Royal Vs. Buttercream Roses

Decorating By charman Updated 16 Jun 2005 , 1:42pm by ntertayneme

charman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charman Posted 15 Jun 2005 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 6

Doing a wedding cake that is going to need a lot of roses...i would love to do buttercream roses so they are more edible, but I don't have time to do all of them on the day I am decorating. I know I read where you guys have made them ahead and froze them...how do they do? Do you put them on frozen, and how do they work when they thaw out? Do they sweat bad? I had planned on royal icing roses just because I can do them now, etc., but I hate that you really can't eat them...I know you can if you want, but most don't. Any advise?

5 replies
Hershey17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hershey17 Posted 15 Jun 2005 , 10:56pm
post #2 of 6

Haven't used Royal that much so I'm not entirely sure about them but I have worked with buttercream roses alot!I've made them a few days ahead of time and froze them and they usaully turn out perfect as long as you don't let them sit before you put them on your cake.They start to thaw out as soon as you pull them out of the freezer and our a bit difficult if they thaw too much.Not sure how much good this will do you but I hope this helps! icon_smile.gif

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 1:43am
post #3 of 6

I prefer BC roses too...taste better. I've frozen them and you do get some condensation as they are thawing. You can make dried BC roses though. Make the roses ahead of time using stiff BC and let airdry for a few days. They don't get as hard as royal but they're still easy to handle and taste better too. You can also brush these with luster/petal dusts if you wanted too.

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 12:09pm
post #4 of 6

I also prefer the taste of the BC roses, but I find the RI ones very easy to work with as well. They air dry in one day to a point of being able to put them in a storage bowl usually. I have 100's of them I keep made in different colors at my shop in tupperware bowls.

charman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charman Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 1:36pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks...never thought of just air drying the BC roses...I like being able to eat the roses...seems like such a waste to make the royal ones to just watch people pull them off, and toss them. Just might try the BC air-dryed. Thanks. Might experiment now, and then if they don't want to work...I at least know I can do the royal ones. I do plan to dust the petal edges with gold dust, and use gold foil leaves instead of green leaves. Hope it will work.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 1:42pm
post #6 of 6

Just do plenty of extras to allow for breakage ... I do BC roses like that all the time.. just plan ahead, make them up giving them plenty of time to dry ... they do taste much better than the royal icing ones do ... I do keep the royal icing ones made up, but I tend not to use them as much as I do the BC ...

Lisa, I've never tried the luster/petal dust on them.. you just brush it on dry I'd suppose? right? I wouldn't think you could wet these kind of roses in any way right?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%