Keep Calm??

Decorating By KayDay Updated 28 Jun 2007 , 10:25pm by Momkiksbutt

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 8:39pm
post #1 of 24

Yeah, I put this under "how do I"...cuz I am about to blow....I did a couple of free shower cakes ( for baby showers at my church) in the not as busy as now season ...lol. Meaning it wasn't wedding time. Now a lady from my church calls me to do em (free) all the time...I told her after a couple that I did that because I had free time then and cant do it like that now. I made it clear that it would cost a little more than the sams...costco...mart cakes. She says Ill talk to you about it later...calls me today...one day before the shower and mentions the cake. I am in the middle of a job and tell her ..I CAN do it...but will have to be paid. She says ...oh I know you are busy and .Ill get it at walmart..bye...lol. No big deal. I dont need the business. I know we donate lots to the church and I REFUSE to let it make me feel bad . This isnt the type of lady who is needy...(the shower recipient) ...nor is the church. They had a womens conference lately and hired a caterer. Paid him well....I know they can afford to pay me. (sigh)

23 replies
Florimbio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Florimbio Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 24

Chin up...people always want everything for nothing..

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 24

Insane sounds like some people I have donated cake to but funny for as many family members as they have they never call me for a birthday cake, people just want a free cake, and have no respect

KayDay Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 24

Exactly...thats why I am so angry. If I have a friend who does a specialty ....I use them . (unless they were truly horrible or something and then I would be friend enough to try to tell them nicely they need more training or something)......MY dh set the pastor up with work from his business...he got one of the congregation a better job with his co. I catered a little luncheon for free...I take cookies etc. for the youth group most every Wed. night...we CONTRIBUTE to our church. I am not going there for the help they can be to me...but think thay ALL know what I do and if my cakes are so superb for the events when they are FREE...they would be for my price as well.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 11:23pm
post #5 of 24

I have experienced the same thing. I can donate cakes and such to neighborhood meetings and events, but when there's money in the budget for an event they go somewhere else.

I offered to make the daughter of a venue coordinator a free birthday cake one year because her mom (the coordinator) had sent me a lot of business that year. The next year mom called me for a free cake again. Then the next year I told her I was too busy. Later she calls for a "paid" cake but said up front that she really needed it to be a "deal." I said no. She won't recommend me for events at the venue anymore. Vindictive witch.

KayDay Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 12:01am
post #6 of 24

Once again...glad someone knows how I am feeling right now. If someone cannot afford my cakes...I understand. If there is a reason..then I am ok with that...however not using me just because I am not the cheapest pisses me off. Everyone there tries to kinda help each other out business wise...I see it that they arent taking my business seriously.....(sigh) once again....another reason I stick to weddings .

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 1:41am
post #7 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

..... She won't recommend me for events at the venue anymore. Vindictive witch.

My FIL, who has been in biz over 50 years and is someone I admire a lot, has a "theory" that if you give someone a break or a deal, they don't appreciate it ..... they expect it from that point forward. Sounds like this lady is proving his point.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 2:01am
post #8 of 24

Are you sure that when she said "I know you're busy, I'll just go to Walmart" that she was being snippity, or is it possible that she just suddenly realized she was putting you out and backed down from her request?

Just asking, of course since I didn't hear her tone of voice its impossible to tell from this end...

I'm really lucky I guess, so far I honestly have not had to deal with this kind of thing. Most friends around here insist on paying me something, even if I tell them not to. The only freebie I've done recently is some grad sheets for the private school my son attends and they offered pay but I offered a freebie because they do alot for us (we have some really good discounts in our tuition) so I thought it was only fair.

I hate that for ya... I always say I don't want to make cakes for friends because its a no win situation sometimes.

KayDay Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 2:35am
post #9 of 24

No....I made it clear that I didnt mind as I was baking at the time anyway...but when I affirmed that it WOULD have to be a paid job...she then insisted that she would just get it at wal-mart.....she wasn't so much being snippy I wouldn't say...as just fishing to see if she could get the really cool one free...then if not..oh well...Ill go to X-mart.

