Royal Icing Questions

Baking By Frohdi Updated 16 Aug 2006 , 9:08am by SScakes

Frohdi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frohdi Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 9:00pm
post #1 of 27

I have been trying to teach myself how to decorate sugar cookies like you wonderful cookie makers icon_biggrin.gif but I seem to be having some issues, lol

The no fail cookies I have mastered .. I make them about 1/4 inch thick, they cook up great and are sturdy enough for me to decorate.

I have tried three icings:

Alice's Cookie Icing

Royal Icing for Decorated Cookies (antonias icing )

Toba Garrets Glace

I have read the the tutorial on this site as well as other sites. I am having issues with the outline/flow part of decorating. How thick do you make your outline? how thin is your fill in flow? how thick is the icing on top of your cookie?

I also have some problems with the fill icing flowing over the outline and over the side of the cookie .. if i dont put a lot of icing, it dries weird, some parts of the icing are more translucent..

Also, in the tutorial on this site, it refers to the advanced technique of-

Quote:
Quote:

The cookie on the left was outlined and filled. The cookie on the right was filled in a single step with the exact same consistency of thinned icing. Do not outline with the stiff icing, go directly to the thinned icing consistency as described below. It saves hours of work on large batches and often looks cleaner and more professional.

- I cant get this to work either .. the thinner icing just slides right off the side of the cookies icon_cry.gif

I outline with a pastry bag and a 3# tip .. to fill, I have been using bottles becasue i tried a pastry bag and the icing came out of the tip nonstop..

Perhaps these are basic questions, but I really need some help!

Thanks !

26 replies
bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 27

Hi Frohdi,

Welcome to CC!

It sounds like your icing is too thin. I always use the royal icing recipe that Antonia posted. I don't always outline, but when I do, I use the "10-count" rule (10 counts until the icing drizzled into bowl with a spoon "melts" back into the bowl). For filling in (flooding) I use about a "5-count" consistency.

I hope that helps!

cowdex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowdex Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 27

Ok, I use Antonioa's icing - she says when a ribbon of icing dissappears back into itself in 10 seconds you are ready. I find that I put at least 1/2c of water thinning it. But I do it 2 Tablespoons at a time from the begining. That is about where my icing is.
I started out outlining and then stopped - it made it harder. Now I start of the outside of the cookie and work my way in and then with a disposable icing bag with a hole (smalled than a pencil) I just fill in - I use the tip bag end to help smooth. The icing does most of the work. I'd guess the icing is 1/6 to 1/8 thick. But you will only know that when you break (bite) the cookie.

Frohdi Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 10:00pm
post #4 of 27

hmm, so my thinner icing might be too thin? I am going to try again tonight I think.

I also noticed in teh gallery that some cookies are clearly outlined and then the center filled part sort of pillows up .. like a little dome ...

if i skip the outlining part .. the basic idea is that i take the thinned icing, draw the outline and fill right away?

cowdex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowdex Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 10:12pm
post #5 of 27

You've got it - but I use my 10 count icing to do it all.

Frohdi Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 10:10pm
post #6 of 27

I have success! icon_biggrin.gif

I managed to make the icing and flood my cookies appropriately .. I am letting them set so I can try my hand with writing on them. What size tip do you use to write on the cookies?

Also, when I did the flooding, I used a plastic bottle that I got from walmart .. but the icing seeped out, I guess from the pressure of my squeezing, around the rim ..

I want to try the bottle that you can attach the metal tips to, but are they sturdier? Are they worth it?

Thanks!

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 10:46pm
post #7 of 27

Hi Frohdi, great to hear you are having success with the icing. I know it took me a while to get the hang of the consistency but when you get it, it works like a charm. I use the bottles from Michael's and I like to use the large size because it is easier to fill them (don't need a funnel) and it holds more. For more intricate piping like outlining on the top of the flooded area or for writing I use a #1 tip. Hope this helps and welcome to CC and your new addiciton!

Frohdi Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 11:14pm
post #8 of 27

what consistency do you use to write with? the outline consistency or the 10 count flood consistency?

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 11:19pm
post #9 of 27

Sorry to sound vague but it is somewhere between the outline and the flooding. You don't want it too stiff or you will have a hard time making smooth writing and you don't want it to loose either. For my experience it has been trial and error because there are so many variables in cake/cookie decorating such as humidity, how hot or cold your kitchen is, the products you use, etc. For writing try to get something inbetween the outline and the flood probably closer to the flood icing. Hope this helps! Best of luck thumbs_up.gif

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 11:23pm
post #10 of 27

I just worked with colorflow icing last night, I don't know if it's the same exact icing you're using, but my instuctor gave a great tip on using the parchment bags. Fold the tip up before filling with icing, then when ready, unfold and squeeze where you want it. Obviously when done, fold back up.

Don't give up on parchment. thumbs_up.gif

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 11:33pm
post #11 of 27

I do the 10 count for the outline and the filling too. I use the my icing tip to help push around the royal icing, and then shake the cookie a little to get it flat.

