I Thought I'd Post A Tutorial On Making Good Scratch Cake...

Decorating By LaSombra Updated 13 Jun 2008 , 11:50pm by MichelleM77

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 6:04am
post #31 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes-r-us

When mixing ( I have a kitchenaid) you mix on medium is that between 4-6? Do you mix 2 minutes minimum when doing scratch cake, or just until incorporated? If the recipe doesn't say how long to mix, what is the rule, just wondering. I usually mix 2 minutes. I think that is the problem when I do a carrot cake, it always sink, is this one of the cakes that should only be mixed until ingredients incorporated. I've spent lots of money trying to make a carrot cake from scratch that don't sink. Maybe i'm overmixing. Does anyone have a caramel cake recipe? Very helpful tutorial by the way.

The way I do it when mixing in flour is that I mix it after each addition just until the dry ingredients have disappeared, then add the liquid slowly while it's still going, stop and add more dry, etc. When the last dry is in, I mix just until dry are gone, scrape the sides with a spatula and then turn back on for maybe 30 seconds...probably less. There is no reason to mix longer. The only thing mixing longer will do is strengthen the gluten and cause a tougher, possibly sunken cake. I like to do the dry/liquid step on setting 1 or 2. When I take the bowl off the mixer, I do get out the spatula and scrape the bottom of the bowl one last time and make sure it's all smooth but don't sit and stir it or anything.

I'd also like to add about some cakes needing the whipped egg whites at the end, such as white or yellow cakes. You should just add about 1/3 of the whipped whites and set on the first setting (stir) until they're encorporated (this lightens up the batter so the rest will mix in easier). Then take it off the mixer, add another 1/3 of the batter and fold in by hand just until most of the streaks are gone, then add the final 1/3 and fold in by hand. With these recipes, it's especially important that you pan and bake them right away because they lose volume much faster than unwhipped whites.

purplebutterfly1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
purplebutterfly1234 Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 12:21pm
post #32 of 89

Thanks for all the great tips I never would have thought of! What a Pro! =)

celosita002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
celosita002 Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 12:55pm
post #33 of 89

thumbs_up.gif Great tutorial! I grew up on boxed cakes, so I've never tried to do a scratch cake. I did a doctored box cake before, but never scratch. Been scared since I didn't really know the correct steps. Now I think I'll have to try it!

Thanks for taking the time to post this!

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 6:32pm
post #34 of 89

Thank-You! I've was going to post a question about mixing. So here's another question- when folding in egg whites, how long should it take?

Gee I can't spell!

LaSombra Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 7:05pm
post #35 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabear

Thank-You! I've was going to post a question about mixing. So here's another question- when folding in egg whites, how long should it take?

Gee I can't spell!

not very long. You do it by hand because whipped egg whites are fragile. It really just takes a couple minutes to do it. Do it in stages, not all at once. What you do is grab some batter from the side of the bowl with your spatula and flip it over onto the middle where the egg whites are, turn the bowl a 1/4 turn, do it again...several times until it's pretty smooth, still a little streaky but not so much that there would be chunks of egg whites in the batter.

daranaco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daranaco Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 7:15pm
post #36 of 89

One thing I have found myself doing when making white/yellow scratch cakes is expecting it to look like a boxed cake when it's ready. It may not necessary turn golden brown. Definitely test with a toothpick early and often. For me that has been the biggest culprit on making dry cakes.

Also, what about having the ingredients at room tempterature? I usually do that but it wasn't mentioned in the tutorial.

LaSombra Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 7:25pm
post #37 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by daranaco

One thing I have found myself doing when making white/yellow scratch cakes is expecting it to look like a boxed cake when it's ready. It may not necessary turn golden brown. Definitely test with a toothpick early and often. For me that has been the biggest culprit on making dry cakes.

Also, what about having the ingredients at room tempterature? I usually do that but it wasn't mentioned in the tutorial.

