Straws=Dowels?

Decorating By ccsweetness Updated 21 Jun 2007 , 7:17pm by mekaclayton

ccsweetness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccsweetness Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 10

Random question: DO straws work as well as wooden dowels?

9 replies
momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 6:44pm
post #2 of 10

I would not use straws. I would be afraid they wouldn't hold up.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 10

I have heard of people using straws but, I just wouldn't risk it! They seem to flimsy to me! Go for wooden skewers...they work just as well as dowels!

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 10

I would use straws only in a pinch and only for small cakes. Use a sturdy kind (McDonald's work well) or bubble tea straws.

buffim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buffim Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 6:52pm
post #5 of 10

I'm still new to decorating, but all I have used so far is straws. I'm not good at cutting straight so it is easier for me to cut the straws for use. I have however only used the bubble tea straws as they are wider and seem to be sturdier than a normal straw. I have only used them in 3 tier cakes, but haven't had any problems with them yet.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 6:54pm
post #6 of 10

Depends on what I'm doing. If it's a small cake going on a sheet cake I use straws. I've used them for a two tiered cake too and stuck them thru both tiers. I've used the flexable drinking straws I keep in the house (minus the flex part) and also the heavy ones I can get with a big drink at the Sonic drive in. (I ask for an extra straw when I think about it. hee hee) I don't use dowels much. I just don't care for sticking the wood in my cakes. Tho it's just raw wood so it doesn't hurt the cake at all.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 6:57pm
post #7 of 10

discussion of this and sources for bubble tea straws:
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-270153-0.html

melsherard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melsherard Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 7:11pm
post #8 of 10

Straws are good if you have nothing else. Truthfully, they have never failed me, but I really like to use the Wilton hidden pillars if I have them. I haven't used dowels in a long time.

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 7:16pm
post #9 of 10

I use straws and they are as sturdy as the wooden dowels. I don't use McDonalds type of straws though. Mine are much stronger!

mekaclayton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mekaclayton Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 7:17pm
post #10 of 10

Bubble tea straws are new to me....have to check that out. I have used regular drinking straws though...not often and with smaller cakes. I normally use wooden dowels. Hadn't used anything else in awhile.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%