? Cream Of Tartar In Royal Icing

Baking By sandy1 Updated 6 Feb 2014 , 8:18pm by yakracer

sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 14

I don't understand why you need to put cream of tartar in royal icing that will be used to decorate cookies. I thought that meringue powder already has cream of tartar in it. Can someone explain the reason for this? I'm making cookies and I want to make sure I need to add the cream of tartar before I decorate them. Thanks so much!
Sandy

13 replies
freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 3:06pm
post #2 of 14

I have never heard of this! I just use 2 pounds powdered sugar, 3 tablespoons meringue powder, and tons of flavoring to get rid of the meringue taste. Add water to desired consistency, beat for 7 minutes. Add more water to get to flooding stage and decorate. I would suggest tasting your royal before beating it for 7 minutes to make sure it has enough flavor.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 14

I add it because one time I ran out of cream of tartar, thought it would be okay, but it took probably a day longer for my icing to harden. Maybe it was just a coincidence, but I always add it now!

sandy1 Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 3:43pm
post #4 of 14

I have the recipe from Antonia 74 from CC. I've decorated cookies with royal icing before without the cream of tartar. When I reviewed her recipe I wondered what the extra cream of tartar did to the icing. If anyone knows what it does I would love to know.
Sandy

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 4:07pm
post #5 of 14

It is a stabilizer.. it increases the volume of egg whites when you whip them. It also helps to prevent the crystalization of sugar when it's cooked. It's an acid made from teh sediment found in wine barrels.. who would have thought to use it in the first place?? LOL There is cream of tartar in meringue powder.. I wonder if your recipe is one that says you can substitute the MP for egg whites??

sandy1 Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 5:38pm
post #6 of 14

The recipe I have has you putting in 5 tablespoons of meringue powder and 1 teaspoon cream of tartar. This is why I'm confused. I'm wondering if someone out there knows the reason for the additional cream of tartar.
Sandy

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 5:47pm
post #7 of 14

It could be for extra stability or volume.

sandy1 Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 5:49pm
post #8 of 14

Thanks for the replies.
Sandy

cookiecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiecreations Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 6:17pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

It could be for extra stability or volume.

You're exactly right plus it helps produce a creamier consistency.

valcakedesigner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valcakedesigner Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 8:40pm
post #10 of 14

There is a specific cream tartar for royal icing or any one will work to?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 8:43pm
post #11 of 14

yes just regular cream of tartar

there is more than one kind?

or you were just checking to see if there was something more special?

just the regular cream of tartar--sold in the grocery store where spices are sold (in the us anyway ;)

arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 9:02pm
post #12 of 14

It stabalizes your RI. And helps it not be a runny mess. And for white RI it helps give a BRIGHT white.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 9:10pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy1 

I don't understand why you need to put cream of tartar in royal icing that will be used to decorate cookies. I thought that meringue powder already has cream of tartar in it. Can someone explain the reason for this? I'm making cookies and I want to make sure I need to add the cream of tartar before I decorate them. Thanks so much!
Sandy

You only need a pinch of cream of tartar with 3 fresh egg whites and a pound of powdered sugar.

If you have a container of merigue powder, look at the ingredients list for "potassium bitartrate" which is the technical name for cream of tartar.

yakracer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yakracer Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 8:18pm
post #14 of 14

It's my understanding that people who live in very dry climates don't need to add the cream of tartar to their royal icing, but more humid environments need it or the icing takes forever to set up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%