Wedding Cake Transport Advice

Decorating By lehall2006 Updated 28 Jun 2007 , 1:22pm by lehall2006

lehall2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lehall2006 Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 12

Hi CC,

I'm doing my first stacked wedding cake next month (6, 10, 14) for a wedding that's about an hour's drive away. I plan to fill, frost and dowel at home, but I'm wondering if it's better to stack at home and transport it fully assembled, or transport the tiers separately and assemble the cake onsite?

The venue is letting me use their commercial kitchen for two hours before the wedding, so I'll have plenty of time onsite if I need it.

Also, any general tips or suggestions about transportation would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Lauren

11 replies
tnuty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnuty Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 12

Personally if possible I would stack there then you wouldnt need to use the long dowel through all 3 cakes and avoid the crushing and blowout stress that comes with that all together... I hate that!! I had that happen to me once what a nightmare..And if you have 2 whole hours you have plenty of time to perfect it on site.. that would be the safest 1 hour is a long time in the car and anything can happen not only with you but other people dont drive well uhhhh.. lets say so nicely... Good luck with your cake.

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 12

Personally I prefer to transport seperated and then assemble on site and add boarders. I just feel more comfortable that way.

apclassicwed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apclassicwed Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 12

Transport separately and assemble on site, especially since you have use of the venue's commercial kitchen for 2 hours--that should be ample time to construct

moochy720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moochy720 Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 4:42pm
post #5 of 12

I agree, assemble the cake there if you can. Less of a chance for transportation mishaps that way. I also have a transportation question... I'm making my sister's graduation cake next week and my parents are only 20-30 minutes away. Part of the cake is going to be a large sheet cake that is too big for any box I've found, so it's going to be on a covered piece of plywood. How would I make sure that nothing like dirt, etc. ends up on the cake? (it's going to be covered in buttercream) Should I gently lay plastic wrap on it?

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 4:46pm
post #6 of 12

I agree with the others. Transport the cakes separately so you do not have to worry about slippage, damaged cakes, etc.

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 4:53pm
post #7 of 12

I think most people transport cakes apart as much as possible.

SweetObsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetObsession Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 6:10pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by moochy720

I'm making my sister's graduation cake next week and my parents are only 20-30 minutes away. Part of the cake is going to be a large sheet cake that is too big for any box I've found, so it's going to be on a covered piece of plywood. How would I make sure that nothing like dirt, etc. ends up on the cake? (it's going to be covered in buttercream) Should I gently lay plastic wrap on it?

You might want to check out a local shipping, moving or mailing store for a nice sturdy cardboard box. The box may be taller, longer, etc., but as long as it's the proper width, you can always lay it on it's side. Just slide the cake in the opened end and slide it out when you arrive for delivery. That's what I've used in the past. They're more expensive than cake boxes, but you can always reuse them. It would be a shame to mess up any of your hard work with plastic wrap. Just my opinion, but I hope it helps.

moochy720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moochy720 Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 8:53pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks for the idea! I think I will hunt around the house for a box that is tall enough to be put on it's side. I'll be baking the cakes a couple days before the party so I'll have time to run to the store to buy a box if the ones I have at home aren't large enough! icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 9:16pm
post #10 of 12

Well, I do wedding cakes almost exclusively, but I've been doing them for several years and have nerves of steel at this point. I would transport the bottom two stacked and put the top on at the venue. But I use SPS and therefoere I know the cake isn't going to move during transport.

Also put down a piece of non-skid mat under the cake.

I transport in an SUV, but a van is also ideal. Never transported in a car.

Take a tool and repair kit with you.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 9:20pm
post #11 of 12

I always transport separate; always assemble on site.

lehall2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lehall2006 Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 1:22pm
post #12 of 12

Thank you all so much for your advice! I think I'm going to go with the group consensus and transport the tiers separately. I'll let you know how it goes! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%