I Thought I'd Post A Tutorial On Making Good Scratch Cake...

Decorating By LaSombra Updated 13 Jun 2008 , 11:50pm by MichelleM77

oilili Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oilili Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 3:31pm
post #61 of 89

Lasombra, thank you so much for all this.

I am a scratch baker and I always add my whipped whites in the end.
What I didn't know is that I was over mixing the batter once all the ingredients were in!! Now I think I know why my cake sometimes are so "compact".

We learn at least one new thing everyday!!

Perhaps you can help me out with this one: sometimes my cake over rises at the top (like a mountain) and then it will totally "go down" or even sink a little in the middle a few minutes after I take it out from the oven.

Why is this?? icon_sad.gif

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 3:44pm
post #62 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilili

Lasombra, thank you so much for all this.

I am a scratch baker and I always add my whipped whites in the end.
What I didn't know is that I was over mixing the batter once all the ingredients were in!! Now I think I know why my cake sometimes are so "compact".

We learn at least one new thing everyday!!

Perhaps you can help me out with this one: sometimes my cake over rises at the top (like a mountain) and then it will totally "go down" or even sink a little in the middle a few minutes after I take it out from the oven.

Why is this?? icon_sad.gif

oilili,

That might be because it rose too fast. You might be cooking it too hot or maybe putting too much levening in...

I've heard people rave about "cake strips" too, which are basically strips of fabric that you get wet and wrap around the outside of the cake pan. They're a Wilton product. I don't know if that's what they're for exactly. Maybe someone else who uses them might be able to pipe in.

oilili Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 4:04pm
post #63 of 89

Thanks!!

Yeah, i've heard of these strips too but I thought they were aluminium.

i've also heard that some people place a flower nail in the middle of the pan to make it rise evenly!

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 5:21pm
post #64 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilili

Thanks!!

Yeah, i've heard of these strips too but I thought they were aluminium.

i've also heard that some people place a flower nail in the middle of the pan to make it rise evenly!

yes, I use a flower nail on larger cakes. For the smaller ones, I don't bother though, just if they're 10" or more.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 5:29pm
post #65 of 89

The baking strips are thick terrycloth sandwiched between teflon(I'm thinking that's the name of that stuff)...basically the same stuff of which those silver ironing board covers are made.

all4cake Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 5:39pm
post #66 of 89

I found a recipe yesterday(I've been on a mad hunt for "just the right" lemon cake. It was for a bundt cake...ooooooookay. I wanted to see how it would bake in a 8" and 6" round. Ah, man, it was lookin' soooooo good in the oven...nicely golden...did the "spring back" check on it....pulled it out....

I let them cool. They were completely done...they were delicious. but...if anyone has made a 7-up cake...you know that dome of crust that forms like 2 friggin' inches above where the actual cake is!???! That is what these did. I went to remove them from the pan, and it was like they were sayin', "PSYCHED YA MIND!" Oh, yeah, they looked good...but they weren't near as high as they made out to be...

What causes that?

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 5:57pm
post #67 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

I found a recipe yesterday(I've been on a mad hunt for "just the right" lemon cake. It was for a bundt cake...ooooooookay. I wanted to see how it would bake in a 8" and 6" round. Ah, man, it was lookin' soooooo good in the oven...nicely golden...did the "spring back" check on it....pulled it out....

I let them cool. They were completely done...they were delicious. but...if anyone has made a 7-up cake...you know that dome of crust that forms like 2 friggin' inches above where the actual cake is!???! That is what these did. I went to remove them from the pan, and it was like they were sayin', "PSYCHED YA MIND!" Oh, yeah, they looked good...but they weren't near as high as they made out to be...

What causes that?

[i I was thrilled when I saw your post.. I am in need of a good scratch lemon cake... aside from the height, the recipe was delicious though... Would you share....... pleeeaazzzze icon_wink.gificon_smile.gif
I will be happy to try the recipe and send back the results I get... maybe we can figure out why it happened....[/i]

murf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
murf Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 6:15pm
post #68 of 89

Hi all,
I'm a totally scratch baker and have recently been experimenting with new recipes etc. I did a cake for a regular customer last week and tried a new recipe which used egg whites instead of whole eggs. The customer said that it tasted much richer than the whole egg one which surprised me! Another great tip I've found is that if you are making a chocolate sponge cake, instead of just using cocoa powder and/or melted chocolate, add a cup of hot coffee to it and it makes it taste sooooooo chocolatey!!Don't ask me why!

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 6:32pm
post #69 of 89

I love mixing chocolate and coffee. The coffee just has a great way of emphasizing the chocolate taste. You can also use instant espresso and turn it into a paste and use that in cakes as well... It is so yummy!

all4cake Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 4:57am
post #70 of 89

CakesByLJ

This is the one I tried...

http://southernfood.about.com/od/lemoncakes/r/bl1102f.htm

sorry it took so long....I had cropped it before printing so the pertinent info wasn't there and my color cartridge is looooooooow so the info that would've been so helpful was just about wiped out....I was going to type it and send it to you then CC wouldn't come back up for me. By the time it did, I had sought a high powered light source to ...anyway...see what you can do with it. Let me know.

