Does Toba's Glace Set Up Hard?

Baking By cassman Updated 21 Jul 2007 , 7:39pm by Luby

cassman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassman Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 12:52am
post #1 of 30

I am making cookies for my girls birthday party and I need to be able to stack the cookies. Does Toba's glace set up hard or should I use something else? I would love any suggestions.

Thanks

29 replies
danar217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danar217 Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 1:08am
post #2 of 30

Yes, it's sets up hard and can be stacked but is still soft when you bite into it, unlike royal icing. It's great, I use it all the time and love it!

chqtpi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chqtpi Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 1:13am
post #3 of 30

yes, it sets up beautifully..makes a nice background if you want to do royal icing accents on the top after wards icon_smile.gif best of luck icon_smile.gif

cassman Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 1:22am
post #4 of 30

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 7:48am
post #5 of 30

Count me in! I decorate with Toba's recipe and I LOVE it. It dries very firm, but not hard. It also freezes beautifully! After hearing everyone rave, I am really curious to try Antonia's icing, though.

brea1026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brea1026 Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 3:56am
post #6 of 30

I always use Toba's. I started out using Antonia's RI, but I got complaints that it tasted bad, so now I only use RI for the details.

cassman Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 2:37am
post #7 of 30

How long should I wait after frosting before I can bag them or put them in a bowl with a lid?

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 4:30am
post #8 of 30

Decided to try Toba's--- how the heck do I measure 3/8 cup of milk??

danar217 Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 7:04pm
post #9 of 30

I thought the same thing but then noticed it was on my big measuring cup! It's just a little less than 1/2 c.
Good luck, you will love it!

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 7:07pm
post #10 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by marthajo1

Decided to try Toba's--- how the heck do I measure 3/8 cup of milk??

1 cup = 16 Tablespoons, so 3/8cup=6 Tablespoons (or 1/4cup + 2 tablespoons).

marthajo1 Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 10:25pm
post #11 of 30

Thank you thank you! I tried it and weighed it. It was yummy I can't wait to eat one of the cookies! I hope there are enough for me to have one! icon_lol.gif

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 5:52pm
post #12 of 30

Do I have my glace too thin? This is the first time I have made it and it is really thin - it is running out of tip #2 - plus off the side of the cookie. Do I need to add more powdered sugar or is it suppose to be this thin? Also - how long does it take to set up and become firm?

Thanks,
Suze.

Peeverly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeverly Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 7:10pm
post #13 of 30

You can add more powdered sugar to make it thicker. It is a really nice icing. A couple of things. One is if you don't want it to be opaque add whitening to it and the colors will not have that "clear" look (does that make sense?) Two is that I prefer to add accents with royal as Toba's is harder to pipe on for details. One more thing. I have found that this icing makes the cookie softer (which many people prefer) but it also makes the cookie more fragile. I don't know if anyone else has noticed this but I find that my cookies break easier. For that reason, I am going to use glace only on smaller cookies and for bigger, heavier cookies royal for flooding. You will love the icing though because it tastes great (many say much better than royal). Good luck!

danar217 Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 7:35pm
post #14 of 30

I agree with the cookies being softer but it tastes so much better than royal icing, I think.
When I make it, i only add about 1/2 of the corn syrup, do all my borders, then add the rest of teh corn syrup for the flooding. Sometimes I even add more powder sugar for the detail work. It's all I use now.

DebraJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebraJ Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 4:05am
post #15 of 30

Thank you all for the wonderful tips. I'm going to retry Toba's glace icing today when I make cookies for the First Lady of our church's birthday on Sunday. I'll start early so the cookies have enough time to dry.

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 6:03pm
post #16 of 30

just to add my 2 cents icon_wink.gif when I took Toba's class she told us all that her glace icing freezes wonderfully. I haven't done it as of yet, but will try soon!

carmalitabonita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmalitabonita Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 4:18am
post #17 of 30

Hi im new what is toba's icing?

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 6:07am
post #18 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmalitabonita

Hi im new what is toba's icing?