Yeah, I didn't think to put that in...I usually don't bother bringing things to room temp though (besides the butter) and they seem to turn out fine. I wonder what the advantage is with that...well, the eggs, of course, they would whip up better but I don't know about the liquids...

dabear Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 9:24pm
post #38 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaSombra

Quote:

Gee I can't spell!

not very long. You do it by hand because whipped egg whites are fragile. It really just takes a couple minutes to do it. Do it in stages, not all at once. What you do is grab some batter from the side of the bowl with your spatula and flip it over onto the middle where the egg whites are, turn the bowl a 1/4 turn, do it again...several times until it's pretty smooth, still a little streaky but not so much that there would be chunks of egg whites in the batter.

\\

Thank-You!

2sweetcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sweetcookies Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 12:28am
post #39 of 89

Do you find that using the whipped egg whites make for a moister cake? It's an extra step but I'm sure so worth it if the results are much better.

karapags Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karapags Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 12:44am
post #40 of 89

Going to try it. Thanks!

MandysCakeandCandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandysCakeandCandy Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 12:48am
post #41 of 89

Anyone want to give there best scratch recipe up? I could use one.

marecip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marecip Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 3:16am
post #42 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandysCakeandCandy

Anyone want to give there best scratch recipe up? I could use one.

Just a week or so ago there was a thread started on sharing scratch recipes.
Check it out.

Torte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torte Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 3:25am
post #43 of 89

Great idea's, they will be very useful, thanks.

MrsAB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAB Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 2:23pm
post #44 of 89

Thanks for posting!

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 4:42pm
post #45 of 89
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daranaco

Yeah, I didn't think to put that in...I usually don't bother bringing things to room temp though (besides the butter) and they seem to turn out fine. I wonder what the advantage is with that...well, the eggs, of course, they would whip up better but I don't know about the liquids...

Sarah Phillips at www.baking911.com says she thinks the room temp ingredients came from a time when people used those beaters that you cranked by hand (not electric), and that with the advent of electric mixers she finds this step no longer neccessary. I believe she did an experiment where she had ingredients cold for one cake and room temp for another and found no advantage to having them room temp.

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 4:53pm
post #46 of 89

I want to start baking from scratch. I've done a few this year, but in the past I've only done Carrot and Italian Cream from scratch. With those, because they are usually so moist, and also my chocolate cakes that I put choc chips in that leave streaks of choc on the toothpick, it's hard to know when it is really "done." Toothpick method doesn't always give a good indication of doneness. Is there a better way for these types of cakes? Lately I tend to take them out of the oven when they begin to pull away from the pan. But is this over done?

And one thing I do to warm my cold eggs is to put them in warm water (while still in the shell, of course! icon_biggrin.gif ) Somwhere I read the reason why room temp eggs are better, but I can't remember what it is.

LaSombra Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 4:53pm
post #47 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sweetcookies

Do you find that using the whipped egg whites make for a moister cake? It's an extra step but I'm sure so worth it if the results are much better.

I don't know if it makes it moister but it makes a much higher, lighter cake...

LaSombra Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 5:16pm
post #48 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyTex

I want to start baking from scratch. I've done a few this year, but in the past I've only done Carrot and Italian Cream from scratch. With those, because they are usually so moist, and also my chocolate cakes that I put choc chips in that leave streaks of choc on the toothpick, it's hard to know when it is really "done." Toothpick method doesn't always give a good indication of doneness. Is there a better way for these types of cakes? Lately I tend to take them out of the oven when they begin to pull away from the pan. But is this over done?

And one thing I do to warm my cold eggs is to put them in warm water (while still in the shell, of course! icon_biggrin.gif ) Somwhere I read the reason why room temp eggs are better, but I can't remember what it is.

I hardly ever use a cake tester anymore. I always feel the top of the cake and if it feels like an overstuffed pillow, it's done icon_smile.gif When the sides start pulling away, it's done...but too done when it's really apparent. I've also heard that you can listen for a cake's doneness. I read it on here not too long ago, actually. I guess when it stops crackling or something?