Kitagrl Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 2:50am
post #10 of 24

(BTW my husband grew up in Madison near Huntsville! Isn't Decatur near there?)

I guess I've been lucky that most people around here don't expect freebies. Maybe the fact I have almost four boys running around is an obvious sign that I don't have time for lots of freebies? haha. Maybe you should rent some toddlers for a day or something....

apwagner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apwagner Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 3:02am
post #11 of 24

The philosophy I use when it comes to these situations is, if I offer to do the cake, then I will not ask for payment. If I am asked to do the cake, I expect to be paid and make that clear.
This works for me about 90% of the time. Weddings are usually the exception. If I ask if they have a baker yet and tell them I am available then I expect to be paid.

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 3:56pm
post #12 of 24

I only really do freebies if I'm going to be at the party and eating the cake! icon_lol.gif I've been known to donate a coupon for a free cake for a raffle before, something like that but I don't really donate whole decorated cakes like that. I made a couple cakes for the cake walk at the PTA carnival this year and they were not decorated and were among a bunch of other moms' cakes. No...don't want the reputation of giving away free cake to the world!

LaSombra Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 3:59pm
post #13 of 24

btw, I think maybe people are starting to assume you'll make them whatever cake you are asked to make because you've done them in the past. They were probably surprised when you said no and had to come up with something else on the fly. She's probably at home thinking, "wow, I hope she doesn't think I'm a complete cheapskate after that call!"

You never know though...some people, you give them an inch, they'll take a mile icon_wink.gif

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 4:09pm
post #14 of 24

There are people who will always abuse generousity. There are also people in every non-profit that are loved for their ability to shamelessly ask people to donate things. When they train these people, they always tell them the easiest donation is from someone who has given before. So that's why they call all the time.

I would tell whoever it is at your church," I am really only available for volunteering and donations in July, August, and January. I can usually fit a donation into my calendar during those months. The rest of the year, it is a real struggle, as I am very busy with weddings and graduations etc. Please note my volunteer file, and feel free to call me during those times of the year."

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 4:11pm
post #15 of 24

I'm amazed that someone would "ask" for a free cake. My cakes are only free if I offer. If someone asks then it's a paid cake.
Jacqui

cecilialovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cecilialovescake Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 3:46am
post #16 of 24

I always end up doing cakes for free. and it SUCKS! I do my cousins birthday cakes cause they dont really have the money to pay and its good practice for me but seriously when they have full out themed decorations and store bought fruit and veggie trays and sandwiches at their parties, I wonder why they cant pay me. especially since if I wasnt around theyd be buying a sams cake. my aunt and uncle barely say thank you too, and my cousins hardly notice their cakes. I had to ask my cousin the other day if he liked his cake and got a yes out of it only when asking. Its such a pain. I spent the whole night before baking and decorating and got nothing out of it really. then this weekend super sucks because I have to do like 100 cupcakes for one party and then a half sheet cake for a party on sunday where she wants like the huge picture drawn on. and im getting nothing out of all that. except that the girl with the sheet cake will tell me thank you and her and her mom will write me a thank you card and her dad may offer to get me something for doing it. The problem is that im too nice and know they dont have the money so dont push to get paid for it. But i am spending like 2 days working on all of it and spending over 40 dollars between the two cakes.

Sorry i just had to get it all out. yes generosity is great but does seem to get you in trouble.

then when i do try to get paid for a cake, i get the well why would i pay that when i could buy a full sheet at cosco for the price of your quarter sheet. even though my cake would look cooler.

thanks for letting me vent some.

