Ribbon Around Cakes...

Decorating By debilou68 Updated 11 Aug 2006 , 4:58pm by debilou68

debilou68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debilou68 Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 8

HI, I've seen many cakes with ribbon around the bottom,, How do you do this? Is the ribbon covered with something? Does it have to be a special kind of ribbon? Thanks

7 replies
Havingfunbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Havingfunbaking Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 9:53pm
post #2 of 8

Although I have never done this, I believe I have read on this site that you can put double stick tape on the back of the ribbon and then have something like wax or parchment paper cut to the size of the ribbon on the side facing the cake, to keep the frosting from bleeding into the ribbon and making it darker. I know that if you put the ribbon directly on the cake it can sometimes get stained by the buttercream frosting. I may not be remembering this exactly right so I would do a search on this site to find out what others recommend. I just saw your post and wanted to give you the information that I have read before.

Good luck! A cake with ribbon wrapped around is something that I think looks so elegant, and I look forward to making one like that someday.

icon_smile.gif

leekyrichardson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leekyrichardson Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 9:53pm
post #3 of 8

Hey. icon_smile.gif Just thought I'd give you the link to a forum topic similar to yours, hope it helps.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-34556-ribbon.html

BeckySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeckySue Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 10:37pm
post #4 of 8

When I put ribbon on my cake, it was just regular stuff from the craft store. (In fact it was the same ribbon they used for the flowers.) The cake is covered with fondant, so I didn't worry about the ribbon getting greasy. I just put it up against the cake and then used icing dots to hold it there. Good luck!!
LL

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 2:32am
post #5 of 8

BeckySue, what a beautiful cake! I love the bold colors against the white icing.

I use craft store ribbon and just use buttercream to attach it in spots. I haven't had any bleed-thru or even what looks like grease spots come thru on the ribbon knock on wood and cross all your fingers! icon_smile.gif

ape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 2:38am
post #6 of 8

I recently attached white ribbon to a buttercream cake with no problem....I was told to use DOUBLE SATIN RIBBON. The ribbon did soak up the grease, but it did it evenly (if that makes any sense) so you didn't see any grease spots. I don't know how this would work for colored ribbon though. I just wrapped the ribbon around the bottom while the buttercream was still "fresh".

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 3:16am
post #7 of 8

At one of the DOS for ICES they said to take crisco and put it on the ribbon. That way the ribbon will stay all the same color. Have not tried ribbon yet.

debilou68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debilou68 Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 4:58pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone for all the replies,, I just noticed that everyone had replied.. I plan on using ribbon on my neices b'day cake in a few weeks,, I'll let you know how it turns out.. Thanks again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%