8:44pm
post #38 of 46

Actually, I think I'll just cancel my order too. (I decided to go with the .007 because I wanted to extra length and figured I could probably bend it.) But, because of that, it won't ship for 2 weeks.

We have to find SOMETHING that will work neatly. My issue with the aluminum flashing is that I have to cut the width too and it's sharp and UGLY!!! icon_surprised.gif) Wonder if we can find copper on a coil like this. (That doesn't cost $14 plus shipping for 6')

Hmmmm.....

Tscookies Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 8:54pm
post #39 of 46

Yes, I think something in between .005 & .010 is a better choice. If you don't want to cut aluminum flashing yourself - then try to locate a metal supply company in your area and have them do it for you. I ordered a 12" x 24" piece of aluminum for $10. They're going to cut it in 1/2" strips for me. I haven't picked it up yet, so I can't tell you what the edges are like (I hope no burrs). I know copper is available too because that's what I used to use (until it started oxiding on me and my food inspector told me to switch metals). It cost me $50 to have them cut 50 strips of the copper.

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 10:12pm
post #40 of 46

Here is a picture of the cookie cutter. I had a very hard time trying to focus on the fold--basically he made the circle large enough to go around his design then added a little extra for the fold. Then folded it under two times an pinched it together.
LL

Tscookies Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 3:18pm
post #41 of 46

Ok, I have finally concluded my research on getting the right material for making cookie cutters. The answer came to me from BROWNMETALS.COM out of CA. I worked with Lance Brown - who proved to be extremely knowledgable on every aspect of metal and directed me to the exact metal I needed right away. I wish I'd known about them a long time ago! He was super friendly, too - which always makes doing business with someone much nicer.

The answer is 304 Stainless Steel. This is a much softer metal than the 301 - thus all of my problems with the 301 holding a curve. This company stocks it in 1/2" widths and several thicknesses. It comes on a coil (which is very efficient) and there are no burrs on the edges. I requested .008 which will work - but I think I'd try a little thicker next time - maybe .01 or .012.

This metal is very easy to bend, holds it's shape and won't rust like aluminum or copper will. And most importantly, it's a food-safe metal. Happy bending to all!

azlorri Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 4:33pm
post #42 of 46

TSCOOKIES- Thanks again for your amazing research. I ended up learning A LOT about aluminum when I came up with a blank on the stainless steel. But I'm still not happy with the 3005H aluminum...so I will try the 304 stainless. You are DEFINITELY my hero!!!

Lorri

azlorri Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 4:41pm
post #43 of 46

TSCOOKIE- One more question...did Brown Metals give you a stock number or anything? I can't find the 304 stainless coils on their website so I'd like to be someone knowledgable when I call them. Also, what price can I expect?

THANKS!!!!!!

Tscookies Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 7:33pm
post #44 of 46

Hi Azlorri - I think you can just e-mail Lance at [email protected]. The price is approximately $125 for approximately 250 feet. I don't have the stock number - but if you tell him the specifics I gave above, he'll know what you're talking about. If you get a stock number from him - maybe you can post it to the forum. He's so nice and helpful, and the shipment came within only 2-3 days. Good luck!

aggiedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiedecorator Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 7:52pm
post #45 of 46

Wow, thanks you guys for all the research. I was copying the info to give to my hubby when I saw $125 for 250 ft. Do you need 250 ft? Is there a way to buy in smaller portions, say like 20 feet?

azlorri Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 8:47pm
post #46 of 46

When I talked with Mr Brown, I got the impression that their normal minimum order is $175 and they normally only do HUGE commericial sized orders. However, he seemed very nice and supportive of cookie making.

AggieDecorator- since I ordered more than I will need, I'd be glad to mail you 20 feet. Just PM me with your address. I'm hoping to get the stainless steel sometime next week or early the following week.

I JUST LOVE COOKIES!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%