No More Free Cakes!!!!!!!!!!

Decorating By misterc Updated 7 Jul 2007 , 2:53pm by misterc

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 11:04pm
post #1 of 35

I love my family! Why is is that they always sucker me into doing cakes at cost? They don't even have to do a lot of suckering! icon_redface.gif I just say yes all the time! What is my problem! They don't ask for simple cakes either. I have spent this week making atleast 50 gumpaste roses and then I have to do string work which I've never done so it will take forever I'm sure. Next week I'm doing another free cake which is two tiers, involves carving, and fondant figurines. To make matters worse, I am moving to Orange County in 1 1/2 weeks. My husband is already there and I haven't even got through half of my packing. Mean while, I have three kids running around the house creating a huge disaster because I am too busy with cakes to do anything fun with them! When will I learn to say no! My family is wonderful and I love them dearly but my new motto is "Just say no!".

Ok, I'm done now. Thanks for listening to me unwind!

34 replies
pechee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pechee Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 11:19pm
post #2 of 35

I know what you mean. My BIL called last week, wanting a cake for his housewarming party. I said sure, how much are you wanting to spend. He says,,,,, nothing. I said, sorry, no cake!

misterc Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 11:47pm
post #3 of 35

Good for you! I promise next time I'm asked to do a free cake I will walk the other way!

SweetObsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetObsession Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 12:45am
post #4 of 35

You're my new hero, Pechee! thumbs_up.gif I really need to work on my backbone.

I can relate Misterc (except that I usually don't even get reimbursed for ingredients! icon_mad.gif )

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 12:51am
post #5 of 35

Let's take a vow together.
I need this too!

"I (enter CC addict name) do solemnly swear to do no more free, at cost, or under-priced cakes on demand for ANYONE. I will print up a price list and anyone who asks for a cake will pay the price listed, end of story. The only free cakes leaving my kitchen will be at MY command, on my timing, completely of MY theme, color and design choice, and no one else's."

misterc Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 12:58am
post #6 of 35

Sounds great! I feel better already! Now back to packing and roses I go.

imnamor95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imnamor95 Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 1:44am
post #7 of 35

Ugh, I hear ya! Can you believe that my sister is forever having some sort of a party, I'm never invited bc I don't mix with her people, but, that's beside the point, and she would rather make her own cheap cake than pay me to do a nice one for her?? Plus, the other day, at work, one of the girls was leaving for another job and they went out and bought a cake from BJ's instead of just making a deal with me?? When they brought the cake, it was disgusting! It looked so nasty, I didn't even taste it, yuck! Some people r just sooooooo cheap! icon_rolleyes.gif

kcat3740 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcat3740 Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 1:58am
post #8 of 35

Yes - I just started decorating a few months ago and am doing fairly well - I have takedn several practice cakes to work which they got to eat for free. Then I started selling some - had orders from a couple of people....one of the girls in office got engaed and the ones who are planning her shower came and said "oh now you can practice on a bridal shower cake for the shower" I said - here is my price list - they looked at me like I was crazy and have said nothing more about it! Why do people think you can bake all this for free! icon_mad.gif It gets expensive - totally aside from your time! Don't get me wrong I LOVE decorating and I want to do as muchh as I can - but don't take advantage of me!!

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 3:55am
post #9 of 35

some people think we have a cake tree in the back icon_rolleyes.gif

You are having a party at your house? Well, let me just give that old cake tree a good shaking and I'll be right over with your free dessert.
( she saids tongue firmly in her cheek)

mommachris

misterc Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 3:36pm
post #10 of 35

Well, if you look in my pics the last two pictures posted are what started this post! A lot of work for being free but the couple loved the cake! That certainly helped! I have a cake this next week for free and then NO MORE FREE CAKES!!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 4:09pm
post #11 of 35

Are you running this as a business or as a hobby?

If it's a business, then it's a business. My husband's family has been in the car repair business for over 50 years. And when we take our car in for some work to be done, we pay the same rates as everyone else. It's a business .... not a hobby so they can work on family cars for free. It's how they pay the rent and buy the groceries.

Volunteering to do a free cake is one thing. Wimping out and being cajoled into giving one away is (yes, I'll say it) stupid.

If you CHOOSE to give away a cake, then it was your decision. Don't complain about how THEY always sucker you into it. You made the choice. You've taught them that you will do it for free.

It's not THEIR fault.

Try this thread. It says it in a nutshell: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-3891223-.html#3891223

misterc Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 4:29pm
post #12 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

If it's a business, then it's a business. My husband's family has been in the car repair business for over 50 years. And when we take our car in for some work to be done, we pay the same rates as everyone else. It's a business .... not a hobby so they can work on family cars for free. It's how they pay the rent and buy the groceries.

