Cake Delivery

Decorating By LJJohnson Updated 28 Mar 2013 , 9:51am by kanderson27

LJJohnson Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 10

My best friend is getting married, and I volunteered to make her cake (as her gift because they don't have much money). I've never done a cake for a wedding before, and am probably fairly clueless to how it all works.

What I am most worried about is delivering the cake to the hall. The ceremony and reception are in the same room, and the ceremony starts at 5pm. When would be the best time to deliver the cake? Am I supposed to contact the hall to set up a time, or do I just show up with a cake? I"m planning on making th cake the day before, so is it bad to deliever the cake in the morning so I can be apart of the "just before the wedding" stuff with my friend?'

Also, how does everyone transport their wedding cakes? This will be a small one...3 teirs but will only serve 75 people (50 - 60 guests are planned). I'm just afraid that I'll mess up the cake somewhere between my house and the hall (about a 30 minute drive).

Any other "Tricks of the trade" anyone would like to offer up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help,

9 replies
indydebi Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 10

I always allow one-hour for set-up and I try to time so that it's one hour before the guests arrive. In your case, I would set it up no later than 4:00. In my personal opinion, I don't like to be setting up the cake or buffet when guests arrive .... I think it looks better to have it all set up and ready to go.

I always let the bride know what time I will arrive to set up the cake and she relays that to the facility. If it's a facility I've never worked in, I always do an introductory call to introduce myself, because I usually have to find out insurance requirements, etc., anyway.

I never deliver cakes assembled, but some of that is dependent on your design.

OhMyGoodies Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 6:37pm
post #3 of 10

Remember to keep in mind it's just a normal cake... it's nothing special and it doesn't HAVE to be perfect... if you keep that in mind the whole time nothing will go wrong icon_wink.gif I was so worried about something happening to the most recent cakes I did (one wedding recreation and one just because so the kids wouldn't touch the other) the one that needed to be perfect kept screwing up on the way there the ribbons fell off the sides and continued to do so until I got there (20 mins) and fixed it... the other one that didn't matter... not a single thing happened lol....

Also, I would plan to deliver and set up before the wedding, maybe around threeish that'll give you 2 hours with the bride before the wedding. Maybe 2:30ish if needed... that way not much time for someone to screw it up....

Also give yourself plenty of time to set up because you will NOT carry it tiered you will stack it on site and add additional decos that are needed at that time to hide the fact it's 3 seperate cakes (ie: hide cake boards with borders etc.)

tnuty Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 10

If you have to travel with your cake assembled be sure to dowel properly so it doesnt fall over enroute to the facility. Good luck!

pmw109 Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 6:47pm
post #5 of 10

Hi LJ,
I'm doing a wedding cake for a friend as their gift also and I'm planning on driving the cake there and assembling the cake on site. Plus it's about 1 1/2 hours away. I agree also that you don't want the guests to see you working on the cake. Good luck

LJJohnson Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 4:39pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks for your help! I have a couple more questions.

How does everyone transport their cakes? What type containers do you use to carry the cakes? Should I be buying two more cake carriers to get the cakes into the car and then into the hall? Or are there other tricks to that?

Thanks again for all of your help

indydebi Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 4:43pm
post #7 of 10

I use cake boxes. If the cake is too big for a box, then it's on one of my cake stands and loosely covered with saran wrap. The cake boxes are used after the wedding to store any leftover cake.

miriel Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 4:44pm
post #8 of 10

To transport cakes, I use cake boxes that snuggly fit the boards the cakes are on.

tnuty Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 11:27am
post #9 of 10

I use boxes, but if it doesnt fit in a box it goes as is..

kanderson27 Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 9:51am
post #10 of 10 sells tier cake boxes specifically for large tier cakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%