Square Cake Pans

Decorating By chixbaby27 Updated 18 Jun 2005 , 12:09am by aupekkle

chixbaby27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chixbaby27 Posted 13 Jun 2005 , 6:39pm
post #1 of 15

I see such beautiful, tall square cakes, but haven't found any pans that big. Where do you get huge square pans (well, bigger than 8x8, which is all I have!) or how do you improvise to get the shape?

14 replies
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 13 Jun 2005 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 15

I just love those square pans.. nice crisp lines! Wilton sells the square pans but in a pinch you can make a rectanhular cake and cut it down to a square. Save the scraps for cake balls or another project!

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 14 Jun 2005 , 1:20am
post #3 of 15

Great idea MrsMissey!

unforgetable2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unforgetable2u Posted 14 Jun 2005 , 1:35am
post #4 of 15

i just bought a 16x16 sqaure at my local cake decorating store... she gets them through wilton . she had all sorts of sizes.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 14 Jun 2005 , 1:42am
post #5 of 15

I'm doing a square wedding cake for August 16th .. she wants the squares at odd angles, or offset as I call it ... hopefully all comes out well with this one lol

I have the 16" x 16", a 14" x 14", 12" x 12", 10"x 10" , 8" x 8" and 6" by 6" square pans.. I think I've used every one of them too lol

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 14 Jun 2005 , 3:10am
post #6 of 15

Check ebay! They have plenty of square pans from Wilton, Magic Line, etc.

ang_ag82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ang_ag82 Posted 15 Jun 2005 , 9:03pm
post #7 of 15

Mrs. Missey what are cake balls and what do you use them for. I tend to have a lot of scraps when I bake, leveling my cakes off. Can anyone help me here?

wandy27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wandy27 Posted 15 Jun 2005 , 9:09pm
post #8 of 15

Here you can get some recipes for those cake crumbs
http://www.earlenescakes.com/CakeCrumbRecipes.htm

Wandy

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 15 Jun 2005 , 9:19pm
post #9 of 15

Here is Cookieman's (a former member)recipe...

2 cups crumbled cake scraps
2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder (if cake scraps are not chocolate based)
1/4 cup chopped almonnds (or any other nut you like, or mini-chocolate chips, or M&Ms, you get the idea!)
2 generous shots of amaretto (or any other liquer you may like, a good non-alcohol substitution is any flavored coffee creamer)

Put all ingredients in a mixer and mix on medium speed until the ingedients form a ball. If the mixture seems too dry, add a bit more of the liquid used to make it moist enough to form into balls.

I use a tablespoon cookie scoop to make the balls uniform in size. Roll the scooped dough in your hands to form a nice smooth ball. Allow cake balls to set on a parchment lined cookie sheet for a couple of hours, then dip them in chocolate(following) or roll them in confectioners' sugar or cocoa.

Melt 1 lb. of candy melts and add approximately a tablespoons of crisco to make it a bit more smooth. Also, put the container (in my case, a pyrex measuring cup) of melted candy melts in a very hot (I use amost boiling) water bath to keep the chocolate fluid. dip balls into the chocolate using a spoon and a dipping fork (in my case, a plastic fork with the two middle tines cut out) Don't worry if the dipped balls have a "foot" at the base after drying. You can break some off after they have hardened and once they are in the little cake liners, no one will notice. Also, you can decorate the tops with just about anything, sprinkles, candy confetti, chopped nuts, etc. before they dry. Or after they've dried, pipe designs with royal icing or melted candy melts of differnet colors!

Kristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kristy Posted 15 Jun 2005 , 10:05pm
post #10 of 15

check your local craft stores. I bought a set that had 8",12",&16" pans. I had a 40% coupon at A.C. Moore, and I got the set for about $14!

ang_ag82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ang_ag82 Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 5:05am
post #11 of 15

thank you very much, intresting had never heard of cake balls, but boy they sure do sound good.

drusilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drusilla Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 3:05pm
post #12 of 15

I just came from the Wilton Tent Sale in Illinois and got all the pans I could possibly want everything 50% off. Such a great event, 3 weeks every June.

Dru

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 3:06pm
post #13 of 15

I wish we had a tent sale of that sort here !!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 4:59pm
post #14 of 15

try ultimatebaker.com

They ave square pan sets also!!

aupekkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aupekkle Posted 18 Jun 2005 , 12:09am
post #15 of 15

try www.cakepans4less.com

Very cheap prices for professional grade pans.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%