Lisa--Frosting Sheets And Other

Decorating By sweetbaker Updated 13 Jun 2005 , 2:11pm by sweetbaker

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 5

Lisa, you mention (info in one of your posted pics) that you could draw or stamp on frosting sheets? Have you tried that yet? Can the frosting sheets be cut or do you have to use whole sheet? I was thinking of maybe purchasing some just to get familiar with working with them in hopes to eventually by a printer and other items to do my own edible images. Also, did you use a mold for the candy piano? Elaine

4 replies
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 9:27pm
post #2 of 5

..I can answer part of your question, I'm sure Lisa will respond as soon as she sees your post: Yes you can cut frosting sheets...if the frosting sheets are brittle (dried out) the edges will crumble where you make your cut. If that happens, just put your frosting sheet in a ziploc bag with a moist paper towel (underneathe the backing paper, not on the frosting sheet itself) and leave it there for a few hours. The frosting sheet will absorb the moisture and you will be able it cut it just fine!

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 9:39pm
post #3 of 5

Elaine,

You read my mind. I was planning to post a question about the frosting sheets myself.

Can you use the edible pens/markers to draw on them? If not, what do you use? Same thing for stamping. Do you just use icing colors?

Cindy

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 11:39pm
post #4 of 5

Yes...I've drawn on frosting sheets. I don't like the Wilton markers though. The tips are too fat. Food Doodlers are great. I've colored stamps using the markers and that works good for making outlines that you want to color in. You can also brush on coloring pastes (icing colors) and gels but be sure to let it dry really well or it'll smudge.

You can cut the sheets as long as they're still flexible. Like MrsMissey said...they'll crack if brittle. I've also heard you can use steam or a humidifier to fix sheets that have dried out but I haven't tried that yet. As long as you keep the sheets sealed in the ziploc bag, they shouldn't dry out. They're supposed to have a shelf life of one year.

Also, I always buy the 10 X 7.5" sheets (cost the same as the pre-cut ones--circles, hearts...) and cut out the image if I need to that way I can use the leftover pieces for something else.

For the piano, I used the old Wilton piano mold. I like the new piano molds better though (I think Sugarcraft carries one). They make a more delicate looking piano.

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 13 Jun 2005 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you both Lisa and Missey!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%