Business Cards

Business By coolmom Updated 15 Aug 2006 , 5:10am by rochelle0123

coolmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coolmom Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 14

I was just wondering if anyone could recommend an inexpensive place to get business cards made on the web or in a real store, either way. Also, what kind of information should I include on my card? Oh, and that brings up another question...what should the name of my business be??? Do I have to have a name on my card (probably so, I guess). I have been making cakes for people for a while now, but would like to give them an easy way to pass my name along to others.

13 replies
Raindiddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Raindiddy Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 14

This was about two years ago so I'm sure the price probably went up (and I'm in VA), but I got about 1,000 business cards with burgundy raised ink for like $25!!!!!! On my cards I have my name in the top left hand corner and in the right top corner I have a picture of a cake. In the middle is the name of my business "Cakes With Impressions" and under that I have a little wording (Quality Cakes for an Affordable Price). Then in the lower left hand I have "Specializing In: Wedding Cakes, Children and Adult Birthday Cakes, Holiday Cakes and Dessert Cakes. And finally in the right lower corner I have my phone number, e-mail, and website address. Hope that helps a little.

Raindiddy Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 14

Oops, and I got those from Officemax!

chefdot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefdot Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 8:10pm
post #4 of 14

Vista Print online is good cuz they give you so many free ones when you buy their package and it's like $10 or something like that.

pscsgrrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pscsgrrl Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 14

My mom pointed me towards vistaprint.com. They have 250 cards for only shipping costs. They also have all sorts of other business stationary items. I quickly looked at the site, and it seemed pretty cool. My mom did give me one of the business cards she got from them, and they seem well done.

Also, I usually make my own business cards. You can get a large box of blanks at Sam's. I use Printmaster or American Greetings Crafts to make mine. Any desktop publishing software should do the same. I found that was a cheap way to get exactly what I want on a business card.

Hope that helps!

delectablecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delectablecakes Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 8:16pm
post #6 of 14

I got mine from Vistaprint.com. Very reasonable and they do really good work. You can design your own or have them design it for you.

queeniek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queeniek Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 8:17pm
post #7 of 14

i just made some for myself last night. I went to Staples and bought a software called "My Professional Business Cards" and its got numerous templates for the type of card you like. You just plug in your contact info and it automatically places in on the card. you can all buy the card stock there to. I spent $35 total and i can make 200 business cards with them.

It might be better to do it yourself because if you got a printing company, some of their designs are plan and you get stuck paying for a lot of cards and you may not like the design and what to change it. At least with this if you feel like changing your design at any time, it won't cost you extra. Hopes this helps

Raindiddy Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 8:18pm
post #8 of 14

Sounds like Vistaprint.com is the place to go!!! Thanks, I'll check them out because I need more.

Chefgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefgirl Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 8:25pm
post #9 of 14

I used http://www.overnightprints.com/. I have a friend that designed the cards for me, but you can also design your own on their website. Very professional looking, especially if you get the UV coating and rounded corners options. I got 500 for $50 and I am very happy with them. The UV coating keeps the ink from rubbing off and from getting bent easily.

coolmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coolmom Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 8:32pm
post #10 of 14

Thanks for the advice! So, I've been thinking. What about "Classy Confections"? Is it cheesy or overused? Let me know what you think?

Princess3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Princess3 Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 3:22am
post #11 of 14

I've got a CCRRAAZZYY question- Those of you that have business cards or inquiring about them, do you own your business or how are you doing it? Is it just for word of mouth or do you have to be in business to be able to advertise like that. Because I want some too!!!

queeniek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queeniek Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 4:18am
post #12 of 14

You don't have to be in the "business" but it depends on how you want to operate your talents. I do cakes as a home business. I made business cards because at my job every week there is someone having a birthday, retirement party, baby shower, you name it.... and spends lots of money on nasty cake. To make a long story short, i saw a golden opportunity to advertise and make myself known but i have only been advertising it at my job. And its good to keep some in your purse. You know you'll always find yourself in a conversation and eventually someone will be taking about how they need a cake last minute, and thats when you swoop in like superwoman to save the day with the business card. it comes in handy thumbs_up.gif

GarfieldOne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GarfieldOne Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 5:23am
post #13 of 14

I also would go with Vistaprint. Used them for other business cards and the price and quality is unbeatable. They ship quick too. As for the name. Its up to you and what you like. I am impartial and I hope no one takes offence but one thing that I heard when naming a business was that if a name has to say it, its probably not. Aka, the name shouldn't have to tell them you are quality, they just know, they see your work and portfolio. Thats just my opinion

rochelle0123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rochelle0123 Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 5:10am
post #14 of 14

Check out www.vistaprint.com. I got mine there and I paid about $15.00 for 250 cards, color on the front, black and white on the back.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%