Help! Sunbeam Or Kitchenaid?

Decorating By APCakes Updated 13 Jun 2005 , 3:03pm by SquirrellyCakes

APCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APCakes Posted 12 Jun 2005 , 2:15am
post #1 of 13

Ok, I know everyone raves about Kitchenaids. But for financial reasons I just bought a Sunbeam Mixmaster stand mixer (not Heritage) - it has 300 watts, 12 speeds, two glass bowls, and even a removeable head, which seems more than adequate for me. It was about $60 at Walmart. Does anyone have this mixer? I don't bake for a business yet, so I would be happy if this would last me six years or so, and even happier if it lasted longer.
The rebellious side of me just doesn't want to give in to the Kitchenaid craze! I can't imagine justifying spending $200-400 on a mixer, if a less expensive one could do the job just fine. I have read all the posts about how great Kitchenaids are, but I just don't want to believe it yet! icon_smile.gif
Any help out there?
Thanks!!

12 replies
momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 12 Jun 2005 , 2:38am
post #2 of 13

Hi AP.. i have talked to many people aboutt this issue myself... Alot of people told me that the Sunbeam's motor burns out very easily. I ened up getting me a KA>. and let me tell you!! I LOVE IT!! if you can afford it.. you wont regreat it!! they are great..
I was pinching pennies to get mine icon_lol.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 12 Jun 2005 , 3:02am
post #3 of 13

I have owned both - and after burning the sunbeam up, I now wouldn't buy anything but a Kitchenaid. (well.....maybe a professional Hobart!) Time will tell ~ maybe you will be the lucky one who has one that will last. I am not sure why they burn up so easily.

BTW - I got the Kitchenaid on clearance at Wal-Mart after Christmas and it was $129. (this was about 5 years ago) If I were you, I would be stashing a little bit of the money from every cake I sell to go towards the KA.

TheCakeWizard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeWizard Posted 12 Jun 2005 , 3:25am
post #4 of 13

I have both KA and a Sunbeam stand mixer (WalMart.com chrome model) I started with the Sunbeam and had no trouble with the motor, but I did have a problem with the detachable head. After removeing and attaching it a dozen times to use it then put it away, the pressure button that releases the head broke. When I looked inside, I saw they had the metal spring pressing against 2 plasic plates and eventually the heavy duty spring snaps the plastic plates, then the spring has nothing to apply pressure to to keep the release button in place.
I returned it and they sent me another one, but it took a long time. The same thing happened to the second one. I believe it would be fine if I just left it on the counter and didn't keep removing the head and reattaching it every time I put it away. I like the Sunbeam better than the KA because it is lighter to handle and I can scrape the bowl while it is running and add thing while it is running since the bowl is offset. With the KA, I have to stop the motor and raise the blade and I still get frosting all over my hands and spatula no matter how careful I am scraping down the bowl. The KA is very heavy duty and will probably last a gazillion years.
I have found one other that is just right. Mine is made by Toastmaster but now Bosch has bought the model. It is a stand mixer and it has the orbital motion. I think they call it "planetary motion". Lowes hardware used to carry the Bosch model but I think they stopped. Here is a link to see what it looks like:
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=bosch+planetary+stand+mixer&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=ff&oi=froogler

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 12 Jun 2005 , 4:25pm
post #5 of 13

I have a Sunbeam and mine works just fine! I really would like a Kitchemaid mixer! I hear thet are great!

Ebay has lots of Kitchenaid's. Maybe you can get one for a great deal! icon_smile.gif

mjarvis78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjarvis78 Posted 12 Jun 2005 , 5:37pm
post #6 of 13

I have a KA, and love it! I can't imagine using anything else. However, my grandmother has a Sunbeam ffom the 70's and it still works perfectly fine.

Hmm, guess I am not much help... icon_smile.gif

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 12 Jun 2005 , 5:47pm
post #7 of 13

My preference is KitchenAid .. I've had sunbeam and I burned 2 of those up ... I'd choose the KitchenAid .. that's my advise icon_smile.gif

cakesinma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesinma Posted 12 Jun 2005 , 7:53pm
post #8 of 13

I love my kitchenaid. It's 6 years old and still going strong. It gets used a *lot* - not only for cakes and cookies but for kneading bread dough. It's one tough machine.

It *is* a lot of money. I like the idea of putting aside a bit of money after each cake towards getting a kitchenaid. If the sunbeam lasts you 6 years, that might be enough time to put away enough for a kitchenaid without feeling the pinch.

APCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APCakes Posted 13 Jun 2005 , 4:15am
post #9 of 13

Thanks everybody! I think I will try out this Sunbeam for now, and as I start making money on cakes, I will save up and get a Kitchenaid someday.

eryka1842 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eryka1842 Posted 13 Jun 2005 , 5:12am
post #10 of 13

My dad (my very proud dad) just bought me a Sunbeam Heritage Series Mixmaster last week at Wal-Mart and I love it. I'm wanting a KitchenAid...but it's not really in the budget right now. Even if I didn't pay for the Sunbeam. But I guess anything is a step up from my grandmother's pea green hand mixer that I've been using.

I did read some reviews, and for the price it's my opinion that the Sunbeam is worth it. With that said...I REALLY want a KitchenAid. I plan on saving up for one. But for now, my Sunbeam is just fine.

time2go Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
time2go Posted 13 Jun 2005 , 2:51pm
post #11 of 13

Amazon.com has really great deal on the KA Classic. You can get $25 off with a special code (it's on the site) before June 30 or you can apply for an Amazon visa and you get $30 off your first purchase (which you can apply immediately) AND you can get FREE standard shipping thumbs_up.gif . I just ordered myself one icon_lol.gif ......too temtping to pass up icon_biggrin.gif

missjane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missjane Posted 13 Jun 2005 , 2:58pm
post #12 of 13

I bought a new Kitchen aide from Amazon.com a couple of weeks ago for 175 I think with a 25 dollar discounticon_smile.gif I also got a free rebate where I can choose what attachment I wanted for free so I picked the slicer and grater!icon_smile.gif I bought the 5qrt Artisian modelicon_smile.gif I chose Amazon because I didnt have to pay sales tax or shipping!

I LOVE it. I have been using a very old mixer that was used by hubbys grandmum. I would watch and pray it wouldnt burn out while it whipped my buttercream! lol

My sister has one of the orginal sunbeam heritage mixers, I think it is 40 years old now! lol Still works too..icon_smile.gif

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 13 Jun 2005 , 3:03pm
post #13 of 13

Sunbeam made one of the very first stand mixers and the old ones held up really well. I had a Sunbeam stand mixer about 7 years ago, the motor burned out in less than 6 months and the company didn't come good on it even though it was under warranty and at that time was being strictly used for home use.
I have heard the same thing about the plastic parts breaking down.
They may cost less than a Kitchen Aid, but most Kitchen Aids last 20-30 years. Sunbeams are not cheap and for less than a year's use, which is about average before there are problems for most folks, well it is money down the drain. Really shameful on the manufacturer's part, in my opinion.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%