Help! Color Flow Question

Decorating By JoJo4 Updated 14 Jun 2005 , 9:13pm by aunt-judy

JoJo4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo4 Posted 11 Jun 2005 , 1:46pm
post #1 of 8

Hi,

I just did my first color flow decorations. I had to make 2 batches. I followed the Wilton directions for thining - I droped icing into the color flow and counted to 10 and if it disappeared at 10 it was perfect. My color flow seemed very thin but this is the directions I followed. Anyway, the 2nd batch was MUCH thinner then the first batch. It's been drying for less than a day now and the 1st batch seems to be hardening nicely, but the 2nd batch is still soft - kind of crusty on top but gives way pretty easily at the touch. Will the thinner color flow ever harden - or do I need to do it again? I have 2 weeks before I need to make this cake so I do have time to make more color flow decorations if I have to. Thanks. Joanne

7 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 11 Jun 2005 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 8

It'll harden. I did some fence posts a few months ago and they took almost 2 days to harden. I never ended up using them. They stored away nicely though. Still as good as the day I made them.

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 11 Jun 2005 , 6:52pm
post #3 of 8

I always trying to give my colorflow at least 28 hourse. I did a spiderman made out of colorflow and did a week ahead of time just to make sure that it dried properly.

JoJo4 Posted 12 Jun 2005 , 7:03pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks for your reply's. I'm really not sure they are going to harden though. I have one decorations that's already ruined so I poked at it a little bit and there's a thin somewhat hardened crust on the top but then underneath that it's all liquidy. It's been 48 hours - should they be harder or do you think it will take a full week? I'm thinking about doing another batch tomorrow just to be on the safe side. What is the consistency suppose to be?? Cold chocolate syrup was one description - however this is too thick for a piece of frosting to disappear into it when dropped. Any more advice would be helpful, thanks.

celenes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
celenes Posted 12 Jun 2005 , 7:15pm
post #5 of 8

for your pieces to draw. I always give my items a week to dry to assure that they are draw all the way through. I recently made a large key for a ribbon cutting ceremony. I made the key on a Saturday for use on the following Wednesday in the afternoon. It came out excellent. I'll post it shortly for you to see.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 14 Jun 2005 , 3:20am
post #6 of 8

JoJo,

Humidity plays a big part on the drying time. If it's humid it will take longer then 2 days. I always make my color flow things a week ahead just so I know they will be perfect. Try putting them under a bright light. That will help them dry. If they are colored don't put them close to a window because the sunlite will fade the color.

JoJo4 Posted 14 Jun 2005 , 6:27pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you tcturtle shell!

It's been extremely humid here in CT. We've had the central air on and I actually checked the decorations this monring and the ones I did with the thcker color flow are actually drying!! YEAH! I did do more today though JUST IN CASE. I'm so nervous next week will come and they won't be ready and I won't know what to do! So I made some extra to be safe. These were done with much thicker color flow so I am hopeful they will dry. Thanks everyone!

aunt-judy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt-judy Posted 14 Jun 2005 , 9:13pm
post #8 of 8

don't be afraid to make it thicker. thicker is better. as you know, the right "dropping constency" is when a drop of the color flow puddles on top and then settles into the color flow in a matter of seconds -- that way it's thin enough that it'll settle when piped without leaving little ridges, but i find it really should be almost as thick as royal icing that you'd use to pipe decorations on cookies, so it'll have more dimension and actually dry completely. of course, if you're really panicked and want to try another method to make "color flow" pieces that you can use the same day, you can get yourself some white candy pieces and oil colors (or colored candy pieces), melt them at 50% power in the microwave for 1-2 minutes, stir them (since they don't actually loose their shape initially, but they will when stirred), pipe outlines with the melted candy, and then flash-firm them in the fridge, and then fill in by piping melted candy as you would with color flow. using candy/chocolate coating is great for piping lettering too -- pipe onto wax paper, and then firm in the fridge for a few minutes, then remove carefully with an offset (angled) spatula/palette knife and place on cake (even on the sides, which looks very cool).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%