Need A Moist Yellow Recipe

Baking By michelle0328 Updated 20 Sep 2007 , 8:14am by dreamyprin

michelle0328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michelle0328 Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 1:56pm
post #1 of 18

This is my first post....

I have been trying different yellow cake recipes and have yet to find one that I like. They seem to always come out too dense, and would like them to be moist. Can anyone help.....

17 replies
oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 1:59pm
post #2 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle0328

I have been trying different yellow cake recipes and have yet to find one that I like. They seem to always come out too dense, and would like them to be moist. Can anyone help.....

Well I can't offer any suggestions as I'm a novice in the experimenting with recipes department myself LOL but I will say congrats on your first post and welcome. Just beware, it IS addicting LOL but lots of fun here lots of creative and talented people with a vast and diverse set of experiences and knowledge to share icon_smile.gif

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 2:04pm
post #3 of 18
Quote:

are you looking for a scratch recipe?

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 2:10pm
post #4 of 18

If you are talking about scratch recipes, have you tried folding 1/2 of the flour in instead of using the beater? That makes for a more tender crumb.

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 2:17pm
post #5 of 18

Check out baking911.com for recipes. They have some great ones!

michelle0328 Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 2:43pm
post #6 of 18

Thanks for the replies and yes I am looking for a scratch recipe.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 2:52pm
post #7 of 18

most "yellow" cakes are gonna be dense as they are really butter cakes. try RBL's yellow downey cake from "the cake bible", its moist and more fluffy than the others that i have tried, not to mention delicious.

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 5:13pm
post #8 of 18

Hi and Welcome!!!

I have a very good one that is moist and fluffy. It is called "Yellow cake layers" and its from Gourmet Magazine. If you do a search under my name Naty, it will come up. If not let me know and I will post it.

Good Luck,
Naty

michelle0328 Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 5:50pm
post #9 of 18

I found the recipe for the Yellow Cake Layers-Will give it a whirl and let you know how it comes out.....

Thanks.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 11:18pm
post #10 of 18

That yellow cake layers recipe from Gourmet Magazine is almost identical to their Classic White Cake which has a yellow variation. The white cake version is at present my first choice for white. So it should be good.

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 11:32pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:

Thanks for the replies and yes I am looking for a scratch recipe.

Well, I do a basic yellow cake recipe or butter cake similar to the 1234 cake...

I also make a simple syrup to add moisteness to it.

I have the recipe posted here under recipes. Just look for my user name.

The simple syrup is:

2 cups of water
1 cup of granulated sugar
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract

Optional:

1/4 cup of Brandy liquor and 2 tablespoons of Amaretto

Mix water and sugar. Mix over medium heat, until sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil over medium heat and let it boil for about 10 minutes.

Remove from heat. Let it get lukewarm. Add vanilla and liquors.

Wait until it completely cools and brush on or spray with a spray bottle on completely cooled cake.

CakeTopper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeTopper Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 11:50pm
post #12 of 18

I love the yellow cake recipe in Toba Garrett's book "A Well Decorated Cake." It takes a little time but it has always turned out really well for me. It is worth the effort. It is on the dense side, though. But very moist and tasty.

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 12:31am
post #13 of 18

Toba Garrett's moist yellow cake and Slyvia Weinstock's classic yellow cake are the best.

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 8:24pm
post #14 of 18

i use toba's yellow cake (got it from epicurious... but dont forget that most scratch cakes are more dense than a mix (right?)

not that they will not be moist or fluffy

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 8:30pm
post #15 of 18

hi and welcome to the most addictive site around.

i ust the yellow cake recipe from the better homes and gardens collection. it works for me. very light recipe.

i will type it out for you when i go home. im at work now.

autobuni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
autobuni Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 7:08pm
post #16 of 18

This is a recipe I use for pretty much EVERY Cake! I just change the flavor and you are set. SOOO GOOOD and not that bad for you either!!!
2c. sugar
1/2c. light butter
2 egg yolks (room temp is ok)
2c. All purpose flour
1t. baking soda
1c. Lowfat Buttermilk
3t. vanilla (or whatever flavor. *if using almond, I used 2t. almond, 1t. vanilla)
6 egg whites

Combine sugar and butter in mixer. Add egg yolks one at a time. In a seperate bowl, combine flour and baking soda. Measure out Buttermilk. Starting and ending with flour mixture, alternate with buttermilk adding to mixture slowly. Beat until mixed. In a seperate mixer, whip egg whites until peaks form. Fold into batter. Spray pans with Pam, use cake release or crisco and line them. Any one works well. (I would at least line the bottom of the pans)
Bake at 350* for 23 minutes. Yield (2) 9" pans. If bigger pan, bake longer as needed.
ENJOY!!!

jlllyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlllyn Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 2:52am
post #17 of 18

I just made the Golden Butter Cream Cake from the "Cake Bible" and loved it.

It really melts in the mouth. A little too sweet for my liking though.

dreamyprin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamyprin Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 8:14am
post #18 of 18

Hi,
Nice to be back. New computer. I am taking my wilton course 1. I am really enjoying it and learning alot. As soon as i learn how to upload photos, i'll post one. icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%