Doctoring Strawberry Cake Mixes

Baking By gmcakes Updated 1 Sep 2013 , 5:10am by LovinFTOven

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 2:24pm
post #1 of 11

I like to add pureed frozen strawberries to my Strawberry Cake mixes.

However when I do this it adds too much moisture and the cakes need to bake longer, usually not a problem. But when baking multiple flavors in the same pan, it doesn't quite work right.

I read somewhere, years ago, that you can replace the oil in a cake mix with applesauce. Now that has got me wondering if you could do the same thing and replace the oil with pureed stawberries?

I use the "Durable Cake for 3D and Tier Cakes" recipe available here on CC most of the time. It calls for the cake mix, water, eggs, oil, sour cream, and pudding mix.

Anyone have any thoughts on this "theory"?

10 replies
Florimbio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Florimbio Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 9:30pm
post #2 of 11

I can not help ya on those ideas, but I dictor mine with substituting the water for the orange stawberry banna juice...It is a big hit, cooks the same way...

gmcakes Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 11:15pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks for the tip, but how does it affect the taste?

Florimbio Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 12:30am
post #4 of 11

I have had a ton of brided order it for the wedding cakes...It is a huge hit..it mellows the flavor a bit. Most are surprised they love it. They expect that they will not like it as much as they do...

It is probable my 2nd best selling cake.....

gmcakes Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 12:52am
post #5 of 11

Thanks!

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 10:44am
post #6 of 11

I added chopped frozen strawberries to mine. It was really dense cake and didn't rise much. It tastes OK. Is this what you get or do I need to make it again with less water?

gmcakes Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 4:09am
post #7 of 11

I usually use the durable cake for 3d and tiers recipe from CC (not sure the exact title anymore-will try to post a link! I have it memorized!)

My "theory" worked great! Had a great flavor, moist, and rose & baked evenly. For anyone interested this is exactly what I used:

1 box strawberry cake mix
1 small box french vanilla pudding
4 whole eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup pureed, unsweetened frozen strawberries + oil to equal 1/2 cup total

Here is the original recipe (follow these directions):
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1972-Durable-Cake-for-3D-and-Wedding-Cakes.html

icon_eek.gif ...I thought I had the recipe memorized, but I guess I was wrong, LOL! Maybe that's why my cakes are so moist? I use whole eggs instead of whites, and I had the measurements reversed for oil and water, duh!

dunce.gif ...I guess if it works...as they say, if it ain't broke-don't fix it!

ashley_w_101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashley_w_101 Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 7:40pm
post #8 of 11

Florimbio,

I am glad to hear that you use strawberry banana orange juice and it tastes good! I am going to make a strawberry cake for this weekend, and I wandered around the grocery store the other day looking for things to add to a DH strawberry cake mix. I ended up buying strawberry banana orange juice becauase I thought it would have a good flavor with the cake. I was excited to see your post because I wasn't sure how much juice to add. I was just wondering what type of frosting do you use with this cake? I planned on doing my usual white buttercream, or maybe adding some strawberry flavoring to it. I am not sure because I haven't tasted this cake before; what flavor of icing works best with it? Thank you for your help!

Florimbio Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 8:37pm
post #9 of 11

asley_w_101...

I Love this cake and have had a ton of brides order it..I use Pillsberry, but I am sure it would be ok with DH..I just substitute the water for the juice!

As far as BC, I like my regular BC, but I do the french van. creamer intstead of water..or I like a cream cheese BC with it..YUM!!!

Hope you like it as much as I do icon_biggrin.gif

ashley_w_101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashley_w_101 Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 10:02pm
post #10 of 11

Florimbio,
Ooooh...French Vanilla Creamer sounds wonderful! I can't wait to try this recipe out! Thanks for the help!

Ashley

LovinFTOven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LovinFTOven Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 5:10am
post #11 of 11

So I made the recipe above and my cupcakes didn't turn our cakey and didn't rise as much. Suggestions?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%