Applying Rice Paper To Buttercream

Decorating By ljdaa Updated 7 May 2011 , 3:04pm by Jenny_Jakes_Cakes

ljdaa Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 1:04pm
post #1 of 7

Hello everyone, my question, is there a way to apply rice paper to buttercream and not have the colors of the design run or bleed? I use vanilla to apply the paper. Thanks

6 replies
Lisa Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 4:56pm
post #2 of 7

Try to apply it directly to the cake before the buttercream crusts and see if that helps.

ljdaa Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 5:58pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks from one Lisa to another. I also noticed when I travelled with the cake on the car on quite a hot, humid day here, the icing softened and the paper was a little easier to reattach.

Lisa Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 7

You're welcome Lisa! I'm not sure how you're using the rice paper but have you thought of using frosting sheets instead? They cost a bit more but they're not as prone to bleeding/running and they melt right into buttercream. You can't even tell they're there.

Jenny_Jakes_Cakes Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 4:33pm
post #5 of 7

I know it's been a while since this discussion first began, but for anyone out there still looking for this answer...

Everything I've read online says to apply clear piping gel to the back of the rice paper to have it stick to the cake.

KMKakes Posted 7 May 2011 , 10:07am
post #6 of 7

Thanks, this was amongst my internet searches for the answer. I'll try the clear piping gel.

Jenny_Jakes_Cakes Posted 7 May 2011 , 3:04pm
post #7 of 7

You're very welcome. Let me know how it works out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%