Help!!! All My Cakes Look Like An Hourglass!

Decorating By misarisa7 Updated 24 Jun 2007 , 11:59pm by LauraS

misarisa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misarisa7 Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 6:00pm
post #1 of 17

This is my 1st post! HELP!!! Every time I bake my cakes come out looking like an hourglass! The tops are OK but the sides curve in. I've tried everything! I grease. I grease and flour. I bake at the specified time. I'm so confused. I checked the joy of baking website... nothing. I even asked the lady at the cake supply store that gives lessons and she looked at me like I was from another planet!
please help!

16 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 6:06pm
post #2 of 17

Welcome to cake central. There could be many factors that effect your results. Maybe with more information we can offer some tips.

Are you using a mix or a scratch recipe.
Are you testing for done-ness-sometimes baking times are not exact
Do you have an oven thermometer?
Have you tried using an inverted flower nail to aid baking in the center

Bake even strips, or even strips of wet toweling wrapped around the outside of the pan can help even the baking.

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 6:07pm
post #3 of 17

Are your pans completely straight up and down on the sides? I had that problem and then I realized my pans were slanted smaller at the bottom than they were on the top.

misarisa7 Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 17

I use both scratch and mixes. I test for doneness. Brand new oven and I have a thermometer. I use springform pans for the most part that are straight. cakes taste even, center to edge. I really don't get it. bought them but I haven't tried the bake even strips yet. but my understanding is that they only help with the tops leveling out. I don't understand the flower nail trick?
Does it act as a heating core?
Thanks for all your help!
Keep it coming!! icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 7:04pm
post #5 of 17

Are you using Wilton cake pans? If so, invest in Magic Line.

Some of Wilton's pans are concave.

misarisa7 Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 7:09pm
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptop57

Are you using Wilton cake pans? If so, invest in .

Some of Wilton's pans are concave.

Mostly mixed. some wilton, some not. I checked though; none are concave.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 7:10pm
post #7 of 17

I smell cheap cake pans. Most non commercial ( this includes Wilton) pans aren't straight. I have had good luck with vintage made in the US pans by Mirro, Nordicware, Chicago bakeware, and Magic Line

midgit1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midgit1205 Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 7:11pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by misarisa7

I don't understand the flower nail trick?
Does it act as a heating core?

Invert the flower nail upside down (so the flat part rests on the bottom of the pan) in the center of your cake pan. This does act like a heating core and allows your cakes to bake more evenly.

I have tried both the strips and flower nail and prefer the flower nail. I feel it works better than the strips. Others will feel differently. Try both and see what you prefer!!

HTH - and GOOD LUCK!

Janeil

misarisa7 Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 7:16pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by txkat

I smell cheap cake pans. Most non commercial ( this includes Wilton) pans aren't straight. I have had good luck with vintage made in the US pans by Mirro, Nordicware, Chicago bakeware, and

I really don't think it's the pans.
They aren't slightly curving in hourglass.
I'm talking marilyn monroe hourglass. icon_lol.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 7:18pm
post #10 of 17

By hourglass do you mean the sides of a single layer curve in then back out? Or you have the hourglass shape when you put two pans together.

If it is the two pans then the other responces may be the answer. But if it is a single layer then I don't think it is the pans sides not being totally straight up.

misarisa7 Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 5:22am
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

By hourglass do you mean the sides of a single layer curve in then back out? Or you have the hourglass shape when you put two pans together.

If it is the two pans then the other responces may be the answer. But if it is a single layer then I don't think it is the pans sides not being totally straight up.

no, it is a single layer that curves in and then back out.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 12:37pm
post #12 of 17

Okay, I get it....Your cakes are falling. They are rising and then collapsing on themsleves, denting themselves in the middle. Springform Pans are really thin aluminiumso they get really hot really fast, causing them to rise quickly on the sides when the middle of the cake finally catches up, the weight shift to the greater mass in the middle pushes the sides back down.

I'd try a heavier gage pan or some cake strips.

misarisa7 Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 3:08pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by txkat

Okay, I get it....Your cakes are falling. They are rising and then collapsing on themsleves, denting themselves in the middle. Springform Pans are really thin aluminiumso they get really hot really fast, causing them to rise quickly on the sides when the middle of the cake finally catches up, the weight shift to the greater mass in the middle pushes the sides back down.

I'd try a heavier gage pan or some cake strips.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! That helps sooo much! I will give it a shot with the strips or different pans icon_biggrin.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 5:49am
post #14 of 17

Also try not greasing the sides... sound like the cake is pulling away after it is baked. If you don't grease, it will stick and then you can loosen it with a spatula to remove it.

Angie707 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angie707 Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 8:40pm
post #15 of 17

Sounds to me that your cake is maybe slightly overcooking. If your cake pulls far from the edges of the pan then you have overcooked it (even if its just slight.. as far as it being hour glassy-- make sure your cooking on the middle rack.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 9:01pm
post #16 of 17

i think the springform pans (aluminum issue that the txkat talked about) could be part of the problem...

i know EXACTLY what you are talking about.i had that problem some time back...at that time, i figured it was the recipe...either too much fat or too much sugar, then...i was using doctored cake mixes, and they sometimes would take on the hour glass shape.

BUT...now that i bake scratch, lately i am learning a bit about how altitude can affect baking. i am just barely above sea level and am realizing that i need to adjust baking soda/powder amounts because they rise and then sink with certain recipes, and i read in the joy of cooking how certain altitudes require different amounts. much less for lower altitudes

so- those may also be possibilities.

LauraS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LauraS Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 11:59pm
post #17 of 17

I know this may sound strange, but do you rotate your cake pans in the middle of the baking time. I had a stove that did that and for some reason it worked for awhile to rotate the cake. worth a shot.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%