Great Value Vs Crisco

Decorating By notjustcake Updated 14 Aug 2006 , 7:04pm by Jorre

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 8:12pm
post #1 of 29

I am trying to keep it cheap but don't want to compromise quality. Does anyone have any opinions on using the Geat Value shortening or the Crisco. The same thing with the sugar from Great Value.

28 replies
oneposhbabychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oneposhbabychef Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 29

I've used America's Choice (The Farmer Jack Brand) instead of Crisco and my Buttercream icing came out good to me.

But then again, it was my first time ever making buttercream icing so I really don't have anything to compair it to.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 29

I've used both Great Value and Crisco, and prefer Crisco. It seems creamier to me. I usually use Domino Sugar.

girltrapped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
girltrapped Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 8:20pm
post #4 of 29

I have used generic and name brand both and no one has ever been able to tell the difference. I add the flavorings and mix it the same...no difference to me!

alicia_froedge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicia_froedge Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 8:25pm
post #5 of 29

I have always just used GV and never used name brand. I wouldn't know what the difference taste like. Everyone seems to like mine just fine.

kharvey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kharvey Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 8:35pm
post #6 of 29

I always use Crisco shortening, but only because Great Value doesn't come in sticks. I always use Great Value powdered sugar and have never had a problem.

alicia_froedge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicia_froedge Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 8:40pm
post #7 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharvey

I always use Crisco shortening, but only because Great Value doesn't come in sticks. I always use Great Value powdered sugar and have never had a problem.

I have never seen it in sticks !!!! That would save so much time!!!!!!!!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 8:47pm
post #8 of 29

Crisco does come in sticks, but if you are after saving money it is alot cleaper to just by the tub. 3 cups worth in the sticks is like $2.80 or something like that. A 6lb tub that I think have 14 cups in it is around $6. Much more cost effective to by the tub.

I have only used Crisco in my icing, so I can't speak from experince. I have had students that tried others with out great results. So I guess it is one of those things that you just have to try for yourself.

I have started using the Great Value powder sugar since my Walmart does not carry Imperial any more. It works just fine for me. Be sure to check though to see that it says pure cane or cane sugar. If it doesn't it could be made with beet sugar and will not give good results. My Walmart has had the cane sugar, but I have heard of other Walmarts in other areas that carry Great Value but that it is not the cane sugar.

notjustcake Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 8:53pm
post #9 of 29

Thank you all I guess it's time to switch!!!!!

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 9:04pm
post #10 of 29

cakedecor, I am a die-hard Wal-Mart fanatic, but I only use Crisco shortening. I have tried several brands & the taste & consistency are not the same. The sugar doesn't seem to make a difference. I usually buy my powdered sugar at Sam's because they have a 7 lb bag for 3.69 or something like that. The 2 lb bag is 1.32 at Wal-Mart.

Good luck!

notjustcake Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 12:15am
post #11 of 29

I just bought that today at Sam's !!! but Crisco is so expensive

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 1:49am
post #12 of 29

I have used the store brand vegetable shortenings as well as Crisco and hi-ratio shortening and I prefer the Crisco to the store brand, but Hi-ratio to the Crisco. The only problem is, I have to special order the hi-ratio because my restraunt supply stores don't carry hi-ration.

As far as sugar is concerned, I will use both beet and cane sugars, but I prefer cane and have found 25 lb bags for $14.00

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 1:58am
post #13 of 29

GV shortening seems softer and more translucent...Crisco seems a bit richer and definately firmer. I feel the GV kind makes my icing too soft. The only other shortening I really liked that was cheaper yet equal quality to Crisco was Snowdrift but now that I'm up north they don't have it here. (But you southerners definately look for it!).

I get Domino pwdr sugar at Sam's. I can tell an ever-so-slight difference compared to the GV sugar, although it doesn't hurt at all to use the GV sugar, I used to use it all the time until I started buying the big bags at Sam's.

pscsgrrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pscsgrrl Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 2:04am
post #14 of 29

I hadn't realized that it could be beet sugar instead of cane sugar. I will have to go look now. I use GV powdered sugar with great results. My DH works for Wal-mart and swears that the GV brands are made by the big name companies. He is only name brand loyal to a few brands. Most of our pantry contains GV stuff.

I have only done cookies so far so I don't know anything about BC or the difference btw. shortenings.

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 2:24am
post #15 of 29

I definitely have a comment about the GV powdered sugar. Not too long ago, I was having trouble with my buttercream, thinking it was a humidity issue. There was a forum topic on it, and we all had our ideas and suggestions. Nothing was working for me. So, out of curiosity, I put the 2 lb. bag of GV sugar on my kitchen scale. Lo and behold, it was under 2 pounds! Not by much, but apparently enough to make a difference in the consistency. I've also used GV shortening, as well as Publix (our local grocery), but I personally prefer Crisco. We have BJ's wholesale where I live, and I can get a 4 pound bag of Domino 10x sugar at about the same cost as GV 2 lb. (x's 2) and the 6 lb. can of Crisco is cheaper at BJ's than at Wal-Mart.
BTW, I weighed the sugar, it is true to weight on my scale.

jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 2:33am
post #16 of 29

I use Crisco. I tried the GV Brand ONCE, never again. I haven't even used all of the tub! I thought that it was hard and didn't get creamy enough like Crisco. I do like the Crisco sticks, but only use them if I need to make a small batch of icing and I feel like being lazy.

