Raspberry Buttercream

Baking By MillyCakes Updated 18 Aug 2006 , 11:52am by Tiffysma

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 10:58pm
post #1 of 23

Anyone out there have a good raspberry buttercream that I can use under MMF? Think it would go well with the white sour cream almond cake?

22 replies
Mom_Of_4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom_Of_4 Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 11:02pm
post #2 of 23

I don't know, but I would like that recipe too! So here is a bump for ya!

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 11:06pm
post #3 of 23

I add seedless raspberry jam to my buttercream to get raspberry buttercream and it comes out really yummy. Just don't add water to thin it until after adding the jam as it does thin it a bit.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 11:10pm
post #4 of 23

I have made raspberry 2 ways..one with just raspberry flavoring and tinting the icing a bit of pink and the second is adding real raspberry jam to the BC and whipping really good but the seeds remain..okay if this doesn't bother you!!

Euphoriabakery Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 11:12pm
post #5 of 23

All you have to do to not have seeds is either use a seddless raspberry jam or heat and sieve the seeds out through a strainer.

MillyCakes Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 11:26pm
post #6 of 23

Thanks! I will try the seedless. About how much should I add to begin with? My buttercream uses 2 pounds of sugar. Also - I was think of using it as filling for the almond white sour cream cake? Maybe with an almond buttercream on the outside instead of MMF? What do you think? Need suggestions! icon_smile.gif

Euphoriabakery Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 11:30pm
post #7 of 23

I think raspberry and almond are so yummy together! It sounds great! Wish I was there to eat some! However I just found out that I am pregnant so pretty much everything sounds good right now!

As for the amount, just add a little bit at a time until you reach the intensity in flavor that you like. I think I usually end up adding about 1/4-1/2 C to a recipe that calls for 2 lbs of sugar, but thats an approximate guess since I never really measure it.

saranac2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saranac2000 Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 11:42pm
post #8 of 23

How 'bout adding almond extract to the MMF if you still wanted that look on your cake? I'm new to making MMF (6 batches today!) but so far I'm really impressed-although not sure how the flavor would turn out. Just a thought.

Euphoriabakery Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 11:44pm
post #9 of 23

I always use almond extract in my MMF, it is yummy!

MillyCakes Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 1:19am
post #10 of 23

OK here we go - Option #1 - almond white sour cream cake with raspberry filling covered in almond buttercream with an almond flavored MMF or Option #2 - same as above except fill and cover cake with reasberry buttercream instead of almond?

If only our clients knew the small details!!!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 1:26am
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmilligan

OK here we go - Option #1 - almond white sour cream cake with raspberry filling covered in almond buttercream with an almond flavored MMF or Option #2 - same as above except fill and cover cake with reasberry buttercream instead of almond?

If only our clients knew the small details!!!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

when is this for? I'll be right over to sample both icon_lol.gif
Actually I was going to try option one myself next week but with blackberries- and instead of using jam, I was just going to mash up the fresh blackberries I've been picking for 2 weeks now icon_cool.gif If I get mine done before you I'll let you know what the blackberry buttercream (as opposed to almond) tastes like. thumbs_up.gif

MillyCakes Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 1:33am
post #12 of 23

I didn't even think about blackberry! OH NO - now I have three options!! Please someone just pick one and I will make it!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 1:37am
post #13 of 23

Oooh, this is a good sounding thread!! I've used the seedless raspberry jam as a filling (good with white chocolate), but haven't tried making buttercream with it. I'm going to have to try that!! My neighbor just got back from vacation in the mountains and brought me back some seedless Blackberry jam. She asked if DH liked it for breakfast and I said yes - the whole time I was thinking how I could use it for cakes!!! I'm thinking I might have to try Blackberry buttercream. Yum!!! Now...what kind of cake should I put under it? Maybe lemon?

Euphoriabakery, congrats on your upcoming bundle of joy. I've got a new grandson, 4 months and he is just precious.

Okay, I vote for raspberry buttercream with the almond cake.

MillyCakes Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 1:43am
post #14 of 23

I have tons of raspberry - just stick with raspberry (that's what I keep saying in my head even though I am thinking about blackberries now!) Oh what should I do? icon_cry.gif

MillyCakes Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 2:28am
post #15 of 23

icon_cry.gif

saranac2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saranac2000 Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 2:39am
post #16 of 23

I don't think it's a good thing that I'm getting so hungry at this hour-what a delicious thread-makes me want to go whipping things together in the kitchen. I'm starting to favor the berry options-very seasonal-although I adore raspberry, & completely agree about how well it mixes with my absolute favorite (white chocolate), the fresh blackberries sound very tempting-& a little more unusual-not a flavor I see often but have tried, also with white chocolate. Eager to give it a shot with lemon, too, mmm.

Euphoriabakery Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 2:47am
post #17 of 23

All I can say is I think that I have to have cake now!

Tiffysma Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 3:42am
post #18 of 23

me too, me too!! I have a white chocolate buttermilk bundt cake with no icing. I've been serving it with strawberries and blueberries and whipped cream. (more berries!). I'm on the verge of spreading some of that blackberry jam on it and devouring it!! Somebody stop me!!!

Okay, deep breath..

What about torting your cake and alternating fillings of raspberry and blackberry? hmmmm..

oceanspitfire Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 3:52am
post #19 of 23

OHMYGOD stop it all of you!! LOL icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
okok so it was my fault for bringing up blackberries, sorry icon_redface.gif LOL
but I cant help it- same deal, my mind is going around the clock wondering what all I can do with these- I have 7 big ziploc bags already in my freezer- I bring empties with me to work and pick them on the way home- and I'll keep picking more for the next 2 weeks lol- they're in all stages of ripeness right now.
I tell ya and that's just in the park- never mind people who have a plethora of fruit trees and berry bushes in their yards and dont touch any of it icon_twisted.gifthumbsdown.gificon_eek.gificon_cry.gif are these people MENTAL? plums and pears and apples and berries sitting there on burgeoning branches with an equal amount laying rotting on the ground MAKES ME WANT TO GET OUT THE PADDLE LOL
oh that reminds me, I saw a great recipe for blackberry wine cake. As I am making wine with some of these blackberries next month, I shall have to try that out with a homemade batch (if any of you havent tried blackberry wine, you really really must icon_redface.gif it's absolutely delightful and very drinkable LOL)

oceanspitfire Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 3:56am
post #20 of 23

oh by the way, lol, the blackberry may sound odd for a cake- but not really odd in a bad way - I have this poppyseed cake that I make all the time and I have added lemon and blackberry to the recipe with GREAT results thumbs_up.gif

Tiffysma Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 3:58am
post #21 of 23

oceanspitfire,

There's a banana and blackberry muffin recipe in The Cupcakes by Cake Mix Doctor book and one of her books has that Blackberry Wine Cake. PM me if you want the recipes. I have both those books. Wish I had some of those blackberries! Blackberry cobbler is about my favorite thing.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 4:25am
post #22 of 23

Is the recipe for the white sour cream almond cake listed on cc? I'd love to try that, and the raspberry bc sounds wonderful! Yum!!

Tiffysma Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 11:52am
post #23 of 23

I think it's in the forums and not the recipe section. Here's a link though:

White Almond Sour Cream Wedding Cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%