Volunteering to do a free cake is one thing. Wimping out and being cajoled into giving one away is (yes, I'll say it) stupid.

If you CHOOSE to give away a cake, then it was your decision. Don't complain about how THEY always sucker you into it. You made the choice. You've taught them that you will do it for free.

It's not THEIR fault.

Try this thread. It says it in a nutshell: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-3891223-.html#3891223

I am starting a business and in the beginning I did it for exposure and practice. I'm not mad at them, I love them dearly and they love showing my talent off. In the original post you will notice I said that it didn't take a lot of suckering and then I used an emoticon showing that I was embaressed for my actions. The problem is with me not liking to tell my loved ones no and that is what I intended the post to say. I guess it didn't come off that way. I am working on learning how to use the word no. If you are a pro at it, more power to you! You are my hero then! But for me, I have to still work on the whole "no" thing. Thanks for the thread.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 4:31pm
post #13 of 35

That cake is BEAUTIFUL!!! I can't believe you did that for free. I know who to call when *I* want a free cake now... heh. icon_wink.gif

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 4:32pm
post #14 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

It's not THEIR fault.

I am going to print both out and pin to my mirror. These are words of wisdom to apply to all parts of our lives because if we do it with cake more than likely we do with everything else.

noley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noley Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 4:37pm
post #15 of 35

Don't feel bad there are a ton of self help books out there for women like us who have a hard time saying "NO" Just because someone else has mastered the skill, or is more able to do it already then we are we shouldn't let them make us feel bad, call us stupid or say that it is our fault in a nasty manner. I understand where you're coming from. I do things for people all the time, because I'm trying to be nice and because I always think, someday I might need something from them... however I'm starting to discover that when I need something many of these people i've "helped" aren't around the way I need them to be. So, yes that is my fault and I'm dealing with it. However being that this is supposed to be a supportive place where we uplift each other and help each other, I'd be more grateful if I didn't see negative comments half the time I started reading a post. People sometimes need to vent, sometimes they need a shoulder to lean on and before you comment and push blame on someone else, think about a time that you needed someone to listen to you vent. Can't we just all be supportive and helpful. If you see a post you don't agree with, can't you just go on to the next post?
Jen

rayven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rayven Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 4:39pm
post #16 of 35

The same goes for me also!! Most of my cakes have been for family and close friends and they have been free or at cost!!

The last two weekends I did wedding cakes for a very lose friend and she is also the MIL to my daughter. Her son just got married and I agreed a long time ago to do the cakes. Well...I didn't know she was going to be so elaberate!!! If I charged her my full price the cakes would have been around $1100.00!!! I got $150.00! I'm not sure if that even covered my cost!

I going to tell them that they have to at least pay my for the ingredients and a very large tip on the side!!!

misterc Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 4:41pm
post #17 of 35

Thank you Jen!!! I needed that!

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 4:52pm
post #18 of 35

icon_smile.gif I am a business....and the ONLY FREE CAKES I give are to my 2 nieces and 2 nephews...for their birthdays. And they are not elaborate either......simple and to the point. I will do a bit more 'fru fru' for bdays like 13th, 16th, and 18th. That's it.
That is our gift to them. Works for us.......... thumbs_up.gif

THESUGARCOW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
THESUGARCOW Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 5:00pm
post #19 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommachris

some people think we have a cake tree in the back icon_rolleyes.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif tha is so funny! !!!

You are having a party at your house? Well, let me just give that old cake tree a good shaking and I'll be right over with your free dessert.
( she saids tongue firmly in her cheek)

mommachris

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 5:27pm
post #20 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by noley

Don't feel bad there are a ton of self help books out there for women like us who have a hard time saying "NO" Just because someone else has mastered the skill, or is more able to do it already then we are we shouldn't let them make us feel bad, call us stupid or say that it is our fault in a nasty manner.

Allow me to apologize to anyone who was offended by how I worded my remarks. I know that while I am a very blunt and direct person , I think there are some folks on here who would tell you that I AM supportive of other decorators and I freely and happily share my experiences in the hopes of helping others as they progress and grow their business. Being able to say 'no' is one way to grow your business the right way.

I understand, after re-reading what I wrote, how it came across as a negative comment. Again, I apologize profusely for that. My angst was not with the poster, but with "women in general". It was a statement of how what we were taught as little girls is detrimental to us in the business world. It was more of a social statement and definitely not a personal one.

misterc, I am not calling you stupid for giving free cakes to your family. I always give the wedding cake free to my nieces and nephews as my gift. I am not anti-free cake. I got my mom-finger out in what I thought was advice on how to be a stronger business person and stand up for your talent and your skill. I am SO sorry on how strong it came across and it was never intended to be an insult to you or anyone else on here.