Ellistwins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellistwins Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 6:11am
post #17 of 24

I didn't read through all the msg now, but when I started baking (about a year ago), my friend asked me to do her daughter a cake. Being my very first cake, I said (she offered to pay) that she must just buy the ingredients. She was so happy with the cake and when her sons' birthday came up she ordered again, so again I asked her for the ingredients. In the mean time she referred quite a few people to me and our friendship was a bit shaky a while a go. My prices has gone from dirt cheap to reasonable and the one day she asked me for a quote on cupcakes. A week before that i made cupcakes for her colleague and i realised I didn't make a cent so i pushed my price.She wouldn't settle for the new price and expected me to do it for cheap because it is for her. Her daughters birthday is this week and guess what, she is baking herself this time round, but who is the mentor? Me. I just decided that i'll rather give her my recipe and ideas and everything that have to do a freebie. I don't need her 2 cakes a year to make a survival. In anyway, my cake money is on the side.

One can't even start with freebies, then they just keep expecting.

Oh and depends on the freebie, I wouldn't make that much effort incase they think it is very nice and would like a million dollar cake for nothing. I rather spend extra time, effort and money on a paid cake (which is a bit undercharged) if it is some new challenge or something new for the portfolio.

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 6:31am
post #18 of 24

Funny you posted about this. I was just talking to my brother about this very thing tonight! I've been doing some freebies as well, but no more.

Last time I got asked to do a cake I was assuming that I was being paid for it. At least she said she was in the beginning. It was for a youth group class that my 11 year old is part of. One of the teachers assistants was getting married and the leader, who is also the bishops wife(we are LDS) asked me a month before to do the cake for her. I spent 6 days doing the cake and even delivered it and set it up for her, including serving set and use of my silver plateau. It's the bride cake I have posted in my photos.

She never offered to pay me a dime for it after all. And the bride is the only one that thanked me for it! I felt really bad. After all, it cost me about $55.00 dollars just for the materials(including the hand sewn/beaded veil). And my time is worth something for heaven sake!! Not to mention the trip to Seattle, some 45 minutes from my home to get the luster dust and other flower making supplies. And the doll itself.

If I had been paid for it I would have charged her at least $85.00 for it. Anyone else would have paid me though. I am a very charitable person, and I will do anything that is asked of me for my church, within reason, but I feel taken advantage of now. I won't offer my services anymore for free, except to the youth for demos on how to decorate. Everyone else is going to have to pay me for what they want.

Fair is fair. Remember, as I learned the hard way, if you let them take advantage of you, they will.

Ellistwins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellistwins Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 6:38am
post #19 of 24

I feel if people wants something and don't want to pay, they can at least offer to cover the cost. I'll donate my labour anytime, but cover the costs involved as it is not cheap to make a decent cake.

LaSombra Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 6:44am
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momkiksbutt

It's the bride cake I have posted in my photos.

OMG, it was that cake?? icon_eek.gif That cake is definitely worth a LOT of money...for you to not be offered any money for it...well, that is definitely taking BIG advantage of you. That is the most awesome doll cake I have EVER seen!

Kitagrl Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 12:34pm
post #21 of 24

I don't think people realize the cost of cake, especially once you start adding extras like fondant or heavy cake boards or other extras. I didn't do it for free of course but the balloon cake I recently made cost me $80 to make, which is part of why I was freaking out about it falling because I didn't want to have to give a refund.

victorianne_sweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
victorianne_sweets Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 9:22pm
post #22 of 24

One thing I do, for people who I *know* are going to ask for a "deal", is quote them a price $10 - $15 MORE than I would normally charge, then when they say something, I'll knock it back down to the original price I would've charged. icon_confused.gif

I know it's not nice, but I figure it's not nice asking me for a deal in the first place (especially after the order's been placed!). icon_eek.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 9:33pm
post #23 of 24

victorianne,

BRILLIANT!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 10:25pm
post #24 of 24

Thanks a bunch LaSombra! I love her too! Just wish I would have been paid for her. But the girls loved her and so did the bride. That is worth alot too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%