What Filling Goes With A Lemon Cake?

Decorating By babygreen Updated 10 Jun 2016 , 10:40pm by annie1992

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 12:56am
post #31 of 41

I think just about any berry filling would go nice with lemon but you could also frost and fill with white chocolate frosting.
Jacqui

SweetBellina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetBellina Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 1:00am
post #32 of 41

how about whipped cream to sort of balance the tartness of the lemon cake?

kris_813 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kris_813 Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 1:01am
post #33 of 41

What about the DH orange cake mix? What would be a good filling to use with that

SweetBellina Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 1:04am
post #34 of 41

ok, what i know is there is a chocolate with orange flavor right? so, how about chocolate? or there is a recipe here for orange fillings/frosting too..just can't find them..sorry..

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 1:11am
post #35 of 41

Cream cheese frosting would go great with orange. I did a yellow cake with orange filling which was really good too.
Jacqui

SweetBellina Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 1:13am
post #36 of 41

oh yeah jacqui...cream cheese with orange sounds yummy!

steffy8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffy8 Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 2:05am
post #37 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by traci

Thanks.

Does anyone know if it can be purchased ready-made??? My friend said she got it at Kroger...but I was unable to find it there too. I must be looking in the wrong area! icon_biggrin.gif

I found it in our Krogers with the jellies not the pie fillings!!

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 2:13am
post #38 of 41

I've used lemon pie filling in lemon cake....then make my regular BC icing and substitute the liquid (milk or water) with fresh lemon juice. VERY lemonadey..............and good!

GraciesMommy214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GraciesMommy214 Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 10:55pm
post #39 of 41

I have used Rasberry place scrappers for a lemon cake. Goes very well together. I think smuckers makes it!

Vergaline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vergaline Posted 10 Jun 2016 , 5:17pm
post #40 of 41

I make a lemon cake and fill it with a strawberry buttercream. Fantastic! It even has tiny bits of tangy dried strawberry in the filling. Its called a summer lemonade cake. Everyone loves it.

annie1992 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annie1992 Posted 10 Jun 2016 , 10:40pm
post #41 of 41

I love raspberry with lemon, and my son in law likes the cream cheese frosting with lemon.  

I find lemon curd at Trader Joe's and at my local Meijer supermarket, it's in with the jam and jelly.  However, it's easy to make in the microwave and lots cheaper.  I use Meyer lemons sometimes and that's really good.  My recipe says to put in the zest, but I leave it out because my family likes the smoother texture without the zest.  My girls eat it with a spoon like pudding, very yummy.  I got the recipe from a friend on a cooking forum I frequent, her name is Colleen and she's from Australia, so thanks, Colleen!

Colleen's Microwave Lemon Butter/Curd

4oz butter (NOT margarine)

3/4 cup lemon juice (about 3 lemons' worth)

all the rind from the lemons, grated

1 cup sugar (I use superfine)

4-5 eggs, thoroughly beaten

Put butter, sugar, lemon juice and lemon rind into a micro-safe bowl. Cook on high about 3 minutes, stirring halfway through. Butter should be melted and sugar dissolved. Beat in eggs and microwave in 30-second bursts until it thickens, about 2 minutes. Whisk after each burst. Store in refrigerator to prolong the shelf life, which is short.

Makes about 3 cups, maybe less.

Sneaky notes:

If you are making a LOT of this, for gifts, etc, I peel the rind off with a peeler and drop it into the blender. Then cut off the white pith with a paring knife. Making sure there are no seeds, drop lemon flesh into blender. Whizz it up until the rind is pulverised. You should end up with about 1 cup of juice/rind mix per batch, to account for the rind and aeration. You can double or triple the recipe, just use a bigger bowl and adjust the times.

I also use the blender to whizz the eggs. If they are not totally beaten, you can get little white strings from the egg white which don't look great.

If you overcook it and it separates, beat up an extra egg. Gradually mix separated (sounds much better than curdled, doesn't it?) mixture into egg. Repeat if necessary.

This is also dairy free and gluten free, for anyone who has those issues.

Annie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%