Possibly Stupid Question Re: Heating Core And Flower Nail

Decorating By ediecooks Updated 26 Jun 2007 , 6:09pm by ediecooks

ediecooks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ediecooks Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 5:29pm
post #1 of 6

i am about to bake a 10x13 round cake for my dd's birthday and realized that the cake pan says it requires the heating core. which i do not have, icon_mad.gif !

I do have the flower nail that came in my wilton class kit and remember reading something about using that instead...can anyone tell me if this is ok?

thanks!

5 replies
miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 6

You can use it. If you have more than one, I suggest using 2 or 3 of them in that pan.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 5:37pm
post #3 of 6

Is it a 10X 3" pan?? Like 10" round 3" high?? You had put 10X13 and I am unaware of that pan?? sorry I'm confused...but, you should use the flower nail. You can grease it and coat it with flower and then put it in the center of your pan before you put your batter into the pan. If you do have a couple more you CAN put them in but, I just had problems with that this past weekend. For a 10" I find that if you just lower the temp on your oven a few degrees and use the one in the middle it should be fine. When I put two into the pan I had separated them a few inches and this caused my cake to not bake properly in the center. I found that one right in the middle helped my cake for a 10".
Hope that helps!!

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 5:45pm
post #4 of 6

i dont use a core or nail for a 10in round only for 12in and over. i usually just bake at 325 and its fine

klesyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klesyd Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 5:45pm
post #5 of 6

I also use the nail in my larger cakes. I especially use it in my 10 and 12 inch cakes. One greased and floured one right in the middle works great. One time I forgot to put the nail in. It wasn't even greased and floured yet but I just sunk it into the batter and it still worked. I wouldn't always recomend this way though.

ediecooks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ediecooks Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 6:09pm
post #6 of 6

it is 10x3, sorry about that!

thanks for the help everyone. now just to get my house to cool down enough to turn on the oven!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%