Wedding Cake Timeline?

Decorating By ElixirIce Updated 21 Jun 2007 , 8:47pm by dodibug

ElixirIce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElixirIce Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 6:39pm
post #1 of 2

Hey everyone! Well, it's finally going down, my brother and my best friend are getting married! Now the big problem! They want me to make their wedding cake AND be the maid of honor. I was just wondering if anyone with previous experience can point me in the direction, or inform me of some kind of timeline as to when to start baking the cakes, making the frosting, icing, decorating, etc... I dont know if I'll have the time to handle this cake while entertaining the guests and doing my other duties! I'll need super CC help on this one! ANY other advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

-Lisa Marie

1 reply
dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 8:47pm
post #2 of 2

I mostly bake with doctored mixes so for a Sat. wedding I bake on Thurs and decorate on Friday then set up the cake a couple of hours prior to the wedding. While the cakes are baking you can make your buttercream so it ready to go on Friday. I like to take one cake, level, fill it, crumb coat and then move onto the next cake. By the time they are all done like that the first one is ready to get iced. Then I ice let them set to crust and then go back to smooth with my viva paper towel. I set it up like an assembly line and it goes much smoother and quicker for me.

My suggestion would be to use icing and fillings that can sit out so you can set the cake up as early as possible on Sat and then concentrate on the wedding.

It also helps to get all your boards, boxes ready way ahead of time so it's less of the minuta to worry about while you are trying to bake, make icing, etc.

Welcome to CC and good luck with the wedding!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%