Flavoring Fondant

Baking By newtobaking Updated 22 Aug 2006 , 2:28pm by oceanspitfire

newtobaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newtobaking Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 2:24pm
post #1 of 12

I made my first cake using fondant in my course 3 class last night. I really enjoyed working with it. I've never tasted fondant before, and wasn't very impressed with the wilton's premade one we used. I'm not comfortable attempting to make my own fondant--is there a way to add flavor to the premade kind--and how would I go about it.

11 replies
Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 12

I would just add a teaspoon or two, depending on how much your using....I added butter flavor to the wilton's and it wasn't as bad, but MMF still tastes way better to meicon_wink.gif
Its not that hard to make...really...you should try it!
icon_wink.gif

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 2:34pm
post #3 of 12

I would just add a teaspoon or two, depending on how much your using....I added butter flavor to the wilton's and it wasn't as bad, but MMF still tastes way better to meicon_wink.gif
Its not that hard to make...really...you should try it!
icon_wink.gif

saranac2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saranac2000 Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 2:37pm
post #4 of 12

The Wilton Yearbook (2005) suggests kneading in no-color flavors as you go (vanilla, butter, almond)-I would imagine sample a bit at a time to tweak? I'm not a fondant pro by any stretch (getting a crash refresher this weekend w/a wedding cake) but to cut down on cost I did make my own fondant for the first time-CC's MMF-it was far simpler than I had terrified myself over, far less expensive & really less of a fuss than BC, IMHO. I made 6 batches pretty easily & another member mentioned that substituting different flavors for just plain old vanilla, particularly almond, tasted very good.

Good luck &, truly, the homemade stuff was great to make!

Nyma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nyma Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 2:47pm
post #5 of 12

I play with Fondant (Wilton's) this week for the first time and added vanilla flavor, since it was a small amount I just added a tsp and it tasted better. I'm thinking Butter or almond would do a better job. Haven't tried doing the fondant my self, but I will definitively try it soon.

Hope it helps!

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 3:40am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyma

I play with Fondant (Wilton's) this week for the first time and added vanilla flavor, since it was a small amount I just added a tsp and it tasted better. I'm thinking Butter or almond would do a better job. Haven't tried doing the fondant my self, but I will definitively try it soon.

Hope it helps!

those would be the water/alcohol based extracts, right? They'd be ok to knead in? (would probably need to add a bit more icing sugar if it gets too sticky I imagine)

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 3:50am
post #7 of 12

You can kneed in regular extracts into the fondant. If it gets sticky, just kneed in a little bit of powder sugar.

You can also use candy oils, which is what I like to use, since it will take less of them to get a good flavor and it shouldn't make your icing sticky.

saranac2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saranac2000 Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 12:03pm
post #8 of 12

Oooh, I like the idea of the candy flavors-was just looking at them the other day & had since been wishing I picked up some mint flavoring for white chocolate candy mold leaves I put on a chocolate cake w/chocolate mint filling!!! Will definitely have to pick some up!

Sweetpeeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeeps Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 12:10pm
post #9 of 12

I just made several small batches of it last night. I substituted almond flavoring for some of the water. It tasted great.

oceanspitfire Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 1:51pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

You can kneed in regular extracts into the fondant. If it gets sticky, just kneed in a little bit of powder sugar.

You can also use candy oils, which is what I like to use, since it will take less of them to get a good flavor and it shouldn't make your icing sticky.

Yeah the sad fact I ask only because I have no access to oils here in tthis stupid small town icon_cry.gif - however, I am going to be in the city for 3 days and I shall be hitting my favourite cake deco shop (besides Michaels which is of course not strictly cake deco and I havent seen oils there anyway) - so I have to travel light going to the city (taking my sister's 2 small kids so they have been instructed to pack light as in I'm not lugging any of their stuff cause I have my own stuff LOL)

frindmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frindmi Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 2:04pm
post #11 of 12

I tried to add some flavoring to Wilton fondant and I still found it nasty. I would recommend trying the marshmallow fondant and adding oils, if available, since the flavour is more concentrated. Make sure that whatever you add is clear color, sometimes the oils can make your pure white fondant look slightly pinkish or orangish...

Inma

oceanspitfire Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 2:28pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by frindmi

I tried to add some flavoring to Wilton fondant and I still found it nasty. I would recommend trying the marshmallow fondant and adding oils, if available, since the flavour is more concentrated. Make sure that whatever you add is clear color, sometimes the oils can make your pure white fondant look slightly pinkish or orangish...

Inma

I dont think I would have anyway cause I'm more of a ';from scratch' kind of gal icon_biggrin.gif but from what it sounds like, Wilton premade fondant and other stuff is just too nasty to use - unless it has stuff added to make it taste ok (in which case why bother using it in the first place LOL)
Ever since I made my first MMF I'm hooked- would never use anything premade- the recipe I'm using from here is AWESOME. I just need to 'fancify' (LOL @ making up my own word) it now with some flavourings to match the cakes flavours icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%