Frozen Cake...???

Decorating By MSurina Updated 25 Jun 2007 , 8:51pm by leah_s

MSurina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MSurina Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 4:32pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a Canada Day Cake for a restaurant and it needs to be able to be frozen. Would I be able to do a Strawberry Shortcake cake and freeze it? I'm not sure what the frozen whipped cream will do after thawing out for around 10 minutes. Do you think that it might look curdled? Coming to think of it, will the strawberries turn brown, after thawing out at room temperature for 10 minutes? I imagine it will be ok, but some insurance sure would be nice.

Thanks

4 replies
mum1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mum1205 Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 5

Unfortunately, I think that both the whipped cream and the strawberries would get pretty watery after thawing. I haven't tried stabilizing whip cream, so I don't know if that would be better...HTH...

Marci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marci Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 6:18pm
post #3 of 5

I have not had a problem with freezing whipped cream. However when strawberries thaw, they realize the water that is stored in their cells. I would consider using strawberries that have already been frozen (thawing them first before using). That way they won't weep anymore.

Marci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marci Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 6:19pm
post #4 of 5

That should say... "However when strawberries thaw, they RELEASE the water that is stored in their cells."

sorry...

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 8:51pm
post #5 of 5

If you're stabilizing the whipped cream with gelatin, that won't work with freezing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%