Organic??

Decorating By Tellis12 Updated 29 Jun 2007 , 3:25am by snowboarder

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 10:03pm
post #1 of 9

I'm trying to get my cake business started and I know that lots of people like things that are organic. I don't personally care too terribly much about organic things, but I was wondering if there is much of a market for organic cakes. Anyone have any ideas if this is something I might want to invest in? I know supplies cost more; I'd just translate that into my cake costs. Any ideas, tips or advice are very welcome. Thanks!

8 replies
ckhagen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckhagen Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 10:31pm
post #2 of 9

I do think there is a market for organic cakes. I've been thinking a lot about it myself.

In our area the "eco-wedding" trend is picking up big time. Brides are asking for only local and/or organic produce from the caterers (we have one specializing in it actually) and low impact local/organic flowers and decor. I can certainly see organic cakes fitting into that. I suppose it's pretty possible using all organic flour, eggs, butter, milk, etc. Granted, the costs would probably be close to double.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 11:34pm
post #3 of 9

curious how shortening will be organic. is that possible?

gleep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gleep Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 12:21am
post #4 of 9

Spectrum makes a terrific organic shortening.

brittanydear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brittanydear Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 12:25am
post #5 of 9

I just saw organic shortening at the health food store! I think there is a big market for organic stuff on the East and West coast. Here is Arkansas, the idea is barely picking up steam, people just don't seem to care much. I think you might have a hard time selling organic stuff if you don't cook with it regularly or believe in it. I cook organic and local when I can, so I would have a lot of questions for someone cooking this way (e.g., are the dyes vegetable or petroleum based) that you might not be ready to answer if you are not familiar with the products. Although you could certainly learn! It is also more convincing (I have found) when you live the life, for people to want to fork over the extra dough, because you are so passionate about the organic/local stuff that people want to be a part of it, kwim?

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 1:05am
post #6 of 9

The newer "eco-food" trend is local. You probably don't have to as far as organic ( and with things like sugar it is quite tough) but natural and LOCAL is the big deal in food around here. There is a very good local dairy, and everyone advertises "we use only ____________ milk". I buy my eggs from a farm about two miles from my house. I use berries from my yard. People go crazy for that, and they pay a nice premium, too.

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 1:55am
post #7 of 9

Natural and Local are huge here in San Francisco. Huge. I've become really spoiled with how available organic foodstuffs are in this city. Not so much when I travel, although it is out there. You sort of have to seek it out. Little by little I am seeing more of it though, which is encouraging.

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 2:29am
post #8 of 9

Thanks for the ideas. It's something I'm seriously considering because the market that I have are people who like organic things and are willing to pay for them. Do you know if there are good cake recipes? On here maybe?

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 3:25am
post #9 of 9

Here are some threads discussing organic ingredients and a few sources. Other ingredients sources could be a coop, natural or health foods stores, Whole Foods, Trader Joes. As to buying local- as txkat mentioned see if there are farms/dairies in your area where you can buy your milk butter eggs, fruit, herbs, flowers, etc. HTH

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-330123-organic.html

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-290713-organic.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%