Bridal Shows--Cookie Favors

Baking By lhayes1976 Updated 21 Jul 2007 , 9:47pm by simplysweetbygigi

lhayes1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lhayes1976 Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 13

I only do cookies--no cakes and would like to attend one of our bridal shows this winter. I would like to set-up a display with just cookies, cake balls, etc. Has anyone did this with just these items--more towards favors. Is it worth it?

12 replies
yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 13

this is a subject that I am definitely interested in...I am currently booked to do three weddings this summer and interest is growing....Looking forward to hearing how it went for those that have done this...

katydid6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katydid6 Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegal

this is a subject that I am definitely interested in...I am currently booked to do three weddings this summer and interest is growing....Looking forward to hearing how it went for those that have done this...

when I got married 6 years ago this summer my mother and mother-in-law decorated personalized(wedding date, monogram, etc.) cookies as wedding favors. at the time they were very unusual and went over really well. Good luck with it.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 13

I have never done this (I'm not a professional) but I have attended bridal shows where I have seen cookie favors at booths - always attracted my attention. You may want to post the question in the forum for business discussions as people browsing that forum would probably have experience with this....just a thought.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 12:41am
post #5 of 13

I have never done a bridal show but I get orders for cookie favours all the time.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 1:16am
post #6 of 13

I haven't, but I did contact the big local bridal show people and they were very, very, very interested in having someone with cookie favors at the show since they have only seen cakes. I think if you can afford to set up a booth (I can't since it would cost close to $1000 with the costs of the booth space and then making it look nice), go for it!

lhayes1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lhayes1976 Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 2:01am
post #7 of 13

$1000.00--that's way out of my budget. Is this the normal price at all bridal show?

MichelleM77 Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 2:38pm
post #8 of 13

I'm sure it's different depending on your area. Here was the breakdown for what I would have to pay just to have a booth:

10x10 booth space $1190
4x3 booth space $890
TableTop Display only (no tablecloths provided, etc.) $590

Plus you have to decorate these spaces, have a sign, make product samples, have tasting samples, etc.

There were extras too, like electricity to your booth was an extra $55, mailing list leads was another $300, to have your information sheet put in a bag that all brides get is another $300, small ad in the program was $200......it goes on and on. This is for the Cleveland/Akron area and it's a big show.

This was through Today's Bride and they do have a show in Lexington if that is close to you. Here is a link:

http://lexington-bridalshow.com/

There are also a lot of free bridal websites that you can get a listing on. In 2 months I've only had one link to my website directly from one of them (I think I'm on 2 or 3), but that's better than nothing! Heck, they are free!

MahalKita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MahalKita Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 5:38am
post #9 of 13

Favor cookies are huge. You wouldn't believe how many people have NEVER thought of it & love it & pay big bucks for it. I wish I could branch out but I can't get legal right now. Good luck.

idoweddingcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoweddingcookies Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 10:37am
post #10 of 13

I've got lots of orders for cookie favors and have seen them at bride shows, that's how I got started doing them. didn't want to pay what they were asking for my daughters wedding.
Have you tried the local wedding shows that are usually held by the local welcome wagon. They are alot cheaper than the big city "main" events.

MichelleM77 Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 3:46pm
post #11 of 13

I was just contacted by someone putting on a local show. It's a lot less than the other company I posted about and has more benefits for the vendor, but still a lot of money for me. Now I don't know what to do!

Will I be able to make my money back on orders at the show? Will it be worth my time? I'm also afraid that I will be the one that will look out of place and like the "newbie." Ugh, the questions.

Any updates for this link?

yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 9:30pm
post #12 of 13

I have attended numerous wedding expos as my own DD is getting married in November. I have just sent for the "exhibitor kit" for my own area for a pretty big show in January now that I am finally legal. The favors I have seen have been pretty mediocre(IMHO) and I would love to put together a display of mine to see how they measure up. If you do it, I would recommend doing a vast supply of cookies, just not wedding. I live in Maine and lobsters, sandollars, lighthouses, flowers, have been my most popular wedding favors-not just wedding cakes, etc... Anything monogrammed as well. And have plenty to hand out.

I say go for it!!

simplysweetbygigi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweetbygigi Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 9:47pm
post #13 of 13

i do the shows all the time and even though i do cookie favors and cakes. most of my business from these shows are cookie favors. they are great fun to do, just bring along lots of business cards, some samples and a friend to help with all the questions. have fun thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%