Frohdi Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 1:58am
post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbakin

I do the 10 count for the outline and the filling too. I use the my icing tip to help push around the royal icing, and then shake the cookie a little to get it flat.

this is exactly what I did, I think it might have still been a little thick, but it worked .. i added powdered sugar to the thinned icing and I was able to write and decocorate with it .. My next attempt should go smoother

Thanks everyone for all your help!

tayesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tayesmama Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 7:30am
post #13 of 27

Good luck on your next try and be sure to post pictures! We'd all love to see how they turn out! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

manatee19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manatee19 Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 4:36pm
post #14 of 27

Hey Frohdi, I know most of your questions have been answered, but I'd thought I share one last thing, I've learned...

I don't use any tip bigger than a #3, when decorating the cookies. It's really too big and on a small cookie, I think it looks weird.

Oh, one more thing.....I too use the bottles for all my flooding. It's MUCH easier and faster. The tip is a good size too. I've also stored by icing (still in the bottles-at Flow consistency). Shaked it, and used it.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me, be happy to help.

We'd all love to see your lovely cookies too!

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 5:22pm
post #15 of 27

Great info everyone as today I am trying my first cookie bouquet lol. I have my no fail cookie down cooling in the fridge and will bake them shortly. I havnt decided on how to make the icing yet as I dont have any merinque powder and my store is too far away. I also dont have any squeeze bottles lol but will give it a try afterall if you dont try you wont know if you can succeed wish me luck and I will let you know how I do. I am doing heart shapes and placing them in a mug with heats on it.

Frohdi Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 5:35pm
post #16 of 27

I havent gotten around to figuring out how to post a picture, but here is a lnk to the cookies I just made.

I made simple shapes and flooded them with the intent of writing message on the cookies.

My writing isnt that great, I have a shaky hand and all the soda I was drinking didn't help things .. but for practice cookies, I am satisfied that I can do better next time.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/Frohdi/224_24691.jpg

manatee19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manatee19 Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 5:45pm
post #17 of 27

Frohdi.....they look great! Your flooding turned out really nice.

Are they a sugar cookie?

Frohdi Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 5:51pm
post #18 of 27

yes chocolate no fails with antonias icing .. first time trying chocolate no fails as well

I just ate the ones where I crushed the icing when moving them around, lol .. they are pretty tasty!

I think I need to be a tad thinner next time with the flood .. but I was paranoid that it would be too thin...

practice makes perfect!

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 5:59pm
post #19 of 27

Great job on the cookies! I haven't attempted them yet, but would like to soon! icon_smile.gif

luvbakin Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 9:58pm
post #20 of 27

Great job! You'll get better and better everytime you do this. It really is all about the icing consistancy. Oh, and I agree, the plastic bottles are a LIFE saver. It made decorating cookies from a nightmare to a joy - at least for me.

Frohdi Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 10:07pm
post #21 of 27

I am thinking of buying the bottles where I can use a tip .. I had icing oozing out of the piping bag .. lol .. it oozed out of the top and around the coupler ..

I used a disposable and rubberbanded the top shut, worked much better .. but the bottle will be better i think .. does anyone have a suggestion on where I can buy the bottles - onlline or in a store?

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 10:34pm
post #22 of 27

Okay, so I made a 1/2 batch of No Fails and I already had royal icing made that I used. Not a fan of the royal icing, too sweet for me. Not a bad experience though making the cookies. I did the one step outline & fill and found it pretty easy. I think that the next time I make the cookies I am going to try almond extract as well as lemon. I prefer almond but didn't have any and my hubby loves lemon flavored sugar cookies. I will probably do decorators icing to decorate too. I am putting a photo of the cookies in my photos soon. icon_smile.gif

Any other suggestions on icings for cookies that you can use the outline/flooding method?

luvbakin Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 3:30am
post #23 of 27

I had the same problems with the parchment bags, icing oozing out the top. If I only filled it halfway, I would run out of icing too soon, and it was a COMPLETE mess to try and refill the bag. Also, when you cut the tip for your opening it was never perfectly round, but with a slight point on each end of the circle from cutting.

I bought my bottles from www.sugarcraft.com. I got the big and the small bottles. The big are great for outline and filling, and the small are good for adding details later, especially when you don't need a lot of one color. Remember when filling to either use a funnel, or hold your icing up high so it can drizzle into the bottle. Really stiff royal icing needs to be put in using a spatula.

JackieA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackieA Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 3:41am
post #24 of 27

Can anyone tell me where to buy meringue powder? I checked at my local grocers and they don't have it nor does Michaels.... icon_cry.gif

Frohdi Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 3:42am
post #25 of 27

jackie,

I have bought it in Michales, ACMoore, Rag shop ... anywhere they sell Wilton items..

JackieA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackieA Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 3:46am
post #26 of 27

Frohdi you are a life-saver!! I have a Wilton distibuter near my home and for some reason, I never thought to look there...duh!! Thanks!

SScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SScakes Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 9:08am
post #27 of 27

Not sure which bottle you are talking about but I use the mustard and tomatoe sauce squeeze bottle, add the tip size that I need over the bottles tip and tape it down. it really works very well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%