Making Heart Shaped Box And Lid/hat Box

Decorating By crispie Updated 28 Jun 2007 , 1:55pm by crispie

crispie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crispie Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 7

cOULD ANYONE GIVE ME A POINTER OR TWO ON HOW TO GO ABOUT MAKING A BOX PREFERABLY HEART SHAPED TO SIT ON TOP OF A CAKE. IT MUST BE ABLE TO CONTAIN AN OBJECT SO THE LID MUST BE ABLE TO BE REMOVED. i HAVE HAD ONE ATTEMPT ITS OK BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW IT IS REALLY DONE. icon_cry.gif [/b]

6 replies
fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 1:37pm
post #2 of 7

If you have the Well Decorated Cake by Toba Garrett, there are instructions in there on how to make a heart-shaped box. HTH.

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 1:40pm
post #3 of 7

I would make it from chocolate using a mold like this one:

http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product.asp?pn=MP0302A&cn=110206

Good luck!

Bec

crispie Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 1:46pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks for your replies and your help

namaman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
namaman Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 1:47pm
post #5 of 7

How big is the object it needs to hold? In the Wilton Fondant and Gumpaste course we made a box with a removable lid that could be heart shaped as well... You just make a 50/50 mix of fondant and gumpaste and roll it out so that it is a big as the base would need to be for starters. Then use a heart shaped template or cookie cutter to cut the base out. You can make the lid the same size as well. For the side of the box, make a strip that is about an inch or so thick and stand it up around the edge attached with some gum glue. I used some gel color bottles to help the edges stay upright while it dried. Hope this helps!

dittle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dittle Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 1:51pm
post #6 of 7

Hello Crispie, I have step by step instrucitons on how to make a sugarpaste heart shaped box (with template). If you would like to have it, pm me your email address so I can send it to you.

crispie Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 1:55pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the tip of using 50:50% gumpaste to fondant. In my first attempt to make a box I didn't do this and the box lid sags when I cover the box with it. I will have a go using the 50:50 paste. The box has to be about 8inches accross. I will be putting it on top of a fondant iced cake that is also heart shaped. I will be decoratin the lid with sugarpaste flowers and various other royal icing dried designs. It is for my daughter's birthday. I will be placing a necklace with earrings in the box as her gift from all the family and she will not know that it is there until I instruct her to open the lid. I'm hoping it will be a nice touch to the celebrations icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%