Non-Powdered Sugar Icing

Baking By ch0psuey Updated 25 Aug 2006 , 3:21pm by KUTEDYMPLES

ch0psuey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ch0psuey Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 7:52pm
post #1 of 4

Does anyone have an icing recipe that doesn't use powdered sugar? One that uses regular white sugar?

TIA!

3 replies
SweetBellina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetBellina Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 8:00pm
post #2 of 4

i do, but i use it for cupcakes and it was a hit..it tasted like melted masrhmallow and divinity..well, the procedure is like making divinity. "white mountain frosting" and it is also like 7 minute frosting..ok, the only thing is, u have to eat it in 24 hrs (that's what the recipe says but i tried making it 2 days in advance and it was still ok..

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 8:02pm
post #3 of 4

Also, the meringue buttercreams use a white sugar syrup. There are several, Italian Meringue buttercream, Swiss MBC, French MB

You can also whip ganache, which is chocolate, Heavy cream and butter.

KUTEDYMPLES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KUTEDYMPLES Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 3:21pm
post #4 of 4

This icing is delicious, I am not sure about decorating with it, I have never tried, it is a fluffy icing, and very tasty though. You could try decorating with it for the simple borders and such but don't know if it would do roses.

1/4 c. flour
1 c. milk
3/4 c. Crisco (regular White shortening...not butter flavoured)
1 c. sugar
1/3 c. butter, softened
2 tsp. vanilla

In a sauce pan, combine flour and milk*
Cook over medium heat until mixture is thickened. Cool completely. <----VERY important, if it doesn't cool enough it will melt the shortening.

In a medium mixing bowl, cream the shortening, sugar, and butter. Beat on medium speed for about 2 minutes, and then add the vanilla - beat for an additional minute. Add flour mixture. Beat on high speed w/ electric mixer, for about 5 minutes, or until smooth and creamy. Spread on cooled cake.

* In order to prevent any "flour lumps", there are 2 different methods I suggest for adding the flour to the milk.
1st method is to take the 1/4 cup flour, and place it in a saucepan, and add 1/4 cup of milk, and whisk it to combine, continue whisking mixture and slowly add in the remaining 3/4 cups of milk. Whisk and cook over medium heat until mixture is thickened.
2nd method would be to take a canning jar w/ lid (or similiar) and combine the 1 cup milk and 1/4 cup flour and shake vigourously to combine, prior to cooking it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%