I Felt Sooo Bad For This Couple-

Decorating By justfrosting Updated 6 Jul 2007 , 4:22pm by LittleLinda

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 1:04pm
post #1 of 37

I was at our local grocery store yesterday getting donuts--an elderly couple came in to pick up their cake. It was a very large, double layered sheet cake, decorated in BC and it said "Happy 50th Anniversary". It was so heavy and the gentleman looked a little shaky.

I was a half a second away from offering to carry it to their car when he picked it up.

IT WAS A DONUT BOX! The sides folded and it slipped out of his hands. So sad. The lady at the counter just shrugged and walked away.

His wife just looked at him and smiled. I hope after 50 years of marriage, I will find something like this funny.

36 replies
cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 1:20pm
post #2 of 37

Ohhhhh ... that just makes me want to cry!!!! icon_cry.gif I hate seeing and hearing about things like that. I am appalled that the lady at the counter just shrugged and walked away ... how could she do that?!?!?! icon_cry.gifthumbsdown.giftapedshut.gificon_mad.gificon_eek.gif That's terrible! icon_sad.gif It was nice of you to want to help ... I would have done the same thing. thumbs_up.gif

mizshelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizshelli Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 11:32pm
post #3 of 37

I honestly think that this is the problem with today's society. People just don't give a &^%$ about their neighbor. What that lady did is not against man law, but she will have to answer to God for it one day. I think I may have given her a piece of my mind right there and then (that darn Irish temper).

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 2:05am
post #4 of 37

Awww that is horrible! Was the cake messed up? I would have been tempted to pull out a business card and offer to take the cake home and fix it up for them.

Poor old guy. icon_sad.gif

rbatia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rbatia Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 4:33am
post #5 of 37

i feel very sorry for them

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 2:16pm
post #6 of 37

This makes me mad (and it takes a lot to do that!). To most couples, a 50th anniversary is just as special as their wedding day. And many times, they did not have a cake at their wedding which makes the 50th cake even more important/special.

You are a kind person to see that he would need help. Could you report the bakery woman (here in the south, she is NOT a lady or she would have offered to help!) to the store management? That cake should never have been in a donut box. Since the man was obviously frail, she should have gotten a stock boy or grocery boy or any store employee to help if she could not leave the bakery.

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 2:38pm
post #7 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by yh9080

This makes me mad (and it takes a lot to do that!). To most couples, a 50th anniversary is just as special as their wedding day. And many times, they did not have a cake at their wedding which makes the 50th cake even more important/special.

You are a kind person to see that he would need help. Could you report the bakery woman (here in the south, she is NOT a lady or she would have offered to help!) to the store management? That cake should never have been in a donut box. Since the man was obviously frail, she should have gotten a stock boy or grocery boy or any store employee to help if she could not leave the bakery.

Absolutely-this is unthinkable, it makes me so mad I could spit... icon_mad.gif I think you should go BACK to the store and talk to the manager. They will have the couple's information from the cake order-this needs to be made right.
JMHO...

SarahsSweets2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahsSweets2006 Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 6:50pm
post #8 of 37

Wow, I just feel so bad after hearing that...

I can tell you one thing, with an attitude like the lady at the counter has, she will NEVER make it to a 50th anniversary. I bet if the counter lady's husband dropped a cake, she would make a scene and yell and piss and moan. It's kind of cute that the man's wife just smiled at him. I mean, it IS just a cake... the anniversary is the most important thingicon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 8:09pm
post #9 of 37

That is really cute isn't it...guess its how they made it 50 years.

tashaluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tashaluna Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 12:37am
post #10 of 37

omg I hope My husband reacts like that at fifty years icon_lol.gif

fosterscreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fosterscreations Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 5:25am
post #11 of 37

OMG I have tears streaming now. I would have got their information and went home and baked them a new cake right then and there and delivered it to them.
What a sweet couple.

Kitagrl Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 12:35pm
post #12 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterscreations

OMG I have tears streaming now. I would have got their information and went home and baked them a new cake right then and there and delivered it to them.
What a sweet couple.

