How Do I Put Ribbon On Buttercream?

Decorating By cyndiartieta Updated 22 Jun 2007 , 7:05pm by jstritt

cyndiartieta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cyndiartieta Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 6:25pm
post #1 of 8

I am trying to put pink grograin ribbon around a light turquoise cake for my best friend's wedding shower. How do I keep the ribbon from getting greasy and changing color??? Ahhh!

7 replies
miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 8

Iron wax paper on the back side of the ribbon. That will make it grease free when placed on the cake.

jreimer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jreimer Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 8

All I do is spread some buttercream on the back of the ribbon so its 'greasy' all over the ribbon, so it won't look like its greasy then... because it all matches - then its easy to wrap around the cake too because it sticks!

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 8

I always cut a strip of wax paper just a little smaller than the width of the ribbon I'm going to use... I tape together the ends and cut to the length I need ... I place that around each layer first then the ribbon ... works for me with not grease getting on the ribbon at all icon_smile.gif

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 6:46pm
post #5 of 8

I havn't used anything on the ribbons and I havn't had a problem.

stephanie

PaulaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PaulaT Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 8

Hi,
I iron the ribbon 'between' the wax paper so it is thoroughly covered with wax - so there is no bleeding through. Use paper towels on top and under the wax paper so you don't harm your iron or board. You can then attach with a touch of buttercream, double sided tape of even piping gel. Hope that helps!!
Good luck and happy baking. thumbs_up.gif

mekaclayton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mekaclayton Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 6:49pm
post #7 of 8

I've always wondered about this....thanks you guys!!

jstritt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jstritt Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 7:05pm
post #8 of 8

Try ironing freezer paper (not wax paper) on the ribbon. The freezer paper actually adheres to the ribbon. Wax paper will not.
Works great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%