I want to try this one maybe Tuesday next week....

http://southernfood.about.com/od/lemoncakes/r/r70502d.htm

doesn't it just say "pucker"? mmmmmmmmmm.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 7:10am
post #71 of 89

LaSombra, what's your take on melting the butter and adding it with the liquids instead of creaming it with sugar. i think i've read at least a couple of people who do that instead of creaming.

and when you cream the butter, do you beat it first without the sugar until it's fluffy? i could never get this right icon_sad.gif

CakesByLJ Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 2:21pm
post #72 of 89

Thanks all4cake... I am going to try it, and will let you know the results.. I am thinking it appears to be more of a pound cake recipe. I want a lighter texture, and found a couple of recipes on that site I think are worth trying too.. Off to the kitchen I go...... LOL

QueenBee1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenBee1 Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 2:21pm
post #73 of 89

All4cake, I thought it was just me.

I have been making a 7-Up cake for a local restaurant over the past couple of weeks and have had the same problem with the crust rising higher than the actual cake. I have made about 10 of these so far, and it has been pretty much the same each time. It is so frustrating, because I got the recipe from the recent issue of Taste of the South magazine, and of course, their cake is picture perfect. One thing I did differently on the last four cakes was to stop using the cake release to prepare the bundt pan. Instead, I started using Baker's Joy (the oil & flour spray) like the recipe suggested. It seemed to reduce the problem somewhat. It even appears that the cake itself rises a bit higher than before. Once I flip it out of the pan, it looks great.

Hope this helps!

all4cake Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 2:37pm
post #74 of 89

QueenBee1, I've tried various 7-up recipes with the same results. I've tried greasing and flouring the pan(tried different pans too), and bake easy with the same results.....I absolutely HATE the sprays with the flour in it no matter how well they work....nary a one has sprayed cleanly without a clog(I really hate cussin' those cans just provoke me though).

I've just decided to think of that crusting thing as my treat for baking the cake....that stuff is gooooooood!

oilili Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 9:27am
post #75 of 89

All4cake, can I ask if you used yellow or green lemon for your lemon cake recipe?

all4cake Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 3:05pm
post #76 of 89

Yellow. What's a green lemon?

stsapph Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 3:21pm
post #77 of 89

I'd assume a lime, but I could be wrong

all4cake Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 3:30pm
post #78 of 89

hi stsapph

Savannah woman here too

okay, so I'm in NC now....but born and raised in Savannah

stsapph Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 4:05pm
post #79 of 89

Hey, I lived in NC for a while myself, in Greensboro. It is good to be home though!

all4cake Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 4:09pm
post #80 of 89

I go home once in a while...

I think it would be easier to accept the changes had I been there to adapt with it...

oilili Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 4:10pm
post #81 of 89

Oh, sorry. I forgot you guys call a "green lemon" a lime.

Did you know that Brazilian oranges are actually green??!! They are nicely sweet and juicy!!

stsapph Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 4:16pm
post #82 of 89

Those oranges sound yummy!

Yeah I know the feeling. When I was going back and forth from NC to GA it always amazed me how quick things were changing. Now that I'm back, it doesn't seem to be changing so fast, but I'm also in the middle now.

all4cake Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 4:23pm
post #83 of 89

oilili, I imagine, this recipe would be good using any type of citrus for the lemon...I did add a bit extra lemon zest as well as a smidge of orange. I am looking for zing...wow...pucker power...mmm mmm mmm MMMMMMMMMMM...something to make my eyes cross ...but not really....something really lemony.

I was disappointed by the lack of color. I should've added some yellow to the batter...that may have added to the experience.

CakesByLJ Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 2:19pm
post #84 of 89
Quote:

CakesByLJ

This is the one I tried...

http://southernfood.about.com/od/lemoncakes/r/bl1102f.htm

...anyway...see what you can do with it. Let me know.

just an update.. I have only had time to try one (been sick icon_sad.gif ) but wanted to report that I really loved it.. I did not try the icing, but will later.... here it is:
http://www.recipezaar.com/47406

all4cake Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 7:45pm
post #85 of 89

Is it really lemony? Does it bake up nice and evenly?

CakesByLJ Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 12:09am
post #86 of 89
Quote:

Is it really lemony? Does it bake up nice and evenly?

The ginger is a very nice addition to this cake, and it is not overly lemony. The part I hate about mixes are the artificial flavor they have, and this one has a wonderful aroma, and baked up beautifully. I filled 3) 6" square pans and they baked right to the top, very even, no hump... I froze two of them and we ate one. I plan to fill them with a lemon curd mousse and vanilla buttercream for a cake next weekend.
I do plan to bake the recipe you sent this week sometime and will report my finding on it......

oilili Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 11:03am
post #87 of 89

Quick word to say a BIG thank you to Lasombra.

I made my moist chocolate cake once again this weekend and it turned out better than never, thanks to your instructions!!! thumbs_up.gif

I beat my sugar + butter for a long long time, then beat well again after adding each egg. I beat my batter a lot less than in the past and, as usual, added whipped egg whites in the end, mixing slowly with a wooden spoon.

THANK YOU, it was a huge success!!! icon_biggrin.gif

donnalea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnalea Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 9:54pm
post #88 of 89

tHANKS FOR THE INFO!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 11:50pm
post #89 of 89

I wanted to add that I just started baking from scratch (I used to doctor DH cakes with the extender recipe) and could totally taste a difference! I surprised myself, because I really didn't think I would be able to tell the difference, that I would just be using "baked from scratch" for marketing purposes....but it was soooo good! No more boxes for me! So far I just have a chocolate and butter yellow, but that's a good start. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%