Am I Nuts?

Business By wysmommy Updated 2 Jul 2007 , 5:51pm by spongemomsweatpants

wysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wysmommy Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 1:13pm
post #1 of 19

Ok, normally the answer is a straight up "yes" but this time I need actual feedback.

Here's the situation:

I'm in culinary school 2 full days a week. I graduate in January. I have a 2 year old, a husband and a cake business that's outgrown my home kitchen by a long shot. A bakery near me is for sale and my father wants to go into business with me. I'd basically be the Head Chef and he'd do all the financial stuff (which is fine by me, I owned a store/coffee shop a couple of years ago and it was a pain). Until school ends I'd be committing to 3 days a week at the bakery. I can do my cakes from the bakery, get to use all the stuff I've learned in school and get some great exposure. The timing is a little stinky. It would be better if this wasn't going down until January, but by then this place will be gone and it's a great business in a good location for what I want to do. SO...Am I nuts to even be thinking about this?!?

My son needs to go to "school" one way or another (he is an only child and I think he'd thrive getting to play with other kids and have a regular schedule) and I'd mostly be working Friday's most of the day and Saturday and Sunday early mornings to mid-afternoon. School for me is all day Monday and all day Tuesday (like 7am to 9pm all day...not including my hour and a half drive).

HELP LADIES! I usually just go for it when things like this come along...I must be getting old icon_confused.gif

Thanks!
Michelle

18 replies
Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 1:24pm
post #2 of 19

Wow, Michelle--
What an opportunity.
My thinking is that God leads you where you need to go...he puts the doors of opportunity there. But it is up to us to go thru them.

I would say put your faith in prayers and God and see where he leads you.

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 1:26pm
post #3 of 19

what she said. You don't normally get a chance at the perfect set-up in the perfect location twice! Go for it!!!!

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 19

Things will be crazy for you until you graduate, but go for it! If you think it's an ideal location and you can come to an agreement on everything financially with your father ~~ Go for it! Good luck!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 4:07pm
post #5 of 19

I think this is a great opportunity for you. Hopefully you have family support that can help you through the next few months but after that you'll be ready to go. This opportunity may not come again, I'd grab it and go!
Jacqui

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 4:16pm
post #6 of 19

Obviously you have your family backing you (the fact that your father will be helping out), so I say "go for it". It sounds like the chance most people dream of, but don't get.

Of course your life will be insane for a while, but if you weather these next few months (that's all it is - 6-1/2 months!) then things will probably go great from there.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 4:19pm
post #7 of 19

Only you know what you and your family can handle... It is a GREAT deal, but if you wind up all burned out, would it be "fun" anymore ? Best of luck to you in your decision..... (( HUGS)))

wysmommy Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 11:13pm
post #8 of 19

Thanks for the support and advice! It is looking like we might try this thing and see if it works. It just seems too good not to. I think we might make an offer on the place by the end of the week. Cross your fingers for me!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 11:20pm
post #9 of 19

Great oppurtunity! Take the step and don't look back. It's the stuff dreams are make of.

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 11:22pm
post #10 of 19

I think you've answered your own question. You said you've outgrown your kitchen. I believe God is giving you a bigger one. IMO icon_smile.gif

ericaann79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaann79 Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 11:27pm
post #11 of 19

It's only 6 months out of your life...I would definitely take the opportunity! What a way to start off your own business!

ChristaPaloma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristaPaloma Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 11:38pm
post #12 of 19

You might want to find out if there are some good helpers in the area that would come in and swing shift in a pinch if it gets too hectic...especially holiday season. Even if you have to hire permanant part time to fill in until your schedule relieves it would be worth entertaining the opportunity.
Good luck with it...sound like a wonderful possibility definitely worth exploring the option.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 12:34am
post #13 of 19

if its an exsisting business it will continue to run with new owners, you and your dad, take a look at the books you may want to make a few changes at the beginning until you can step in after school is finished and then run it the way you want. it think it would be a great opportunity and generally a business that is selling will also do some training for the new owners so they can continue the business without interruptions.

specialcakesbymommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
specialcakesbymommy Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 11:17am
post #14 of 19

Let us know what you decide. Good luck!

wysmommy Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 1:36pm
post #15 of 19

Well...I decided to do it and we have an accepted offer! Here we go!

icon_surprised.gif

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 4:23pm
post #16 of 19

Congratulations!! Lots of luck on the big adventure.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 5:43pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wysmommy

Well...I decided to do it and we have an accepted offer! Here we go!

icon_surprised.gif

That's terrific!!! Good luck and congratulations!! Don't forget to squeeze in a little time to stop by and let us know how it's going!!

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 5:45pm
post #18 of 19

Congratulations!

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 5:51pm
post #19 of 19

when oppurtunity knocks only a fool refuses to answer the door...clearly you are no fool.
This is outstanding news and super exciting. I can totally relate to your timing issues as I am sort of the same boat with my new shop and my education and children needs. It will all work out and you are going to a huge success. keep us posted on all the goings on..this is so inspiring!! Congratualtions to you and your family, and to your kitchen that will no doubt be very happy to see all your baking supplies find their way into your new shop thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%