Where Are You Buying In Bulk?

Business By Melvira Updated 18 Sep 2007 , 9:30pm by golfgirl1227

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 25

I'm trying to cut costs for a new building, but it's hard when you have to buy smaller amounts. That is much more expensive. Here's the problem... I tried the "Bakers and Chefs" brand powdered sugar at Sam's club and the icing it made is nasty. Pasty, grainy, not good! I have found C&H PS to be the only brand I will use, but my Sam's club doesn't have the 50# bags that some of you have mentioned. Where oh where can I get these types of things in bulk? Anyone? I'd be forever grateful for any info!! (I want this building badly... gotta cut those costs! hahaha!)

24 replies
wdsanders21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wdsanders21 Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 10:06pm
post #2 of 25

I would love to hear this info as well.

johnniekake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnniekake Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 1:03am
post #3 of 25

I buy in bulk at Sams 50# bags of pd sugar,sugar,flour...........the pd sugar is dixie brand.........you can ask sams to special order it for you.
good luck

sweetcakes092469 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes092469 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 12:50am
post #4 of 25

i have priced all these things at sam's and have found that i get them cheaper at the grocery store, when i find things on sale , i buy it. like i just bought sugar .88 per 4 lb bag, much cheaper than sam's, i bought 200 bags!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 12:59am
post #5 of 25

woah, sweetcakes! Where in the world do you live where you can get PS on sale for that much?

coreenag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coreenag Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 1:11am
post #6 of 25

No kidding! I would have bought them out as well! Great deal! If only I could come across one of those! thumbs_up.gif

mekaclayton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mekaclayton Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 1:20am
post #7 of 25

WOW icon_eek.gif that is some cheap sugar! I can never find it that cheap!

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 1:27am
post #8 of 25

If you have a business license, then you should be able to order most of your supplies wholesale from a restaurant supplier. Look in the phone book under Food Products. Find out where the schools and local restaurants get their supplies.

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 1:41am
post #9 of 25

I have ordered from Sysco and US Foods before, but really the only advantage to using them "wholesale" is that the bring it right to you. The price isn't any better. I do go to Sams for some things but in all honesty, like sweetcakes said, the best deals are to be had shopping the grocery store sales. That is - if you can tolerate doing all your own hauling.....

Funny - our Sams doesn't sell PS (or any other flour or sugar) in 50 lb bags. 25 pound is the max, and as far as PS goes, the biggest I can get there is a 7lb bag of Dominos PS for 7 bucks. At a dollar a pound, it's a LITTLE cheaper than WalMart's price for the same brand, but not much.

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 1:44am
post #10 of 25

We also some times have sugar on sale for.99 per 4 Il bags thumbsdown.gif but its always limt one deal .How did you get 200 ?????

Melvira Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 2:47am
post #11 of 25

Yah, all the Sam's Clubs around here only have the 7 lb. bag of PS and it makes the nastiest frosting. Blech!! Oh, I probably already posted that in the initial post... sorry if I am repeating myself! icon_redface.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Suzie757 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzie757 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 11:11am
post #12 of 25

DelightsbyE -
I am so sorry icon_sad.gif your powdered sugar is so expensive. I only pay $4.13 for the Domino 7 pound bag and I am just next to you in Virginia.

shifty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shifty Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 10:21pm
post #13 of 25

Have you tried Costco? I havent been in on of those for years but they may have them there. Also Food for less or Winn Co has pretty good prices on powder sugar, Thats where I get mine and I pay a dollar for a 4lbs bag.

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 1:22am
post #14 of 25

Anyone near a Restaurant Depot? I buy a case of 24 1lb boxes of Dominos ps for about $18. The boxes are convenient for me but they also sell flour, sugar etc in bulk bags. Cupcake liners 500 for about $4. They have lots of other stuff including boxes. You do need a tax id # for a membership, but it is free.

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 1:18pm
post #15 of 25

I used to get my 50# C&H at Costco, but they've changed brands. Their new 50# bag does not say pure cane, so I haven't tried it. Their new 4# bags are Imperial brand. I don't like it as well as C&H, but it's cheaper ($1.99) than the grocery store. I agree about Sam's club powder sugar. I was doing a wedding cake with it a while back and I had to scrape all the frosting off and start over after my husband ran out to buy some C&H.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 5:30pm
post #16 of 25

Melvira, Have you contacted TPC yet to see what they offer? I know Sysco has a warehouse in Ankeny, but that is the closest, but they do deliver out this way.

I would say check with these two to see what brands they carry. Otherwise what about contacting C&H and see who their local distributors are for the larger bags? Who knows they may even be able to ship direct to you.

mom2ty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2ty Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 3:32pm
post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by vww104

Anyone near a Restaurant Depot? I buy a case of 24 1lb boxes of Dominos ps for about $18. The boxes are convenient for me but they also sell flour, sugar etc in bulk bags. Cupcake liners 500 for about $4. They have lots of other stuff including boxes. You do need a tax id # for a membership, but it is free.

May be a silly question but I have one right up the street from where I work. I don't technically have a business with a tax ID #. I know sometimes you can use your SSN for a tax id. Anyone know if you can do this here? TIA

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 6:22pm
post #18 of 25

It's funny how all the Sam's are different... Mine has 7 lb bags of Dominos for $4.13 so this is what I've been buying. I also buy big bags of sugar, flour, chocolate chips, butter, eggs and sour cream at Sam's. I love paying only $6-7 for 4 lbs of butter!

