Help Please

Baking By eliciag Updated 23 Jun 2007 , 12:50pm by eliciag

eliciag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eliciag Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 8

I'm trying to make a deep red icing. I"ve tried almost a whole bottle of red food coloring and it still has a pink tint to it. How can I get the color deeper??

Thanks!!

7 replies
freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 3:00pm
post #2 of 8

Someone here said that if you add yellow and orange to your icing first it will help you to get a deeper red color. I will find the exact post and get back to you.

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 3:01pm
post #3 of 8
MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 8

Do you have time to let it sit for a few hours/overnight? It will deepen with time.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 5:47pm
post #5 of 8

When you use the term "Bottle" that makes me think you are trying to use Liquid food coloring. Is this correct? If it is, the best thing to color icing with is Gel or powdered colors. powdered are a little harder to find, but Wilton and Americolor make gel colors.

If you are using gel colors then you can either start your white with pink then add the red or add a lot and allow it to sit over night as the color darkens the longer it sits.

MahalKita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MahalKita Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 6:18pm
post #6 of 8

I start with small batches, if you start with a huge bowl you will never get it the color. Just keep adding icing & color till you have the amount you need. & yeah the liquid will take forever to get the color you want. Not to mention it will thin out your icing. I use wilton's gels. Good luck.

ps-Another way is to use strawberry flavoring first, it turns the icing pink & helps get the red faster. & it tastes SO GOOD. icon_smile.gif

cookiecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiecreations Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 6:30pm
post #7 of 8

Try the Americolor super red. You don't use near as much as the wilton and you get a great deep red. As leily said, start with pink then add the red. It really needs to sit for a few hours or overnight for the color to deepen. Same goes for black.

eliciag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eliciag Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 12:50pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you all so much! I actually started out by using the gel coloring and it just made it pink. So then I turned to the liquid coloring and like some of you had mentioned as it sat there it got darker. The cookies came out beautiful. Thank you all for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%