Here's the link to the recipe from CC: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2119-Toba-Garretts-Glace-Icing.html

carmalitabonita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmalitabonita Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 2:34am
post #19 of 30

thank you miriel for your response to my question. cant wait to try it!! icon_biggrin.gif

LGL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LGL Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 4:00pm
post #20 of 30

I really like this icing but I had a lot of little bubbles. Is there a trick to this?

Did I overbeat the frosting? I used a hand mixer.

ConfectionAffection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionAffection Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 8:54pm
post #21 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGL

I really like this icing but I had a lot of little bubbles. Is there a trick to this?

That always happens to me too. I think it is caused by over-beating. You're really only supposed to beat until *just* combined. I always over do it. icon_rolleyes.gif LOL. The way that I compensate for that is to use a toothpick to pop the air bubbles before the icing gets too firm.

I LOVE Toba's icing for many reasons - it tastes MUCH better than RI and it is so forgiving when you're working with it. You can add more liquid or more sugar, depending upon the consistency you need. Although I have found that even with using the whitening drops, I still cannot get it to be completely opaque. icon_confused.gif

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 10:03pm
post #22 of 30

I just want to add to the Toba Love Fest -- I use it all the time and love it. It freezes really well. I iced and decorated with RI and then sealed them in a Ziploc. Once frozen, placed them stacked in a Tupperware container. They came out just fine and no one could tell they had been frozen!

I make what I call "Map cookies" for my DH. After rolling out the dough a couple of times, I take all the scraps, moosh 'em, and re-roll. I use a knife and cut them into semi rectangals. I ice with all the leftover glace mixed-up, dry and then freeze -- that way I can give him a treat from time to time. I call them maps because he wanted to know why I did cookies shaped like Arizona and Wyoming??? icon_lol.gif

ljudd1969 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljudd1969 Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 11:03pm
post #23 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGL

i have this problem too sometimes so right after I flood the cookie, i go back through w/a toothpick and pop them. as long as you don't wait too long, it won't leave a mark. i love, love, love this icing. it goes great w/ the nfsc recipe. much tastier than royal (although i do go back and use royal for all the accents).

cakes-r-us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes-r-us Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 2:15am
post #24 of 30

Yes, this icing is great. I get my wooden spoon and mix by hand. Didn't want to setup mixer one day so I just put everything in large bowl and mixed. No bubbles, and very easy.

marthajo1 Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 2:26am
post #25 of 30

Question-- When you outline the cookie does the icing sometimes run over the edges? Do I have it to thin? It floods great and I solved the problem by outlining first and then letting it dry for a minute or two but that left a border (see the shaded sun in my pics) Should I thicken it next time?

marthajo1 Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 2:27am
post #26 of 30

Oh yeah and how the heck do you say glace

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 2:41am
post #27 of 30

I love Toba's glaze but has anyone ever had a problem with it being too thin after you mix it. I made cookies yesterday and had to add more sugar to get it thick enough! This was the first time I have ever had it like this!
Linda

ConfectionAffection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionAffection Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 3:30am
post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linliv46

I love Toba's glaze but has anyone ever had a problem with it being too thin after you mix it. I made cookies yesterday and had to add more sugar to get it thick enough! This was the first time I have ever had it like this!
Linda

I think, as with any baking project, ingredients can be effected by the weather, humidity levels, etc. Adding more sugar doesn't hurt...as I mentioned before, this recipe is so forgiving.

Glace is pronounced gla-sey. Its origin is French.

marthajo1 Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 4:53am
post #29 of 30

so that is gla and Say or Zay?

This seems like I am being funny but when people ask what it is I can't decide how to say it! I say it different each time! icon_lol.gif I hate that

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 7:39pm
post #30 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by marthajo1

so that is gla and Say or Zay?

This seems like I am being funny but when people ask what it is I can't decide how to say it! I say it different each time! icon_lol.gif I hate that

I say gla-say (don't know if that's right or not - lol)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%