Room temp eggs are better because they will whip up higher and lighter, which will do the same for your overall cake.

LaSombra Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 6:14am
post #49 of 89

Just wondering...has anyone tried scratch baking yet and how did it turn out for you??

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 6:58am
post #50 of 89
Quote:

In my (long!) experience, you are fine doing either all cold, or all room temp, but if you try to mix the two, i.e. soft butter and cold eggs, it can cause the mixture to split and your cake will not rise as much as if this didn't occur. Hope that helps!

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 7:21am
post #51 of 89
Quote:

I've also heard that you can listen for a cake's doneness. I read it on here not too long ago, actually. I guess when it stops crackling or something?

Exactly. When you lightly touch the top, when it is not quite done, it will spring back mostly, but it will crackle. When it is done, it doesn't make any noise, it just springs back nicely.

Hint: When baking a cake with full-sized chocolate chips, be mindful of where you do the touch test. Right on top of a melty hot chip is NOT a good idea. (I know this from personal experience.)

dabear Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 5:27pm
post #52 of 89
Quote:

Just wondering...has anyone tried scratch baking yet and how did it turn out for you??

Yes I have tried your method and I like it. In fact I am really starting to taste a difference in scratch veres boxes. Never thought I would notice the difference. Homemade cakes taste soooooo much better! But I still mess around with both-depends on my budget, time and what I am trying to accomplish! Thank-you so much for taking the time to post your helpful information! thumbs_up.gif

LaSombra Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 5:35pm
post #53 of 89
Quote:

Quote:

Yes I have tried your method and I like it. In fact I am really starting to taste a difference in scratch veres boxes. Never thought I would notice the difference. Homemade cakes taste soooooo much better! But I still mess around with both-depends on my budget, time and what I am trying to accomplish! Thank-you so much for taking the time to post your helpful information! thumbs_up.gif

yay! icon_biggrin.gif Glad I could help. thumbs_up.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 12:41pm
post #54 of 89

hoping to revive this thread... or at least watch it icon_smile.gif

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 1:11pm
post #55 of 89

Hey... I wonder why posting to this one works? I'm glad it isn't lost. It is full of information!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 1:20pm
post #56 of 89

the last post was in sep 2007 so it was saved icon_smile.gif

okay...

i have heard about people melting the butter and adding it in with the liquids INSTEAD of creaming it with the sugar. i was wondering what you guys think of that? I wanna try it BUT am scared it's a myth or whatever.

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 1:41pm
post #57 of 89

A couple of observations and a question:

I grew up with a Sunbeam mixer, and really noticed I was over-beating cakes when I first started using a Kitchen Aid. Kitchen Aid's manual suggests cutting mixing time in half for some recipes.

I have a 1931 cookbook, which gives you some good ideas on what to expect in cakes, based in the ingredients. I've actually found it to be pretty accurate! For example, buttermilk "gives an unusual tenderness to the cake." Water makes a looser crumb. Butter makes a richer taste, but vegetable shortening keeps cakes fresher. They also recommend beating the whites separately.

I hope someone might help me with my question: I do love scratch baking, but notice cakes aren't quite as "fresh" in a day or two. I am concerned mostly with my wedding cakes: I wish I could give my customers a just-baked taste, but with a cake 2 days old.

I have found sour cream helps keep scratch cakes longer, but wondered if there were other hints...Do any scratch bakers have suggestions on this? Thank you!

Lisa07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa07 Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 2:05pm
post #58 of 89

Thanks for posting this. I usually make duncan hines box cakes-and they turn out really well but I have wanted to try making one from scratch-now I have some direction.

DaisyLisa17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaisyLisa17 Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 2:16pm
post #59 of 89

Thanks for reviving this old thread!! I have learned so much... cant wait to try a scratch cake!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 3:09pm
post #60 of 89

no problem icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%