Color Mist

Decorating By Babarooskie Updated 27 Jun 2007 , 6:54pm by monnitas0808

Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 2:08am
post #1 of 8

OK.. I used the Wilton color spray and it turned out really bad.

It was a 3 tier cake with BC on it. I needed to color it black...

When I sprayed it on, it looked purple on top of the cake! But that's not the worst thing that happened..it gets better- it was dripping down the cake!

What did I do wrong??

Pls help!

7 replies
kellycakes4949 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellycakes4949 Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 2:52am
post #2 of 8

I was glad to see your post. I just used the same thing, black colour mist. It's aweful! Had it have worked the way I thought it would the effect on my cake would have been great, I was making the top of the cake look like a record. Now I had to go and make black icing and it does not look as good as I had envisioned.

I had the same issue, I sprayed and it came out clear at first and then looked like a really light purple-grey, it's terrible. I thought it was me so I shook the can really, really well again and then tried on a paper towel, terrible still. Mine didn't drip down the sides but I can see how it would have as it looked wet after I sprayed it on. I am very disappointed, I have never used colour mist before and I never will buy it again. I am going to return my used can tomorrow!

Sorry I can't answer your question but at least you know it's not you, it's the product!

infields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infields Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 4:49am
post #3 of 8

I agree! That stuff is horrible! I don't think they should even call it black. It's not black at all. Not even a light grey. My cake had reddish purple spots and it dripped because I kept spraying it thinking that it would actually start to come out black. I then sprayed it with some blue to try and salvage my cake and cover up the ugly mess. My dh came in and asked me why I was spray painting the cake and said he would never eat something that looked like that. I ended up scraping all my icing off and starting over!
I wish I would have thought to take my empty cans back for a refund. I will never buy that stuff again.
You didn't do anything wrong. It's just a bad product.

suzmazza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzmazza Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 4:53am
post #4 of 8

The product isn't the greatest thats been invented thats for sure! I think it is designed to do more small spray work if you dont have access to an airbrush. There seems to be a trick to it though. Be sure to thoroughly shake the can and use sweeping continuous movements. At no point can you stop spraying and start again with this stuff. If you do, it turns into droplets. Anytime you need to stop spraying and restart, you will need to re-shake the can. Hope this helps, but I do agree...a tough product to get even results with!

idoweddingcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoweddingcookies Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 5:03am
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the tip. I just bought my first can of it.. I don't think I'm going to try it now. thumbsdown.gif

Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 1:08pm
post #6 of 8

<whew!> I thought it was just me!!

I did everything the can said to do: shake, hold at a 45 degree angle, blah blah blah.

I ended up having to make black icing and going over it. icon_sad.gif
I've seen it being used on cakes on the internet and it tuned out perfect....

teasom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teasom Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 5:33pm
post #7 of 8

I've used the blue color mist and it worked great for me. Never tried black. Sorry it didn't work out. icon_sad.gif

monnitas0808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monnitas0808 Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 6:54pm
post #8 of 8

THE TRICK TO THE MIST IS THE LAYERS, BUT THAT MEANS YOU HAVE TO TAKE YOUR TIME....

FIRST YOU HAVE TO COAT IT WITH A GREEN LET IT DRY AND THEN COAT IT AGAIN

SECOND PURPLE LET DRY AND COAT AGAIN

THEN FINALLY YOUR BLACK WITH MAYBE ABOUT 3 COATS...

AT THE END YOU HAVE A FUNNY TASTING BUTTERCREAM BUT YOU HAVE ACHIEVED YOUR COLOR.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%