Cameos

Decorating By jannanners Updated 23 Oct 2013 , 5:14pm by karen Yocom

jannanners Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 8:55pm
post #1 of 25

I'm hoping someone on here can help me. I haven't seen this done before, but I think it should work.
I wanted to make small oval cameos to place around the sides of a cake using royal icing colour flow. I have looked all over the intenet to find a simple cameo outline, but have had no luck. I was wondering if anyone might have a simple outlined picture of a cameo (or know where to find one) that would be easy to trace out and pipe?? Open to any suggestions too! Thanks in advance!

btw... this is for my aunty's 50th bday and she LOVES cameos, and old victoian style things. I want this cake to be pretty extravigant, in gold, cream and peachy kind of tones. If it turns out alright, I will be sure to post a pic!

24 replies
miriel Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 9:32pm
post #2 of 25

This is what I use when I need a cameo on my cakes and cookie. You can use fondant to mold the cameo. It makes a good impression: http://globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=19402

I think this will be more elegant looking than if you trace the outline in royal icing. icon_smile.gif

miriel Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 9:36pm
post #3 of 25

Here's how they look on my cookies...
LL

BlakesCakes Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 1:18am
post #4 of 25

I use a similar silicone fondant mold for cameos. I got it from Ebay from this vendor:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Silicone-mold-mould-sugarcraft-cake-decorating-moulds_W0QQitemZ270136193304QQihZ017QQcategoryZ57211QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem

Here is a clip art outline:
http://parenting.leehansen.com/downloads/clipart/mothers/images/mother-cameoth.gif

I've ordered things from globalsugarart.com, too, and they're great. They're having a sale right now.

Rae

jannanners Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 8:29am
post #5 of 25

Oh... they look beautiful on your cookies! for sure more elegant than tracing in royal icing. But I'm short on time, and won't be able to order them in time. There is only one specialty cake store in my area, so fingers crossed they have this type of mold. If not, I will have to figure something out. But thank you all for your help, I will have to take a look at that ebay vendor too

brittanydear Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 8:58am
post #6 of 25

OK, this is kind of off the wall, but I will share it anyways. For my daughter's bedroom I made old-fashioned cameo-type prints for her wall of her and her sisters. I got the idea from Martha Stewart Living. You take relatives and find old photos of them in profile, or just take new ones. You print out the profile photos on your computer, size (enlarge or shrink) them either on the computer or on a copier. Then cut out their profiles. Then trace the cut out photo profile onto plain paper of a dark color (I used dark purple) and then cut it out. Then glue the cut out paper profile onto a light sheet of paper (I used light purple) and frame. These were SO cute, and everyone loved guessing which relative they were.

So, I was thinking perhaps you could do this with 2 different colored fondants, using the photo profile as an outline? Or, you could use a chocolate transfer traced over the profile photo and then stuck onto a fondant oval, or royal icing oval. Or you could just trace it with royal icing.

It would be so cool to put profile cameos of your aunts children and/or grandchildren around the cake. With digital photography these days, you could have everyone take a profile and email it to you!

clsilvus Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 2:10am
post #7 of 25

miriel, I love those cookies. I love cameos too, I'm definitely going to have to get a mold for myself!!

miriel Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 2:19am
post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsilvus

miriel, I love those cookies. I love cameos too, I'm definitely going to have to get a mold for myself!!

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

sunflowerfreak Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 2:34am
post #9 of 25

Those cookies are gorgeous. I think I will be purchasing a mold too. I can make cookies for my sister in law's bridal shower. They are just so beautiful. Thanks Miriel.

JILBRY Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 3:07am
post #10 of 25

miriel
Beautiful cookies!! I'm going to try that one day.!

jannanners Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 6:46am
post #11 of 25

Those cameo molds sure would be handy! I did put in a bid for them on ebay, but because i need the cake done for saturday I thought I would experiment with the royal icing idea, and they turned out quite well. I'll link up the pics soon!
I hope I win that mold, it will make things so much easier for next time!

joenshan Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 8:41am
post #12 of 25

miriel - those cookies actually made me gasp...they are GORGEOUS!

sunflowerfreak Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 12:22pm
post #13 of 25

I bought the Kathy Scott Petit Fours molds (I LOVE THEM). She also sells silicone cameo molds that go on a petit four. You could use them for your cookies. Here are the links to the Ebay auction where she sells her molds, make sure you check out her Petit Fours molds too:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=300088008099&rd=1&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=300089868549&rd=1&rd=1

lynda-bob Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 12:33pm
post #14 of 25

Jannanners, Hurry w/ the pix! I want to see how they came out. Your cake sounds like it's going to be beautiful icon_smile.gif .

Lynda

Cake4ever Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 12:57pm
post #15 of 25

I would check out www.firstimpressionsmolds.com. They have a set of 9 very detailed cameos for 15 dollars. I've shopped with them several times and their customer service is excellent.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. Thank you for sharing your cameo cookies, they are gorgeous. Now I have to get the cameos! icon_lol.gif

Katskakes Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 2:47pm
post #16 of 25

i was lucky to find a cameo mold in nycake.com, the store is close to my job. After taking the cookie class with toba, i fell in love with it. It reminded me a lot of my mother. I think she must've had an item with a cameo on it when i was younger. (can't remember well)
Anyways, i also used it to make a cookie like the one above. They look just so elegant and beautiful!! In toba's cookie book, there's a picture of how she does them.

Sunny77 Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 2:51pm
post #17 of 25

Hi jannanners, I found this photo and did some retouching to it in hopes it might be something you can trace and use since it sounds like you are under some time restraints?? Hope it helps. Be sure to show us what you do come up with.
LL

miriel Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 4:12pm
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkisInOkinawa

I would check out www.firstimpressionsmolds.com. They have a set of 9 very detailed cameos for 15 dollars. I've shopped with them several times and their customer service is excellent.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. Thank you for sharing your cameo cookies, they are gorgeous. Now I have to get the cameos! icon_lol.gif

I just love the christmas cameos they have! They will be very elegant on christmas cookies icon_smile.gif
http://www.firstimpressionsmolds.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2417

jannanners Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 10:16am
post #19 of 25

Ok It's finally done.
Keep in mind this is a cake of MANY firsts for me! icon_smile.gif First "huge" cake, first fondant swags, first cameos, first time using the Melvira method...
And I didn't charge anything for this cake as it was for my Aunt, but I was just wondering for future reference, how much would a cake like this typically go for? aprroximatley 9 batches of cake mix, and about 5 days to a week of work and "prepping"

One more thing though... I transported the cake in 3 pcs. the top 2 tiers together, and then the bottom 2 separate. Constructing the cake was VERY difficult, and I had lots of touch ups to do. Is there an easy way to stack the cakes that will leave minimal touching up? My aunt suggested letting the dowling stick out and inch or two so that I have space to slide my fingers out without touching the icing, then letting the weight of the cake push them all the way in. It sounds like a good idea. I've taken a few cake dec. classes, but one thing they don't talk about is the actual baking and setting up of the cake.

Thanks everyone!

jannanners Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 10:20am
post #20 of 25

Ok , I guess they are too large I'll try posting in the Birthday cake album

rbatia Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 1:17pm
post #21 of 25

thanks everybody

lynda-bob Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 3:13am
post #23 of 25

Jannanners, Your cake is fabulous! I love it icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif I just added it to my favorites.

have_your_cake Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 3:02pm
post #24 of 25

beautiful ideas! thanks for the tips.

karen Yocom Posted 23 Oct 2013 , 5:14pm
post #25 of 25

Great idea.  Thanks for sharing...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%