Me too! I can't imagine if it was my grandma or something standing there and some snotty younger person shrugging them off like they were a nuisance. GRR!

redred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redred Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 9:39am
post #13 of 37

This makes me so sad. 50 years is an incredible achievement. I feel the same as fosterscreations, I would have made them an even better cake, for nothing. The couple are probably too nice to kick up a stink; if they had complained they might have gotten another cake, but it makes me mad that nice people sometimes get taken advantage of.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 11:42am
post #14 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterscreations

What a sweet couple.

Me three!

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 11:41pm
post #15 of 37

I can't imagine the rudeness of that woman! I'd make a call and let the store manager know what you witnessed! There is NO excuse for that kind of "service"

Yep, I'd have been right there in line turning on my oven too.. I have such a soft spot for grammas and granpappys

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 11:52pm
post #16 of 37

That is so sad. You would have thought she would have offered to carry it or find someone to carry it at least.

heavenscent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenscent Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 5:04am
post #17 of 37

What a sweet couple

Me four what an incredable achivement. I was so proud that we celebrated our 5 year anniversary without us serving jail time lol. I can only hope that we will blessed to see 50 years. I would go & compalin to managment for sure. See what you can do at the very least get a refund for them. icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 5:13am
post #18 of 37

it is a very sad story,and i would have wanted to do the same as all of you, slap that woman and bake them a new cake. But perhaps we can all learn from this, how many of us would have yelled at our husbands or had a few unchoice words to say. i hope i will be as gracious as this sweet old lady was. My heart always warms when i see old couples walking hand in hand, i just want to hug them.

MahalKita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MahalKita Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 5:24am
post #19 of 37

"His wife just looked at him and smiled."

That gave me goose bumps. I hope after 50 years I will be able to shrug off something like that. I have only been married for 8 years, I have a feeling if my hubby did that now I would flip out.icon_redface.gif With age comes wisdom (usuallyicon_confused.gif).

princess.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 5:43pm
post #20 of 37

Well, I've been married over 30 years and can tell you that YES, you do calm down after a while.
It takes quite a bit to make me go off the handle nowadays...Image That has not always been the case, however...Image

Yorkiemum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yorkiemum Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 6:08pm
post #21 of 37

I agree, I would call the store manager. They need to give them another cake. I hope they didn't pay for the cake. The store would have their contact number and could replace. I always hope that what comes around, goes around. Especially in this situation. icon_sad.gif

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 7:00pm
post #22 of 37

I can't believe this - my grocery store bakery actually wheels large cakes out to your car for you and they are always in sturdy boxes! I can't believe the employee would not help them. If you do report it to the manager, please let us know what happens.

deb

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 10:21pm
post #23 of 37

It is so sad that the lady didn't offer to help and just left them with a ruined cake. It is very hard for me to see elderly people who want to "try" or "do" something and things go wrong. I am one of those that would have ran up and helped pick up the mess and offered to try to make a new cake--for free.

LittleLinda Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 12:07am
post #24 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdgirl

I am one of those that would have ran up and helped pick up the mess and offered to try to make a new cake--for free.

Let the clerk pick up the mess!

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 4:16pm
post #25 of 37

I should clarify--I would help them pick it up and accidently "drop" it all over the bakery counter. icon_twisted.gif

LittleLinda Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 11:26pm
post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdgirl

I should clarify--I would help them pick it up and accidently "drop" it all over the bakery counter. icon_twisted.gif

Ya, there you go! That's better.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 11:50pm
post #27 of 37

That's so terrible! What happened? Did you talk to a manager... did they get another cake? I'm so bummed after reading that!

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 9:44pm
post #28 of 37

Did you ever go and speak to the manager? That is so awful.

I've been married 16 years. When stuff like that happens now, hubby and I look at each other and crack up...after all, what else are you gonna do?!?!

The couple may very well have called and complained. I know I certainly would have.

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 9:58pm
post #29 of 37

wow, I feel bad for them icon_sad.gif 50th anniversary is a big accomplishment!

How big was the cake? I hope they got a new one but am glad they took it lightly.

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 10:04pm
post #30 of 37

This where I would:
A. Fuss not so lightly at the bakery clerk
B. Offer to help carry out the cake and give them a business card with my writing on back for a free cake with me when ever I am available!
C.Go back in to store and loudly explain to the manager what customer service is and would he please inform his employees.
D. to heck with those dough nuts clerk your wearing them!!!!!
E. Pray to God for forgiveness for being not so Christian to the clerk!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%