Any Other Type Of Chocolate That Will Create A Hard Shell?

Sugar Work By Katskakes Updated 2 Jul 2007 , 11:36am by Cookies4kids

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 3

Besides candy melts?

thanks,
Kat

2 replies
ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 3

Any good quality chocolate, even chocolate chips can make a chocolate shell or chocolate wrap, and be molded in a mold. It can be tempered or not, depending on how you plan to use it. Tempering gives chocolate that "snap" sound when you break it or bite into it, it also adds a lovely gloss or shine and somewhat keeps it from melting instantly in your fingers. If you do not want to temper you can add either melted cocoa butter or vegetable/Canola oil to the melted chocolate, about 1 Tablespoon oil to 1 lb. chocolate. Some use a product called Paramount Crystals, but they are rather expensive and the vegetable oil works just as well.

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 11:36am
post #3 of 3

Hi Kat,
This is my faovite coating for dipping because it dries shiny and you can handle the finished product without getting finger marks on it.

6 oz. good semi sweet chocolat chips
4 oz. dark chocolate candy melts
2 Tbs. butter
1/4 bar of food grade paraffin was

I melt the wax in my little "antique" candy double boiler. Then I melt the chocolate and the butter together in a little glass bowl. I carefully stir the chocolate into the melted wax so I don't splash the wax up on the pan. It's hard to clean up the melted wax if it splashes!!!!
The original recipe calls for just the semi sweet chips, butter, and wax, but I extend the recipe a little by adding the candy melts. Some melts seem to be thicker than others when melted, so you might need to add only 3 oz. if you feel it's too thick when it is melted.
I hope this helps
Lilybird

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%