Fondant Gerbera Daisies

Decorating By kingte1 Updated 1 Jul 2007 , 5:57pm by kingte1

kingte1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kingte1 Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 21

Here is how I made my gerbera daisies...
1. I use the large daisy cutter set from International Sugar Art Collection http://www.internationalsugarart.com/cgi-bin/store/shop.cgi
2. Thus far I have only used Wilton fondant. I generally add some additional corn starch, especially if it is colored. The fondant needs to be rolled VERY thin. Once rolled I let it sit for a few minutes to dry out
3. I make the centers, use your own judgement for the size (I am considering purchasing this center making set for a more realistic looking flower-http://globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=17043)
4. I dip the cutters in corn starch. Cut out 3 of the 2nd smallest flower. I like to use a rolling pin to really press it through. I use a stick pin to help the petals out of the cutter.
5. I use a paintbrush to dab a little water on the center of the first small flower. Lay it water side down and form the petals around the center. Do the same with the remaining small flowers changing the angle of each flower to fill it out.
6. Make two to three of the next size up. Follow the directions to paste it to the flower. Do not form these flowers, just let them lay open.
7. Follow step 6 for the remaining sizes.
8. Let the flowers dry upside down. When you turn them over it gives it a more realistic appearance.
9. I have been cutting out a circle from green fondant and manually doing a petiole. I attach them to a cake by inserting a tooth pick into the bottom of the flower just before placing it on the cake. These should dry for at least 24 hours.

If anyone else has any suggestions, please let me know. I've received a lot of compliments on these flowers, but there is always room for improvement.
LL

20 replies
laly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laly Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 4:27pm
post #2 of 21

thumbs_up.gif they are beautiful! Thank you for sharing with us this information. thumbs_up.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 4:34pm
post #3 of 21

Very pretty! Thanks for sharing that technique with us. If possible, could you show a picture of your cutters? They're not listed on the the International Sugar site.

kingte1 Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 21

I'll try to get a picture of the cutters up tonight!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 9:01pm
post #5 of 21

Thanks. I have so many different cutters that before I buy any more I'd rather see what they look like first and use something similar, if not the same, than buy another one.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 12:32am
post #6 of 21

Thank you for sharing! Those are beautiful!

have_your_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
have_your_cake Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 1:27am
post #7 of 21

I can't wait to try these

29apr00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
29apr00 Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 2:45am
post #8 of 21

Beautiful!! I'm on my 3rd set of daisy cutters, trying to find ones i like. icon_cry.gif

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 3:50am
post #9 of 21

Those are gorgeous!!! Gerberas are my most favorite flowers, and I have heard that they are hard to make out of sugar. Yours are fantastic!!! thumbs_up.gif Thanks for the tutorial!!! I can't wait to try them! icon_biggrin.gif

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 11:27pm
post #10 of 21

this is exactly what I was looking for.....two months ago icon_lol.gif

thanks so much, I'm sure I'll use this in the future!

Photomommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Photomommie Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 11:34pm
post #11 of 21

WOW!
icon_eek.gif these are great. Gerbera daisies are my favorite flower, I can't wait to try these out.
Thank you so much for sharing,

Dawn

kingte1 Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 12:12pm
post #12 of 21

I am so sorry I haven't put up the pic of the cutters. They are at my parents' house, and I'm waiting for my sister to send it. I can describe them though, they are white and look just like cookie cutters, except they are much thinner. The largest cutter is probably 3.5 to 4 inches in diameter, the smallest is about an inch. And they have a LOT of petals.

rbatia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rbatia Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 12:37pm
post #13 of 21

thanks for sharing

Newatdecorating Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newatdecorating Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 12:46pm
post #14 of 21

Has anyone ever used the daisy cutter from Sugarcraft?

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 4:52pm
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingte1

I am so sorry I haven't put up the pic of the cutters. They are at my parents' house, and I'm waiting for my sister to send it. I can describe them though, they are white and look just like cookie cutters, except they are much thinner. The largest cutter is probably 3.5 to 4 inches in diameter, the smallest is about an inch. And they have a LOT of petals.

By any chance, is this it?
LL

kingte1 Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 4:13pm
post #16 of 21

That's not, the cutters I have have many more and narrower petals. It's similar though.

jesaltuve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jesaltuve Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 4:25pm
post #17 of 21
MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 4:35pm
post #18 of 21

Those are beautiful! I've never been able to make them.

These are the cutters that I have. Yours are probably similar. SO difficult to get the petals out. They stretch or rip. Guess I need to practice more, but it gets so frustrating. Don't know what that little triangular piece is for. Any ideas?
LL

homemaluhia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homemaluhia Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 4:46pm
post #19 of 21

Beautiful daisies!! Thank you for sharing all your expertise and advise! Can't wait to put it to use!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 6:05pm
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyTex

Those are beautiful! I've never been able to make them.

These are the cutters that I have. Yours are probably similar. SO difficult to get the petals out. They stretch or rip. Guess I need to practice more, but it gets so frustrating. Don't know what that little triangular piece is for. Any ideas?

Hmm...I was thinking maybe that triangular piece was to hold the cutter while you're trying to release the fondant or gumpaste. Maybe it goes in the center of the cutter and clips on and you can use it the other way (turn it upside down) to use it for the other sizes. Just thinking out loud here.

kingte1 Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 5:57pm
post #21 of 21

Those are the cutters I use! I was just getting ready to post a picture of them finally. I have found that letting the fondant dry a little helps. I also use a stick pin to push it out. But I agree, getting them out is a huge pain, but it's worth it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%