As for Powdered Sugar. I use the GV in that most of the time, but have recently discovered the 7lb. bag at Sams. MUCH more cost effective. Also, I found that the 6lb tub of Crisco is almost a whole $$ cheaper at Sams that at Wal-Mart.

tammiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammiemarie Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 2:35am
post #17 of 29

I have a sugar cookie recipe that was passed down to me and you HAVE to use cheap shortening for it, or the cookies won't turn out. So, I keep a can of cheapy in the cupboard for it, and for greasing my pans, but for frostings I use crisco sticks. I know it's more expensive, but it's already measured and time is precious to me. I use whatever for sugars - I buy a lot of Market Pantry (Target brand) or Kroger or GV, wherever I am and whatever's on sale!

butterflyjuju Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflyjuju Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 5:34am
post #18 of 29

The GV Sugar causes my icing to be grainy. I use C&H and never have had any problems.

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 6:53am
post #19 of 29

My preference from best to least. Hi-Ratio Cake and Icing Shortning that you would get from a supplier, then Crisco. I would not consider any other brands. Cane sugar not beet. The difference in whether it is 6x or 10X.

chloe1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chloe1979 Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 7:34am
post #20 of 29

I use Crisco, and I agree about the cost difference at Sams. Their vanilla (Tones) in the huge bottle is also more cost effective. I buy my powdered sugar there, too. And salted butter.

As far as sugar, I have tried pretty much every brand I can get my hands on, and beet sugar is BAD. The icing is grainy, and cane sugar makes the frosting so much fluffier. I do think the beet sugar is better for roses, though. It seems stiffer for some reason. But, as far as after-taste, cane is much less offensive to me.

There's my 2 cents!

CakesWithAttitude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesWithAttitude Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 2:46pm
post #21 of 29

I have given info about this many times b/c "I have tested many times the Wal-mart brand. And when it is used; it causes the color to seperate from the icing making spots. So many times I get students or other decorators asking what causes it; and always they are using GV shortening. I always tell them to buy a tub of GV and Crisco and open it and look at the difference. The GV is kind of translucent and the Crisco is very white. Obviously a quality issue, maybe fine for frying but not for icing. To me; it is one of the few things that cannot be substituted

loves2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 3:30pm
post #22 of 29

I agree that Crisco is So Much BEtter than the off brand shortening that IMO there is no comparision. I tried the off-brand when I first started baking and Eew! Not only did it feel greasy in my mouth, it tasted like Grease.. Of course it could have had nothing to do with the fact that i knew nothing about making icing icon_redface.gif .. lol

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 5:36pm
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1977

I've used both Great Value and Crisco, and prefer Crisco. It seems creamier to me. I usually use Domino Sugar.

I actually prefer the Great Value. Crisco is creamier, but I tend to have more problems with it getting thinner than I like more quickly. I can hold a bag of icing made with Great Value in my hand longer without it melting if I'm working for a long time with it. We actually had this discussion in one of my cake classes, and the general consensus there was that they preferred Great Value.

Now, Great Value sugar, I don't like. Clumpy.

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 6:41pm
post #24 of 29

I have used the GV shortening & sugar. Don't really like them for my icing. I think the 2lb bag isn't 10x. The shortening seems to make my icing tase oily. JMO I use Crisco & either domino or Dixie Crystal sugar.

vicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicky Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 6:52pm
post #25 of 29

In my opinion Crisco is the best deal and most consistant. My sister used off name brands and started having noticeable differences in her product. She cut too many corners. You have to give your customers the best for what they pay for.
Just my opinion...
Vicky

bunnypatchbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bunnypatchbaker Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 7:02pm
post #26 of 29

I have used both name brand and great value products for my icing and I see ABSOLUTELY no difference in the outcome. I have never had an issue with my icing being "grainy" when using the GV powdered sugar. I have never had my colors seperate from the shortening when using GV brand. I even had someone tell me once that they could always tell when someone made icing using only shortening and that is why she liked my icing so much. She knew that I didn't do that!!! icon_lol.gif She them proceeded to give me a $200.00 order for anniversary cakes. I laughed all the way home! I always make the all shortening/powdered sugar icing with different combinations of flavors and have gotten rave reviews from people about how good my icing is. I always used GV and have for years. It makes a good smooth icing that spreads well, and holds it shape. It thins down easily if needed. I personally don't see the issue. icon_biggrin.gif

pilesoflaundry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pilesoflaundry Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 7:58pm
post #27 of 29

I don't like the GV shortening. I will only buy crisco. But I like the GV baking powder, cornstarch and a few other things.

What I don't like is walmart and sam's is often replacing the name brand things they carry with their own brand and only carrying their own brand. I hate not having a choice on some things and while most are the same or similar enough a few things are not the same and I've had to find another source. The sam's brand cappucino mix is gross but they no longer carry the national brand they used to that I got hooked on!

I buy the 50lb bags of imperial sugar at sam's. I rarely buy store brand sugar because I'm afraid of getting beet instead of cane and by buying it bulk it ends up cheaper anyway.

pscsgrrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pscsgrrl Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 6:36pm
post #28 of 29

I discovered something at Wal-Mart yesterday when I went to buy supplies. They carry 2 different kinds of GV shortening. One is the all vegetable shortening and one is the vegetable/animal fat shortening. They also had a name brand animal fat/vegetable shortening. I went with the GV all vegetable shortening, and it looks white when you open it. This is really my first attempt at making BC because I am new to this and have only done cookies so far. My BC came out okay, but I used shortening and butter. I think I would like to use all shortening next time, but the BC does taste really good. I also used margarine instead of real butter which I think was a mistake. Oh well. It's a learning experience.

Jorre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jorre Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 7:04pm
post #29 of 29

I buy powdered sugar in 25lb bags at Smart & Final.... needs to be sifted, but works great. I don't like off-brand shortening, I buy the huge cans of crisco. To measure easily, I put a piece of wax paper on my scale and spoon it on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%