This is a great site, where everyone can share and grow and my intent is only to add to that.

Please accept my very sincere apology.

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 5:50pm
post #21 of 35

Amen icon_biggrin.gif

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 6:41pm
post #22 of 35

Hi. Glad to know I was not the only one with this problem. Here is my theory. What do we love more than anything....seeing someone's reaction to our work. It's even more enjoyable coming from a loved one. I also have 3 kids and totally understand the "time" issue. As a result, I stopped making the cakes for co-workers, neighbors and friends of friends. I found myself busting my tail and ignoring my family for some stranger I didn't even know. Now, I only do about 1-2 cakes per month. I reserve them for special events in our family. I have the time and enthusiasm to do the cakes because I prepare in advance. I just got finished w/ my BILs heavy metal cake. What a challenge. I loved it. He could not get over it. He said it was the best cake he's ever had. He's not a mushy guy, so it was very heartfelt. Every second and every cent spent on that cake was worth it!! I am much happier keeping my hobby just a hobby and sharing it with loved ones. Hope that helps. It's been the best choice for me. It's very easy to refuse those emails from people now! Good luck
Pam

melsherard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melsherard Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 7:04pm
post #23 of 35

I was having major guilt issues over charging my family and friends for cakes. One of my good friends, who has a very good head for business, helped me to develop a price list that figures in an hourly wage, and a profit also. Then, when someone wants a cake, if they are immediate family, they get 25% off. For my church friends and others I want to offer a discount, they get 10% off. This way, I still am making money, but they are still getting a deal. A lot of people have refused the discount! Believe it or not! And if I am making the cake for someone I don't know, they pay the full price. Now, I am getting more business from strangers because they have been referred by people who have gotten the deal. So that has helped me a lot...

melsherard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melsherard Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 7:06pm
post #24 of 35

And Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not a newbie anymore!!!!!

foots2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foots2 Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 7:11pm
post #25 of 35

I know what you mean........I bring freebies into work all the time.They love them and now they come into the office and ask "wheres the cake" I just say there is none. One woman asked me if I could bake cakes for a diabetic and I told her I could.There is a man retiring in august and she wants me to make his CAKESSSSSSS.Not one but all. So i gave her a price list and later told her I had a recipe for the cake , then she said" Well I really only want a small 6" cake ,,Ill get the other sheet cakes from ACME. Talk about RUDE!!!! I will not be making his retiremnet cake. And there will be no cakes at work unless Im trying out something new.

weefoot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weefoot Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 8:35pm
post #26 of 35

I have similar problem. People don't generally want me to make their cake for free, I just seem to offer to do it for free. I do it as a hobby. I hear someone talking about an event and I just offer to make it. I usually regret it later. I cannot seem to say no. I do like to give them as gifts too. And I love getting compliments on my cakes. That's probably why I do it.

countrykittie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrykittie Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 9:55pm
post #27 of 35
Quote:
Quote:

"I (enter CC addict name) do solemnly swear to do no more free, at cost, or under-priced cakes on demand for ANYONE. I will print up a price list and anyone who asks for a cake will pay the price listed, end of story. The only free cakes leaving my kitchen will be at MY command, on my timing, completely of MY theme, color and design choice, and no one else's."

I've made my committment....I'm going to make out a price list and hang it at work and give it to anyone who asks. Thanks for the good advice.

Sammy-2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sammy-2002 Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 10:00pm
post #28 of 35

I do most of my cakes either free or at cost for family and friends because this isn't a business for me, just a hobby. BUT, i've had to make sure everyone I do cakes for understands that because their cake is either free or at cost, I'm not willing to spend 10 hours making elaborate flowers or other such time-consuming things.

I still make sure they always get a great tasting, nice cake, but usually they're more simple.

It's hard to say no when they want something huge, but I usually just remind them that I'm limited for time because I have a full time job.

dnrast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dnrast Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 11:49pm
post #29 of 35

when I originally started doing cakes, my "friend" would drum up business for me. She would have them buy the pan, cake mix, eggs, and powdered sugar. I got to keep the pan. I found out that SHE was collecting $$ too. Finder's fee maybe? Whatever..I was upset for a while, but then it was my own fault...too trusting. Now, I find my own orders. Lessons learned. However, she made me realize that I was talented, my cakes were worth money and she was a GREAT manager. I still don't charge as much as she did for a cake...pan 10, ingredients 5, and 20....if only I believed in myself as much as she did.

I can laugh about it today, but if she was still managing my business I'd be a rich woman now.

misterc Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 1:23am
post #30 of 35

Well, I just finished my last free cake! For now on I will be strong and make sure I say no to free cakes unless I really want to do it for free! The picture of it is in my gallery if you want to see it. It is the newest one posted.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%