Restaurant depot is good too! Mine sells cases of the 2 lb bags of Dominos. I don't know about using your ss# there. I don't have a business license yet but my dh's caterer friend gave him a card for R. Depot so we can go there whenever... They also sell 11 lb bars of Callebaut for about $30.

Hey Melvira, do you have any bakery supply warehouses nearby?

Courtney

modthyrth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
modthyrth Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 9:37pm
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2ty

Quote:
Originally Posted by vww104

May be a silly question but I have one right up the street from where I work. I don't technically have a business with a tax ID #. I know sometimes you can use your SSN for a tax id. Anyone know if you can do this here? TIA

They actually don't ask for your tax ID number, they ask for your tax resale number (I just got a membership last week, so the info is fresh in mind!). They won't even let you in the front door to look around without the tax resale certificate from your state.

hwhite0131 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hwhite0131 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 2:22am
post #20 of 25

I just priced PS and some other baking products at the local Costco here in Southern California. A 50 pound bag of PS was priced at $20.49 (big duh I forgot to write down what brand it was). Hope this helps!

Heather

Melvira Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 2:46am
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacc

Hey Melvira, do you have any bakery supply warehouses nearby?

Courtney

Not that I can find... this is what is driving me nuts! I know that restaurants, etc. have got to be buying this stuff SOMEWHERE... but I am SO picky about brands and quality! I wish I weren't such a snob, but I insist on offering the best product I know I can make! icon_rolleyes.gif I've gone to TPC for a few things... I mainly get my big bottles of almond flavoring there, but I won't get most stuff there. I have found that these 'restaurant supply' places are actually a lot more expensive than other places for most stuff. I mean, a box of cake mix is $2 there, where I can get them for $.80 at Wal-Mart! That doesn't even take math skills to figure that one out! It's just frustrating because I hear people saying all the time that they get C&H in 50# bags super cheap and it makes me crazy! I WANNA GET THESE DEALS TOO!! Waaaaah! icon_cry.gif Ok, sorry, fit over! icon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 3:33am
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightsByE

I have ordered from Sysco and US Foods before, but really the only advantage to using them "wholesale" is that the bring it right to you. The price isn't any better.

Depends on what you're buying.

Grated orange peel, rosemary, baking soda, brown sugar, salad are all cheaper for me at Sysco (the grated orange peel was something like $3.50/ounce at Walmart vs. $0.25/ounce at Sysco). Some things are about the same price but the quality is MUCH better at Sysco (i.e. strawberries are HUGE, no matter what time of the year; chicken requires less trimming, salad lasts much longer with their vacuum sealed packaging, etc.).

However, the mini-M&M's for cookies are WAY cheaper to buy by the regular household-size bag at Walmart than to buy the 25 lb bag at Sysco. I figured it up and it would save me $13 if I bought 25 lbs worth at Walmart ..... AND I woudln't have to buy the whole 25 lbs!!

The key to smart buying is to know what you're paying. I keep a spreadsheet of every single thing I buy from every supplier. I have it broken down by total cost per container and cost per unit (per lb, per oz, per my allocated serving size). It's listed alphabetically by item (Chicken - Boneless Breast; Chicken - breaded tenders; Chicken - Salad) for easy reference when I'm making the shopping list of what I'm getting where.

When I'm sitting with my Sysco rep, I pull this sheet out and tell her I can get it for $1 cheaper at GFS, so meet it, beat it, or lose it. As I'm buying supplies, I pull this sheet to determine if I'm buying salad dressing from Sam's or GFS; if I'm buying pasta from Sysco or GFS. It really ticks me off when I forget to pick up Crisco at Sam's and have to run to Walmart and pay what seems like almost double for it!

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 8:50am
post #23 of 25

I get most of my flour/sugar from Cash & Carry. I don't know if you have one where you're at but they're all over around here. They have a huge selection in flour an sugar also. I don't use all that much PS (most of my frosting is cooked) but I still buy it at Costco. They have a 25# bag but I prefer using the 4# bags because they're just the right size for me and the bigger bags are not pre-sifted like the smaller bags. If I want to make a quadruple batch (max amt for the 6qt KA) of wilton BC, I just have to pull out a 4# bag and use it.

If you'll have a store front, it should be no problem to get orders from sysco or FSA( Foodservices of america). Go to their websites and find out if they deliver to your area. You might have to contact a rep to see if they'll deliver to you but you can get a price sheet and go from there. They have a huge selection.

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 4:55pm
post #24 of 25

I've done some price comparison for PS and different brands. The only one I found that I like that works great for my frosting is the Kroger brand. When I need to buy a huge amount, I just call my local store manager and he sets it aside or orders extra. So I don't have to hop from store to store to get all the ones I need.

You could always try calling ahead to see if your local market can set aside things when you need to come in and buy large.

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 9:30pm
post #25 of 25

My local Sam's used to have the 50 # bag of C&H but doesn't any more. They carry that 7# bag of Bakers and Chefs. I've been planning on asking them if they can order for me, but I have a call into Sysco to see what they can do. I feel your pain!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%