What Can I Use?

Decorating By ChrissyChrissy Updated 28 Jun 2005 , 8:07pm by fytar

ChrissyChrissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrissyChrissy Posted 15 Jun 2005 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 10

Is there any other ways of transfering a picture onto a cake other then the BCT?? I would like to just use something like a gel and just draw it on the cake.. What kind would you use and what kind of icing under it?? Is there any kind whipped icing that I can use and draw the picture on top?? I just want to try something different then the BCT.. ANd I want to try a different kind of icing..

9 replies
AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 12:44am
post #2 of 10

Alot of people use piping gel to make pictures on their cakes. I've done it once and that was in my first decorating course.

Wilton's ready to mix whipped topping can be used for borders, writing, roses, etc. You can try that with your piping gel drawings.

ChrissyChrissy Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 1:19am
post #3 of 10

Thank you for the reply. SO with this whipped topping, I can put icing on the whole cake then draw on top with the gel?

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 2:24am
post #4 of 10

Sure can! I used Wilton's whipped icing ready mix and it worked just fine for decorating.

ChrissyChrissy Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 2:39am
post #5 of 10

OK Ill try that. Where can you buy Wilton's whipped icing? And with the gel, is there a way to trace the picture on the cake using the gel? See my daughters 2nd bday is on Saturday. I never made a cake until a few days ago, I did a test run. I did a BCT, turned out alright. Just want to try a gel and a different kind of icing. Not to sure how to though lol

thyterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thyterrell Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 2:50am
post #6 of 10

I always find the picture I want on my cake. Several days before I need it, I will place wax paper over the picture and use piping gel to trace out the picture. Then I'll just let it sit until it become hard. That way, when I place it on my cake, instead of having the gel on the cake, it works kind of like a stamp and makes a slight impression. Then I use a tip 3 to outline the picture like normal and fill it in on the cake. Hope this helps.

wandy27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wandy27 Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 3:13am
post #7 of 10

Do you make your own piping gel?
I have a recipe but haven' tried it yet. I will like to know first if it;s best to make it or buy it.

Wandy

ChrissyChrissy Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 3:28am
post #8 of 10

No I dont make it, Im not even sure what it is! LOL I didnt know that the piping gel hardens. I thought it stayed soft? what brand should I use?

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 8:45pm
post #9 of 10

Wilton makes it in a tub; i've found it at Michaels. I tried the piping gel recipe last week with not-so-great results, but that could be me and not the recipe. I used it to make "water" on the top of a cake and it seemed solid enough, but later i found it had run down the sides of the cake while it was in the fridge icon_eek.gif . I never had this problem with the Wilton gel.

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 28 Jun 2005 , 8:07pm
post #10 of 10

i didn't know that piping gel hardened, either! did i read that right? one thing i do know is that you don't want to try to cover a cake with foil or wrap after doing a piping gel design - it will pull off all the gel!! you live you learn!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%