What Does This Mean In A Recipe?

Baking By queenamy Updated 16 Aug 2006 , 10:50pm by cakedeco

queenamy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenamy Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 10:04pm
post #1 of 10

For example:

"1-1/2 cups solid vegetable shortening"

How much veg shorting do I put then??

I dont understand the "1-1/2 cups" part... ive seen many recipes like this and I just dont get it icon_redface.gif

Someone please help!

~Amy

9 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 10:06pm
post #2 of 10

one and one-half cups of shortening.

facepainter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
facepainter Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 10:12pm
post #3 of 10

The measurement is a standard cup measurement. Shortening is difficult to get into and out of a measuring cup, so you can use a larger measuring cup, say a 4 cup, fill with 2 cups water, add shortening to make up needed measurement, 1 1/2 cups would then be 3 1/2 cups ( 2+1 1/2). Then pour off the water to have the correct amount of shortening.

cherlygirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherlygirlie Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 10:21pm
post #4 of 10

I prefer to work with the Crisco sticks. They come in packages of three 1 cup sticks. They are the same consistency, easy to measure and easy to add to a recipe. Also saves time scooping out of a big container! They may cost a little more than a big container, but well worth it in the time and aggravation saved! (So 1 1/2 cups would be 1 1/2 sticks).

TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 10:31pm
post #5 of 10

16 + 8 table spoons =24 table spoons or if u have a mearsruing cup 1cup full + 1/2 cup full..thats what i always thought...

facepaninter u totally lost me..never heard of it that way...

queenamy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenamy Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 10:36pm
post #6 of 10

OK I have crisco sticks.. so it that what it means 1 1/2 cups? lol ok thats what i thought but since it had the "-" in the middle I was not sure

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 10:41pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by facepainter

The measurement is a standard cup measurement. Shortening is difficult to get into and out of a measuring cup, so you can use a larger measuring cup, say a 4 cup, fill with 2 cups water, add shortening to make up needed measurement, 1 1/2 cups would then be 3 1/2 cups ( 2+1 1/2). Then pour off the water to have the correct amount of shortening.

thats a great idea...is it an accurate measure that way??

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 10:46pm
post #8 of 10

I pull off a piece of plastic wrap and 'line' the measuring cup w/ it. Then fill it w/ crisco and when I turn it upside down the crisco falls out into the bowl. Then I do it again for the 1/2 cup. Once done, I pull out the plastic wrap and toss it in the trash, then put my measuring cup back in the drawer cuz it's still clean! icon_lol.gif

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 10:49pm
post #9 of 10

Facepainter is using the displacement method for measuring her shortening, and it's a good way to do it if you don't have Crisco sticks (love those) and don't like washing greasy measuring cups (hate that). Filling a large measuring cup that holds more volume than the amount of shortening you need with water - MINUS the amount of shortening you need - and then adding shortening to fill the cup will give you what you need without getting grease all over your measuring cup that has to be washed out later. The water in the measuring cup keeps the grease from getting smushed all over the sides. For instance, if I wanted a half cup of Crisco, I'd get my one-cup measuring cup and put a half cup of water in it. Then I'd put Crisco in until when I push the Crisco under water, the water level is the full measuring cup.

Did that make any sense? LOL!

Deanna

P.S. - Audrey, great idea!!! thumbs_up.gif

cakedeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedeco Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 10:50pm
post #10 of 10

I use the wonder cups. It's like two tubes ( one with a bottom). And when it is filled all you do is push it up and it slides out

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%