Mmf Storage

Decorating By SidAna Updated 21 Jun 2007 , 10:44pm by miriel

SidAna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SidAna Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 1:48pm
post #1 of 8

How far ahead can I make MMF and store? What is its shelf life? Does it need refrigeration?

7 replies
SugarBakers05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakers05 Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 4:30pm
post #2 of 8

I'd like to know too, so here's a bump

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 4:34pm
post #3 of 8

You can make MMF way ahead of time=) I have read, if stored properly, it will last up to 6 months=) Now to store it...What I do is put a layer of crisco on the ball of fondant, then cover it tightly with suran wrap. Then I put that into a zip-loc baggie(making sure to get all the air out). After that, I put it in a tupperware container and store it in my basement. The cooler temp and out of the light keeps for a long time. Some do not do the last step, but it has worked well for me! When it comes time to use it, you will need to knead it real good to get it pliable again, or you can also nuke it in the microwave(5 seconds at a time), to help it become more pliable again after storage. Becareful with nuking it. Sometimes the outside of the fondant will feel cool, but the center will be hot and can cause severe burns. That is why I only nuke in 5 second intervals. HTH some, Jen

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 5:16pm
post #4 of 8

I place my fondant in plastic wrap, in a ziploc bag, then in an airtight container. It keeps really well.

Tat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tat Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 6:47pm
post #5 of 8

Diddo....I place mine in plastic wrap, and a zip lock bag....just reheat to soften

Sara0017 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sara0017 Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 8:25pm
post #6 of 8

Can I store the MMF in the refrigerator or a cabinet? icon_smile.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 8:29pm
post #7 of 8

i have mmf that is a YEAR old and still good

stored in a cabinet (top shelf in the back)

key is: airtight storage (double wrapped tightly in plastic wrap, then in ziplock w/ air mushed out.)

I've frozen it w/ success -- again airtight is the key.

if I made more of it and other stuff that I could justify it -- I'd get one of those vacuum sealer things.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 10:44pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara0017

Can I store the MMF in the refrigerator or a cabinet? icon_smile.gif

Mine is just in the cabinet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%