Please Help My Cake Look Nice...

Decorating By Katie-Bug Updated 13 Aug 2006 , 6:55pm by Katie-Bug

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 1:27pm
post #1 of 25

I have a 12x18 sheet cake, iced with cream cheese frosting. I have a shell border around the cake and in the right hand side I have attached a 5x7 black and white picture, it has a tiny bead border around it. On the left hand side I have wrote "Happy Anniversary Mama and Daddy" I wrote it in cream cheese then painted it gold, it's their 50th. Well, let's just say it looks awful! I have an hour to do something with it. I can't do roses or they will be white on the cream cake! What in this world can I do? I really want this to look nice, but instead it looks like a $10.00 Bakery Student decorating for the first time cake! Please help.

24 replies
ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 1:31pm
post #2 of 25

I know you don't have alot of time, but is it possible to post a pic of it real quick? If we can see it, we can get a better idea of how to help thumbs_up.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 1:33pm
post #3 of 25

paint beads on photo gold ...to simulate gold frame....consider increasing size of all borders too so not so "lost" vs. size of cake.

and scroll work above/below photo and message?

sotas lace?

tone on tone (white on cream) can be very pretty...especially if you touch up edges of rose w/ gold.

over pipe borders w/ string work?

add more gold accents (borders)

(a photo of what you have done so far would really help.)

Katie-Bug Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 1:33pm
post #4 of 25

My camera just when to town in the vechile, hopefully it will be right back in a minute.

Katie-Bug Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 1:35pm
post #5 of 25

Okay, I have never tried the lace, but could I do that in the cream cheese, even after tha I done wrote on the cake? Maybe I will paint the picture border gold too.

Doug Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 1:44pm
post #6 of 25

yes, lace can be added even after the writing. you may want to pipe a border around writing that matches one around pic. then just fill in the vast expanse of cake w/ the sotas (as series of cursive r's and printed s's is the way I was taught -- cute squiggles is easier to remember and do)

Katie-Bug Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 1:56pm
post #7 of 25

I can't figure out how to post here so I'll add it to my photos, the second you can see where it is now cracking and getting air bubbles! Please help me?

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 2:04pm
post #8 of 25

I think the cake is beautiful and I'm sure your parents will love it. The idea of adding gold to enhance a frame-love is a good one. Other than that I wouldnt add anything - too much busy work will take away from the cake.

ge978 Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 2:04pm
post #9 of 25

Ok..I was considering something bad from your description....its not bad at all..very pretty!
I would suggest maybe an oval bead border around the writing and then cornelli lace everywhere else...it would go with the theme and cover up any cracks.

Katie-Bug Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 2:08pm
post #10 of 25

Okay, an oval border around the writing, it is larger then the picture. Is that giong to look okay? Paint the border and do lace as a filler?

LetThemEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LetThemEatCake Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 2:09pm
post #11 of 25

I think your cake is very pretty.

I would agree with making the bead border around the picture gold as well.

Otherswise, I don't think I'd do anything, you run the risk of making the cake too busy.

Don't fret, you have a beautiful cake that I'm sure your parents will love.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 2:09pm
post #12 of 25

I really like the idea of adding a little more gold to the borders, just to tie it all together.

ge978 Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 2:10pm
post #13 of 25

I would think it would look okay, but I'm not an expert at these things...
I'm bumping you up to get more opinions..

born2bake4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
born2bake4u Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 2:11pm
post #14 of 25

its too bad you didn't have an air brush you could make it look like old paper. and color the cracks a darker brown with a tan background. othere than that it actually looks pretty good. do you have other small pictures you could use of them or pictures of there lives. that might help cover them . just a suggestion.

born2bake4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
born2bake4u Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 2:13pm
post #15 of 25

besides your paretns will be touched by the fact that you made it yourself, and thats whats always important to them. don't worry

Doug Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 2:15pm
post #16 of 25

to help you visualize:

and boy do I wish my shell borders were as nice as yours!!!

can you do "dry brush" technique -- very little liquid in brush and then lightly drawn over surface? -- doing that in gold on your shells would just highlight the ridges in them...a really nice effect for the borders
LL

ChristaPaloma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristaPaloma Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 2:22pm
post #17 of 25

Love your idea Doug! It would create a perfect color balance and maybe do the beads around the picture frame the same way...ties it all together in about 3 minutes flat!

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 2:22pm
post #18 of 25

i just wanted to tell you that your cake is pretty, i do see what you mean about adding a little something else--good luck with what you have decided since i'm late to this post & i feel sure you've done something by now--ALSO YOUR BORDER IS AMAZING & TO KNOW YOU DID IT WITH CREAM CHEESE FROSTING thumbs_up.gif ---WOW icon_biggrin.gif

faithsfancifuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
faithsfancifuls Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 2:32pm
post #19 of 25

I think Doug's idea is fabulous! Please post the finnished cake! Good luck!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 3:32pm
post #20 of 25

I'd go with Doug's GREAT idea with the lace, and I think it is cracking because you don't have enough support under it..... I"m guessing you are just using a cardboard cake board.... use a foam board, or tray or something more sturdy........ ( been there, done that ).... Other than that, it is BEAUTIFUL !!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 3:39pm
post #21 of 25

Hey, that shell border is nice! What tip did you use for it?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

sdfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdfisher Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 3:49pm
post #22 of 25

Do you have any of the gold dust? I don't really know what it is called, it is super fine...like powder. I dip a small, soft DRY flat paint brush in it...tap it off REALLY well and then very lightly run it across the top of your borders, I also use this to tip my roses and leaves...it's very pretty. Just make sure you tap the brush really well otherwise you can get speckles. The end result is so worth the effort.

Katie-Bug Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 6:46pm
post #23 of 25

Well guys I have it up! The finished cake. I was able to doctor it and it only took about 5 minutes. First try at lace, so keep that in mind. It actually wasn't for my parents, if it had been I wouldn't have been worried about it. They're used to eating the mess ups. It' s actually for a freind of my mothers, her parents are celebrating their 50th.
Thank you guys so much! I was panicing this morning. Thank you, Katie icon_biggrin.gif

Doug Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 6:49pm
post #24 of 25

YDG! RG! icon_biggrin.gif

and all the frettin' for nuttin'

Katie-Bug Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 6:55pm
post #25 of 25

Oh, I forgot! Thanks for the compliants on the shells. I took me forever to learn to do a shell. Everyone kept telling me how easy they were and finally after about a year of trying I got it! I think I used a 18 or 20, the tip is from Bakery Crafts. I love there tips and the bags are wonderful! Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%